PDA

View Full Version : Timing for black bass & panfish

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2005, 09:17 AM
I like Arpil and May for bass and panfish but they can be cught many months of the year.

Spring is the favortite timing for many fly fishers for warm water species because they are spawning in shallow water.

AM and especially PM can be very good all summer.

Fall is another peek time as the weather cools.

My favorite thing to do is to go out in the afternoon and fish till dark with top water poppers and hair bugs. I just cast to any "edge" which is a place where the water meets anything. It can be a shoreline or a weed line. It can be any structure.

I just cast up very near this "edge" and let my popper or hairbug just sit there for about 15 seconds. Then I merely tighten up the slack and twitch the bug without really moving it. I do this a few times and then pick up and move about 5 to 10 feet down the "edge".

This is usually best from a floating device like a float tube, v-boat , pontoon boat, canoe, kayak or flat bottom boat (8'-16').

http://www.kiene.com/images/FLbass.jpg

Last week on top in the AM & PM in Central East Florida.

Winter is prime time in Florida for Bass & Panfish.

Darian
03-10-2005, 10:35 AM
I've always noted when the trees start to leaf out and wildflowers begin blooming as the start of fishing for warmwater species in ponds. I like to start with wet flies and later in spring, switch to suface. 8) 8) Always start with the wet "Green Spider". Later, the floating "Green Spider". Of course, if the spiders aren't working, I switch patterns..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Early in spring, look for structure. Later (.....or during pre-spawn or spawning periods), I look for areas with shallow, sandy/muddy bottoms. Gotta try some new waters, this year. :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Darian,

We use to have those 'Sponge Spiders' years ago and I think green was one of our favorite colors. Black was good too.

I will have to see if we can get some bodies and maybe some pre-tied as well.

We will have to have a bass/panfish outting this spring on a small pond.

http://www.stopperlures.com/floating_spider.htm

From Stopper Lures web site

Hairstacker
03-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Bill, that's exactly my approach and strategy for topwater bass as well -- look for the edges, as well as pockets near the edges, and then, after a few pops, moving down the line. . . .

A bass/panfish outing on a small pond this spring sounds GREAT!!! :D :D :D

Darian
03-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Bill,..... I still have a few of the bodies but would appreciate it if you could locate some..... 8) 8) Don't know why they never caught on around here but I've used 'em and consistently caught fish over the years. :D :D They should really be good with the new marked rubber band legs. 8) 8)