PDA

View Full Version : Picture of BWO's laying eggs

Adam Grace
03-09-2005, 11:03 PM
I was turning over submerged river rocks at the Applegate over this past weekend to find some march brown nymphs that were emerging that day. I came across a rock with it's underside covered in BWO eggs and some adult BWO's laying eggs. It was very cool to catch the egg layers in the action. Below is a picture of the eggs and BWO's. I was so excited that I could not hold the camera still enough to have a comlpetely cool in focus picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/insects/Resizeofegglawingbwos.jpg

I gently rolled the rock back over to allow more egg laying to continue. I think that it is very interesting that there were so many eggs under that one rock. I didn't see anymore eggs under other rocks.

That was a very neat thing to come across.

Jasonh
03-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Great picture Adam. It is hard to find action shots like that. I guess they are like some caddis and dive into the water to lay their eggs? You seem to get some of the coolest and best pictures. BTW, I am coming back april 9-17 so we need to get out and fish for a couple of days.

Jason

Michelle
03-12-2005, 08:02 AM
Those are VERY cool, Adam. I've turned over a LOT of rocks and seen lots of eggs but never managed to catch any in "the act." I'd probably be shaking like a leaf myself with excitement! (It's a bug geek thing.) Great capture, thanks for posting!

Michelle
(sneaking over from the NCFFB Board)