PDA

View Full Version : Books To Read

SullyTM
03-05-2005, 08:32 AM
While everyone waits for the fish to bite what's your favorite "fishing" related book? I'll start the book club rolling with 'Double Whammy' by Carl Hiassen. Many good books have been mentioned in other posts and I'm always looking for something fishy to ready. Thanks. Thom

SteelieD
03-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Hey Thom,

I have read several of the John Gierach books. They are great!

http://www.kbrcomm.com/btwc/john_gierach.htm

Derek

Hairstacker
03-05-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm with Derek on this one: John Gierach's books are my favorites for retaining my sanity when I can't get to the water. I can read those over and over.

Darian
03-05-2005, 02:21 PM
For entertainment when in the correct mood, while working on a stiff Bushmills, I likie to read Russell Chatham's books. Reverant and irreverant at different points but always entertaining/informing. Mr. Chatham is an artist as well as a writer. 8) 8) He writes about a period when I was roaming the coast for Salmon/Steelhead and the bay for Stripers. :D Chatham wrote The Anglers Coast, Dark Waters and Silent Seasons...... 8) 8)

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Mr. Chatham is an ardent Striper fisherman and developer of the "Black Phantom" Striper fly. 8) 8)

SullyTM
03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
...I'll check out those authors.

'Fly Fishing Through The Mid-Life Crisis" by Howell Raines is a good one for all of us "mid-lifers"

Thanks. Thom

Moose
03-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Thomas Mcguane's The Longest Silence. Excellent read!

Anything by Gierach is a sure bet.

An old book, but extremely interesting and well written, John Steinbecks The Log from the Sea of Cortez. Very fun read.

Tracy Chimenti
03-08-2005, 12:01 PM
"Angler's Coast" a must read. Very entertaining, mysterious book!

Adam Grace
03-08-2005, 03:07 PM
I sure like the book "Fly Fishing the 41st" by James Prosek.

The book is a collection of great fishing adventures fishing for different kinds of fish around the 41st parallel of the earth.

Fun and interesting stories.

Darian
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Tracy,..... Happy to hear that someone else shares my interest in Russell Chatham's books. Angler's Coast is certainly a must read and as you describe, "....mysterious". 8) 8) If you liked it, might I suggest reading Dark Waters. It's even darker (if that's an apt word to use here :?: ). Altho, I found it very entertaining.

The most enjoyable part of Chatham's writings is the enthusiasm with which he approaches almost everything. In addition to the info passed on, there is a very human side to his stories.

Check out the other titles too 8) 8)

mcutchin
03-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Might want to check out James R. Babb's books if you're looking for literate, clever and entertaining. You could start with "Crosscurrents," and "River Music" is a great read as well. I rank Babb with McGuane, Gierach, Harrison and Chatham as among the great living angling writers.

Darian
03-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Hi MCutchin,..... Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna look into Babb's works... 8) 8) 8)

Darian
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Just received two more books by Patrick McManus.... 8) 8) First is "Into The Twilight Endlessly grousing" and "How I Got This Way"..... Hope to gain some insights into how I got this way from the latter book. :lol: :lol:

egabele
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Fishing Passion by Jim Chapralis is a very well written and uplifting autobiography about the pioneer of fishing travel. Makes me want to quit my job and explore.

Jasonh
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
A great book that i just finished today is Lani Waller's new book River of Dreams. It is pretty much a bunch of stories and essays of his life and some pretty cool fishing experiences. I would recommend it to anyone, especially an avid steelhead fisherman.

Jason