PDA

View Full Version : Casting shooting heads

Rick J
03-07-2005, 08:05 AM
At the last San Rafael FF Show during Steve Rajeff's demonstration he raised a somewhat subtle point on casting shooting heads that is worth passing on. If you ever really crank off a cast and notice that the front of the head kicks under and the following line continues so it ends in a pile, try using a longer overhang. The long overhang reduces this tendancy. There is a fine line on how much overhang before the transfer of energy falls apart but you would be surpirsed how long of an overhang you can actually use with proper technique

rrivera
03-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Excellent that you bring up Rick... In my experiences in casting shooting heads, I found my magic formula for casting these heavy grain wonders, that will put a hurting on ya if your not carefull. But if you want a cheaper but most effective way to get a fly down into a zone, without spending the bucks on these specialty lines, learn how to shoot heads.. :!:

I use a 5 foot slack rule... 2ft of over hang & 3ft as my haul buffer. I have the 5ft of running line marked, as so my thumb and index finger do not pass below the mark.

Once I have the head in front of me, I pick up quickly, haul 2x and off I go... The key is the speed of the haul, if ya hesitate, make sure to carry a sewing kit and some alcohol. Repair and apply to wounds as many times as needed... :shock:

Darian
03-07-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm with Ray. I found a formula for casting a head that works for me and it's similar.... 8) The only time I have to worry is if the wind is coming from the wrong side :roll: or if I get tired. I have tendency to let the overhang get longer as the day goes on and my back cast begins to lower..... That's when the guide gets worried :shock: :shock:

I try to make a roll cast to bring the "head" to the surface and backcast a maximum of two times. 8) Then, I launch the whole affair into the stratosphere :lol: :lol:

The most dangerous of all places to use a "head" is at Pyramid Lake in Nevada where it's common to use a two fly cast (both wooly buggers). :shock: Many of the casters (especially waders) use the water to load the back cast and lob the forecast. This type of casting is complicated by winds that blow almost constantly. :roll:

It's all good tho...... :D :D