PDA

View Full Version : Turlock Lake Report - 3/6/05

Hairstacker
03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
Well, worked on the "honey-do" list all day yesterday so decided to go to Turlock Lake (had never been there before), wander the shoreline with my 11-year old boys and their flyrods, and try to catch a trout. It was a nice, sunny day with no wind; water level was up and just a little murky I thought from all the recent rain. We fished a few hours for trout and got NUTHIN', although I did see a kid fishing conventional gear land a nice rainbow about 17". And then I spotted this little itty bitty corner of the lake with downed timber in the water and the beginnings of a small weedbed. . . . I thought it was just a tad early in the year to try for largemouths but this just looked TOO good to pass up, know what I mean? Didn't have my Tap's Bugs with me, so I switched over to (Darian, get this!) a #6 olive crystal bugger. I then wet-waded out about 8 feet from shore to get into the best possible position and tossed the bugger within a foot of the weedbed, right next to some downed timber, in about 3-4 feet of water. Let it sink just a bit, then started stripping it in little jerks. About the 3rd strip, BLAM, fish on! Turns out it was only a little 12" largemouth, ha, but what the heck, it was good to get on the boards, you know? Called the boys over and let them flog the area for another half hour after that but that was it. Just before I left in the early afternoon, I tested the water temperature at the surface and found it to be 66 degrees, which tells me the glory days are practically here. It was good to get out. It was fun to help the boys work on their casting and line handling and they only gave up about 6 of the flies they tied themselves to the tree gods, which wasn't bad, all things considered. I have got to get the boys into fish, though, before they conclude flyrods are for folks who don't really care if they catch fish, ha.

David Lee
03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
WOOOO-HOOOO !!!! We're BOTH off the cursed list !! Hell , yes !!

Glad ya got one , sorry the boys didn't (the pond for them both when you can bring them up here) . Feels nice , don't it ??

Nice choice in bugs , yeah ??? :P :P :P :P :P

David

Hairstacker
03-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Yeah, the CURSED LIST, ha. :lol: :lol: (Adam's over there wondering what the big deal is, since he got off of it in January and has caught 140 trout since then. . . .) The #6 olive crystal bugger? Now where did I get that idea. :wink:

Darian
03-06-2005, 09:49 PM
At least it wasn't an Olive Beadhead Wooly Bugger..... :P :P Any BB caught is a good BB.... 8) 8)

Is Turlock Lake affected with a large numbers of Geese on the Banks like Lodi Lake :?: :?: I know that Steelhead run through Lodi Lake to the hatchery below Cammanche Lake. Also, I recall many fisherman saying they didn't like tangling with the geese while fishing. :wink: :lol:

I gotta get out. I'm tired of solving boat/house problems around here. Maybe I'll run down to Rancho Seco for sunfish or the american/delta for Stripers, this week..... 8) 8) AHhhhh,..... decisions, decisions :P :P

Hairstacker
03-06-2005, 10:14 PM
What?!? I forgot to put a bead on there? Lucky thing it still worked. :lol: I didn't see any geese by the way, although we did hear a ruckus being made on the other side of the lake by a large flock of something. The kids asked about it -- I told them it was velociraptors. :shock: Sounded just like 'em.

Darian
03-06-2005, 11:17 PM
WOW :!: :!: :!: "VELOCIRAPTORS" :shock: :shock: Finally,.... someone with an imagination further out than mine. 8) :lol: :lol:

David Lee
03-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Hey , Darian ..... did ya figure out where you are fishing this week ?? Lemmy know if you need a sidekick . david

Darian
03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Just spent $400.00 on a new depth/fish finder/GPS unit from Lowrance. :shock: Gotta install it. Then it's onward to the delta...... 8) or Berryesa..... 8) 8) or Lower American...... 8) 8) 8) or the Feather..... 8) 8) 8) 8) or Pyramid Lake...... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) (you get the idea)

I'll keep you in the loop :D

David Lee
03-07-2005, 04:59 PM
$400.00 bones for a fishfinder ?? Wow ..... I use leadcore and mono for that .....
You know , I always wondered if the constant "ping , ping , ping" that sonar puts out makes fishes zip their lips - or at least put 'em on guard , so to speak . David