PDA

View Full Version : Bugle Lips

Jay Murakoshi
03-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Decided to go out and shoot some photo's of the nearby lakes. Went to Millerton Lake, about 12 miles from my door step. Didn't know it was a state park so now I guess I'll be spending the $125.00 for the annual permit. It'll also be good for SL and the beaches down south

Well anyway, the back coves are loaded with carp. Instead of grabbing the camera, I took the rod to the shoreline and hooked into one on my first cast. A bugle lip around 7lbs, fought like a 20lber. That one fish spooked the rest, so it was a while before I hooked into another one.
After that, I went up to get the camera's to try and hook another one.
Had the hook up, and tried taking pictures and fighting a fish at the same time just doesn't work. I need to get a digital movie camera, ahhh a new toy on the horizon. I got the fish within camera range and went to take a couple photo's. Now you have to picture this......with rod under the arm pit and trying to keep one camera away from the rod while and trying to get some photo's with the other camera. The rod was almost ripped out from my armpit and the one camera got twisted around my neck. The fish was gone. But not to fear, I'm going back next week with a guy I met who want's to learn fly fishing for carp.

I took some digital shots of some carp feeding in the weedline and some mudding. Alot of carp are in the shallows, breeding - not spawning.
Have you ever seen 15 *orny carp after one female in 6" of water. I hope to have it on slide film or some of my digital shots.

More "Goldens" to follow

Jay

David Lee
03-11-2005, 03:44 PM
O.K. , Jay ... I'll bite - What fly ???? David

Jay Murakoshi
03-11-2005, 04:47 PM
A cinnamon/crawdad color wooly bugger type fly, size 2. I also used an olive/black with a hint of chartreuse llama hair worm. I just crept it along the bottom. If I can remember how to attach a photo, I'll post a photo of some breeding carp.

Jay

Hairstacker
03-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Wow Jay, I'd like to see pictures of the flies you used too! :D Sounds like you were having TOO much fun. :lol:

Jay Murakoshi
03-11-2005, 09:59 PM
What's the procedure to post a photo.

Jay

Gregg Machel
03-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Jay,

You need to post the picture to a web server somewhere. You can probably upload it to your web site. Then you use the Img tags that you see right above the window you type your message in and like this:

I will use the () instead of the [ ] brackets so I can show you.

(img)http://www.fliesunlimited.com/images/jay_dorado.jpg(/img)

This will allow you to post a picture. If you need a place to host your picture, let me know and I'll post it for you on a server I have.

Hairstacker
03-11-2005, 10:57 PM
The way I post a picture is I upload it to my album on photobucket.com (free picture hosting site) and then copy and paste EVERYTHING in the "IMG" line (which will be clearly labelled below the picture) into my bulletin board post. Then when I do a preview of my post, the cut and paste shows up as a picture. I'm sure there are other ways as well.

Jay Murakoshi
03-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Gregg,

I already have the picture on my site provider under images.
I will try to get the thing posted shortly

Thanks for your help

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
03-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Let's try it again

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/images/carp_in_shallows.jpg

Ok, I can bring up the photo when I cut and paste but trying to figure out how to bring it on to the site

Jay

Jay Murakoshi
03-11-2005, 11:50 PM

I quit for tonight. Gotta get some flies tied

Jay

Gregg Machel
03-11-2005, 11:53 PM

Gregg Machel
03-11-2005, 11:54 PM
The extra space at the end after .jpg was causing it to fail. I removed that and it worked fine.

Jay Murakoshi
03-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks Gregg, I have another photo of a "Lipper" feeding along the edges. I also have a couple shots of a carp knocking the weeds and sipping on the lose insects but they are on slide film. I shot 5 rolls of slides today.

Carp fever

Jay

Gregg Machel
03-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Now that is something you don't see every day. Can't wait to see them!

Jay Murakoshi
03-12-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm going to try one more before I go to bed. Like a kid in the candy store, I learnt something new and I gotta keep try'n it so I don't forget the procedure

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/images/bug_eaters.jpg

Jay[/img]

Jay Murakoshi
03-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Last one, I promise.
I'll forget the whole procedure in the morning

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/images/muddn.jpg

Look exactly in the center of the photo and you will see the "golden lips" mudd'n

Good night

Jay

I will eventually be putting a "Golden Species" on my website.... Dang, what's got over me

Jay Murakoshi
03-12-2005, 02:35 AM
What!!!!!! Everybody went to sleep. Oh well, sweet dreams

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2005, 05:40 AM
I was just watching a show on Walker Cay Chronicales with Flip Palot going for carp from a Jon boat in a lake in Ohio? with an imitation of a berry that falls into the water off of trees along the shoreline.

With catch and release fishing there is no reason why carp can't be a big deal for fly fishers.

Hairstacker
03-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pictures Jay, I really enjoyed them! Love seeing pictures of cruising fish, as I imagine I'm there seeing it. I am really intrigued by the idea of fly fishing for carp and am looking forward to hearing more of your experiences.

Bill, I agree, seems like carp should be a premier warmwater flyfishing gamefish. Judging by all the stories, like those from David Lee, they are a VERY game fish, so to speak.

Darian
03-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Bill,.... The berry fly may be a Mulberry pattern but that wouldn't sit well with Ohioan's whose state tree is the Buckeye. :wink: :wink: SOoo,... we may have to develop a Buckeye pattern. :lol: :P :P

Wonder if Carp'd take an Elderberry pattern (for all the minimalist fly tyers) or.... maybe a grape pattern :?: :?: Then we could have a burgundy, Sauvignon or Port pattern :twisted: :P :P :twisted:

Sorry guys, the devil made me do it :twisted: :twisted:

Jay Murakoshi
03-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Speaking of berries, I saw some sitting next to the water's edge. I think they were called deer berries or something like that.
Just went to a sportsman swap meet this morning. Alot of junk but I did find a guy who had a bunch of fly fishing items. He had a couple Sage RPL's 5 & 6 wts for $125.00
I ended up buying 3 Fenwick fiberglass rods for $20.00 each and he gave me a Fenlite blank for free.
He also a had a Hardy Marquis #5 with two spools for $125.00 but I didn't pick it up. Had I been there earlier, he had 5 other hardy reels that one guy bought and this guy also bought a Grainger bamboo rod for $60.00 in near mint condition
Opp's, got of the subject of berries, sorry

Jay

David Lee
03-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Jay - THREE glass Fenwicks @ $20.00 each ??!!!??? Jeez .... You sure are lucky :shock: ! Which models did ya get ?? David