PDA

View Full Version : Sharpen your hooks..............

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2005, 07:32 PM
April and May are two of the biggest months for Stripers in Nor Cal so don't miss it.

I would guess that ~80% of the free roaming Striper population will be heading from somewhere south of Sacramento up the lower American River, lower Feather River and up to around Colusa on the Sacramento River.

The most spawning today take place around Colusa on the Sacramento River in May.

Having a boat is important or knowing someone with a boat will work too.

They can be caught 24 hours a day too.

I use to work in a bait shop in West Sacramento in ~1970 so I can remember how big the spring spawning run was then.

I caught my first Stripers on cut fresh sardine when I was a teenage (~1960) off a friends dock in the Sacramento River below Sacramento.

We started fly fishing for them out of an anchored boat at the mouth of the American River in April of ~1970. My friend Al Perryman told us exactly what to do and it worked.

We also had good luck in the '70s at the mouth of the Feather River.

Jay Murakoshi
03-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Bill,

I'll be in the shop next weekend for the fly tying extravaganza. Do you think there might be a chance these fish will be moving up then. I plan on coming up Friday. Maybe I'll put a rod in the truck.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2005, 10:17 AM
call the shop and ask Andy what is going on.

toll free USA 1-800-400-0359

mikebias
03-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Jay,

Got you down for the 18th. We still a go?

mike

Jay Murakoshi
03-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Mike,

You bet, send me an email with all the details. I will be in town on the 17th to spend the night.

I have the rods already rigged up but what do you suggest? Water flows, depth, etc...... I have rods from 5wts up to 9wt rigged and ready to go. Everything I have rigged now is for my carp fishing but can be switched over.

Jay