PDA

View Full Version : Mayfly cripple picture

Adam Grace
03-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Here's a cool picture of a crippled mayfly I scooped up on the Yuba on Saturday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/insects/crippledmay.jpg

Does anyone know what mayfly that is?

Jasonh
03-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Not quite sure Adam. It looks like the mayflies i saw up there a few weeks ago when we were with keith. A cream/tan mayfly about a size 12 or 14. If it is the same they are quite large mayflies.

Jason

Adam Grace
03-15-2005, 09:19 AM
This mayfly was not large, a #16 or 18. Real bright yellow and small. Ithink that it is a little too early for PMD isn't it. Most PMD's I'v seen are more of a creamy yellow with a hint of olive. Maybe the PMD's start out bright yellow after the emergence?

Anyway, the cripple was cool looking and I wanted to share it with you guys.

P.S. I tried to free it but the wings was pretty stuck in the shuck.

Hairstacker
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Adam, I don't know what mayfly that is, but that is one heck of a picture. The clarity is amazing! You have close-ups DOWN -- I can't wait to see more bug pictures from you! :D

Adam Grace
03-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Based on the post from MSP today, I think that the mayfly in the pic is an early PMD.

It has been warm, maybe the weather is getting it going!

Stevie J
03-16-2005, 10:48 PM
DAMN...How do you do that! :shock:

Adam Grace
03-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Stevie, My little Pentax Optio 43WR has a cool macro setting which takes nice shots. I was also lucky enough to spot the cripple drifting down to me in the Yuba.

MSP
03-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Adam, didn't I see that fingerprint on a wanted poster? :lol: Nice photo BTW. I was checking some flytying websites and it's kinda funny that no 2 PMD's are the same. As Jason said the ones I saw Tues were large, a size 14 or a small tied 12 is just about the right size. But by the way the fish were going I think they would have hit your Bass Gurgler :wink: Getting back up there today report to follow. Wonder what this cloud cover will do? Ya don't know if ya don't go! Oh yea I already said that.

Terry Thomas
03-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Adam,
Another possibility is the epeorus mayfly. They normally start in April, however, the warm sunny days could have encouraged an early one. The epeorus is a low elevation mayfly and I have seen them on the Yuba before. Just my 2 cents worth.
Terry