PDA

View Full Version : King Kong Karp

SullyTM
03-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Greetings...My local creek is now featuring spawning carp. And, they are large! I tried leeches, wollies, egg pattern, small nymph and the carp just laughed at me! Sight fishing is fun, however, if anyone has a "secret weapon" fly I'm up for tying it. I'm working on a crayfish pattern...maybe a sculpin pattern? I'll give the beasts an evening to think about me and then I'm on their case tomorrow. Thanks. Thom

Jay Murakoshi
03-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Thom,

I've made a few posts under the Warmwater section of this board.

Are you sure they are spawning? Is there a bunch of males chasing after a female? Are these fish cruisers, mudder's or tailers? You have to take all of this into consideration. Most of the time you'll have to lead the fish or they will spook.
Take a look at the spawning carp photo

I hooked up on 3 last friday and heading out in the morning to find more of those Golden Lips

Jay

SullyTM
03-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi Jay...I'm no expert on the mating habits of any fish but this is what I observed. Yes, they were doing the same thing that is seen in the photo posted by gcmachel in the Warm Water section. I observed males(?) chasing females and several carp gathered in the shallows tharashing up a storm. This creek is narrow 10-12 yeards at the widest point...The water is moving quickly and several carp will swim up against the current and settle into a quite pool of water...even though the water isn't that deep I was flying with my 8 wt. which has a floating line. My flies are were tied with wieght on them, however, tomorrow I will be using a sinking tip line and leader. I was reading an article today about fly fishing for carp and if I'm fortunate to hook one I will be in for quite a battle. Can you recommend a fly? If I have the materials I'll tie it. I have leeches, woolies and a couple of Sully specials. Thanks, Jay.

Jay Murakoshi
03-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Sully,

A couple patterns that have been producing for me are:

1> wooley bugger - crawdad color

2> Zug Bug - #8

3> Dragon fly nymph - Olive

I'm using an intermediate line and a 10' 10# leader. Remember the most opportunistic ones will be the mudder's and tailer's

I'm going in the morning to try and get some more shots and hopefully I will have a 15lber to the hand

Jay

Digger
03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
How about a bow & arrow? I've yet to see anyone do that.
I thought it interesting when I saw the sign posted on the E. Walker.

SullyTM
03-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Jay...I went out this AM and dozens of the beasts moved upstream...It was "very" windy and I had trouble even casting 5 yards! I had on a sinking tip fly line and leader...I fished with a couple of woolies, brown and olive...black leeches...olive leeches...nothing! I tied a crawfish pattern last night, my first-ever and had no luck...until! There were 15-20 carp just moving upstream together and I got a good cast upstream and across from them...I had a backpack on and decided to take it off(dumb move on my part)...I put the handle in my mouth and no sooner than one arm out, BAM! a carp took the fly, my rod went with it(a new Sage 8 wt.0 Luckily the grass was knee deep which stopped the rod/reel from going into the creek...When I grabbed the rod the carp was long gone! I don't know how long the carp will be in this body of water, but I'll keep going back...Maybe it's time for me to visit the AR for some peace and quite! Thanks. Thom

Jay Murakoshi
03-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Sully,

I went this morning but the carp were gone. The lake came up a good two feet over the weekend. Must be alot of snow melting. The wind was also blowing and put quite a riffle on the water so it was pretty had to see.
I did take a couple shots of a red tail hawk praying on a small rabbit
I'll be back out in the morning. I know there around somewhere.

Lucky you got the rod back, these fish aren't to be taken lightly.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Take a look at my friend Chuck S. web site on carp fly fishing:

http://community-2.webtv.net/fishing-folks/Carpflyfishingthe/

http://community-2.webtv.net/fishing-folks/Carpflyfishingthe/scrapbookFiles/mailedD34.jpg

Does this picture open for you?

Jay Murakoshi
03-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Bill,

Is this a place back in Florida? I've been finding all kinds of people who are into carp fishing but were afraid to admit it. I will be having a section on my site in the future

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Jay,

You can find Chuck's email on his web site. He will tell you all he knows about Carping. He is a great guy.

I just watched a Walker Cay Chronical show a few weeks ago with Flip Palot in Ohio? fly fishing for carp in a fresh water lake (naturally).

I think it is a growing part of the sport in the USA with fly fishers.

Why not?

Chuck's web site:

http://community-2.webtv.net/fishing-folks/Carpflyfishingthe/

Mario
03-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey Bill,
I don't see the picture you posted.
Mario

Digger
03-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Did anyone see the article in the WSJ a couple weeks back? It was all about just how huge carp fishing is in most of the world. Especially England and most of Europe, the middle east, etc. The 'carpers' here in the US have managed to get a million $$$ international tournament here for the first time, in NY this year.

Gregg Machel
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Jay,
As I was surfing some of the links posted here, a book caught my eye that you might be interested in.

CARP ON THE FLY (http://www.anglersbookstore.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2881)

I checked a few places and it's out of print for the most part, but it looks like the place I linked has them.