PDA

View Full Version : First Clousers

Gregg Machel
03-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Today I decided I'd learn how to tie Clousers, so I went down to Kiene's and picked up some material ... and ... I thought I'd share with you all, so here they are:

http://westcoastdiscounters.com/images/clouser1.jpg
Chartreuse Clouser

http://westcoastdiscounters.com/images/clouser2.jpg
Black Clouser

I still have a ways to go, but with each one, I'll get better! :)

MSP
03-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Very nice tie Gregg. If you get any better at them you might have to quit your day job :)

Don't forget to try and pinch that barb down. Hate to see that thing buried in the back of your neck :P

David Lee
03-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Very nice !! Try Gray/White , too ..... that one works pretty good . David

Gregg Machel
03-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Thank you for the nice comments, you are too kind. What I usually do is bring in the samples to one of the guys in Kiene's shop and ask them to be critical of how I could have done it better. Everyone there has always had good constructive criticism, and it's helped me to become better at fly tying.

Look for me soon with these! :)

Jay Murakoshi
03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Greg,

If you can stand the heat, bring them in on March 19th when I'm there doing the fly tying demo. I will be tying up one FT clouser.
I love reviewing someone's else's flies. Not to scare you, but I had one guy almost in tears. He tied up a Sea Habit and wanted me to critque the fly. So I told him that I will cut it up and he said that was OK with him, but you should of seen his expression. But he now ties the fly alot better

Bring it on :-)

Jay

Gregg Machel
03-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Thank you Jay, you can count on seeing me there! I would love to get your feedback. I have think skin, so be honest and direct, don't worry about my feelings! :) I'll keep trying between now and then too and bring in my best ones.

Jay Murakoshi
03-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Gregg,

I'll take a look and see if I still have the tying steps for the FT clouser.
I photographed each step and put a caption under the photo

I'll check my archives and see if I still have it

Jay

Hairstacker
03-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Nice ties Gregg!! Yer gonna knock 'em silly with those! The largemouths are gonna LOVE 'em. :D

Adam Grace
03-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Jay, your FT(flash tail) clousers are beautiful :!:

Very nice flies.

I model most of my clousers after your FT's

Gregg Machel
04-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Well, I got a chance to test these flies out today out on the Mokelumne River with Kevin Doran from Delta Adventures (http://www.deltaadventures.com).

Caught about a dozen Stripers on these flies. The eyes got turn around a bit so I'm going to have to re-do them, but they performed great!

Darian
04-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Gregg,.... Congrats man :!: :!: Tying your first Clousers and catching Stripers on 'em..... Heady stuff :!: :!: :D :D

Hairstacker
04-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Gregg, way to go!! Guess those stripers told you what they thought of your flies, eh? Great job! :D :D :D

PaulC
04-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey Greg,
A couple tricks I use with dumbell eyes in the surf to bombproof them are wrapping a few tight wraps around the base of the dumbells to pull all of the figure eight wraps together. I also use Zap a Gap or UV epoxy to really make a solid connection. That has really helped keeping the eyes in place while getting banged about in the surf.
It adds another stage to the tying process, but not that much more time.
Clousers are such a staple in fresh or saltwater. I'm tying up some 3/0's now for Baja.
-Paul

Gregg Machel
04-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I did the figure 8's, and used the Zap a Gap. I'm going to try Epoxy now. Jay M showed me how he does it, so I'm going to do it just like he does and see how well it works. That first fly took about 8 stripers before giving in though!