PDA

View Full Version : BASS ???

Rob
03-11-2005, 07:36 PM
When do Large and Small mouth bass start to come into shallow water and feed on the surface?

Its been a while since I have fished for bass with a fly rod.

From what I remember the small mouth came into the shallow water first .

I think it was around April when I started to catch Small Mouth off the points of Folsom Lake.

Thanks
Rob.

[/b]

Hairstacker
03-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Rob! I am no expert on this but I believe the timing varies by location and is highly dependent on water temperature. For example, my log shows that I fished shallow water in the Delta last year on 3/5/04 and found the water temperature was 52 degrees -- absolutely no sign of any largemouths in the shallows. They might have been there but I got 0 hits. However, I fished Turlock Lake last Sunday on 3/6/05 and the water temperature there was 67 degrees -- 15 degrees higher and I managed to catch one largemouth in about 3 feet of water. By the same token, I fished Modesto Reservoir last year on 3/14/04 and the water temperature there was 64 degrees -- I caught a nice smallmouth in about 4 feet of water. Certainly by the time I got to the end of April last year, the Delta water temperature was approaching 70 degrees and the topwater fly fishing for largemouths there in the shallows was very good.

I think you're right, though, that generally speaking, the smallmouths show up a little earlier than the largemouths. But as you can see, water temperatures can vary significantly by location and I believe this is a factor. And I believe March is a good time to start prospecting the shallows of valley lakes, especially for smallmouths. I like to see water temperature over 60 degrees, 65 or higher even better. David Lee and I will be conducting further research (someone has to do it) this Sunday, 3/13/05.

As an aside, I should mention that my experience in the Delta has been VERY different from my experiences on lakes. On lakes, it has seemed to me that, in mid-summer, the shallow-water bite often shuts down around 9:00 a.m. as the day warms up and the sun gets higher in the sky. Conversely, on the Delta, I have often found the best fishing at 1:00 p.m., out in the open, on the hottest dog days of summer. Delta fish I believe are tuned into the tides rather than time of day, regardless if the sun is directly overhead on the hottest of days. A side benefit of this is I learned it was ok to sleep in. :wink: Be interesting to hear of others' experiences in these matters. . . .

Darian
03-12-2005, 12:00 AM
I don't have a lot of experience in the Delta for BB..... However, lakes and reservoirs are already turning on. My BB fishin buddy gave me a report on Thursday for Berryessa. His party caught largemouth and smallmouth on almost every cast in water from 3' to 9' deep. They used plastic baits. 8) 8)

Aside from that, water temps do play a large part in turning the fish on. However, this is the pre-spawn (maybe spawning period, already :? ) period for Black Bass. Probably earlier for smallmouth than largemouth... and they move into the shallows to get ready for that event. Water temps probably play a role in starting this process. Look for BB spawning habitat for fish. After spawning, BB return to water that satisfies there comfort and feeding zones.

Rob
03-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Thanks Mike and Darian.

It sounds like a good idea to keep a log.

I never thought the water would get 70 deg. in the Delta.

I think I will give it a try for bass next saturday.

Thanks for the info.
Rob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2005, 05:30 AM
I think the shallow water warms up quicker like in farm ponds or other small lakes.

I think by the first of April we will have lots of fishing for lots of different kinds of fish.

Black Bass & Panfish, Stripers and Steelhead should all be going great.

Rob
03-13-2005, 10:09 AM
I took my Kayak on Lake Natomas Saturday for 4 hrs looking for bass.

I did not take a rod.

Only saw 3 fish .

One 7'', one around 18" and one BIG one around 24''.

The 24 " bass is the biggest I have ever seen on Lake Natomas.

They were all in water around 4' deep.

I did not see any in the shallow water .

The fish I did see were in coves off the main part of the lake.

The coves are the only part of the lake that does get warm.

I hope to try for them next week.

Take care
-Rob
[/b]

Darian
03-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Rob,.... I don't think BB in Lake natomas are on the same schedule as in places like Folsom Lake or other resrvoirs upstream of tailwaters. As you pointed out, Natoms is ice cold :shock: :shock: all summer (by design).

If I were you, I'd concentrate my BB fishing efforts on coves/points in Folsom or some other foothill reservoir 8) 8) There're some good coves on the so. fork of Folsom. 8) 8) 8)