PDA

View Full Version : Bonefish on a fly...........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Bonefish are one of the nicest fish being very close to fresh water fishing.

You don't need to go on a commando trip to a serious tropical flyfishing lodge to catch them.

You can catch them while on a cruise through the Caribbean or on holiday with the family in the tropics.

Any 4 piece 6-8 weight rod with a weight forward floating line will work.

Most 9' 0x leaders will work.

The flies are very small too........#6-8.

Let me know if you need any help with this.

HC
03-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Visiting Kauai in April and wonder if I really need special warm water lines to handle the conditions there. Water temps are around the high 70's and the air is about the same. Sounds like my Delta lines will work ok. What do you folks think. HC

PaulC
03-15-2005, 07:35 AM
HC,
I was using a bonefish clear line out there (tropical rated) and a regular cold water sink tip surf line and didn't really notice a large amount of difference. The cold water sink tip was a bit more soft but still manageable with not too many tangles. It was fairly overcast and cool though when we were there, which I'm sure helped out a bit.

Here's a thread from a while back on a soCal surf board on Kauai with some info that may prove useful for your trip.

http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=720

Another interesting article @
http://www.kauaiworld.com/articles/2004/03/15/sports/sports01.txt

Have fun,
Paul

Darian
03-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Paul,..... Is that a Corbina in your photo/avatar :?: :?: If so, that's a very good fish??? Can you estimate the weight :?:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-15-2005, 11:23 AM
If you are wading in the tropics most lines will work because the water is only ~75 degrees.

If you are fishing from a boat in the summer in the tropics you better have a tropical line(stiffer) because the deck can be over 100 degrees.

PaulC
03-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey Darian,
Yeah, thats the notorious corbina aka bean.
They are probably the hardest and sometimes most frustrating things I've targeted on a flyrod and probably more addicting than steelhead IMHO.
Sight fishing, super spooky and very very picky.
That pic was from last spring, but was the best photo of the bunch.
Size I estimated at 21-22" looking at my old post.
I'm not much of a guess on weight but I would say somewhere around 3-4 lbs.
I think the largest out of the local circle of friends I fish with was in the 25" range and girthy.
I would say this size is average based on last spring's catch.
We had a good season last spring/summer...we'll have to see how things shape up this year with the bad winter weather and beach debris.
You know the season has started when you start seeing guys with fly rods wandering the beaches looking in the washline like it might contain a winning lotto ticket.
Went wandering this afternoon but not a tail in site yet...
-Paul

PS I see Jay will be up there tying. Don't know if he'll be doing saltwater, but he has a nice llama hair sand crab pattern i'll be giving a shot this season.

HC
03-15-2005, 10:35 PM
PaulC and Bill, Thanks, you guys are great! Harley

Darian
03-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Paul,...... That's a great fish. :D :D

I grew up in SoCal and fisheds the surf (sans fly) for Corbina quite a bit. They are tough to catch, even with bait. :shock: Keep up the great posts... 8) 8)

David Lee
03-16-2005, 12:55 AM
How 'bout Spotfin Croakers ?? I've heard they are a tough mark on flies .... David PS - nice bean !

Darian
03-16-2005, 11:33 PM
By the time I was old enough to know what a Spotfin was, they had been targeted heavily and were a little scarce. We used to catch them off piers. Actually, the next time I get down to LA for a vist, I'm gonna hit the surf..... 8) 8) and maybe a Spotfin or two :lol: :lol: Got a couple fo good sites down there for info/flies and Paul C for local knowledge.... 8) 8) 8)