PDA

View Full Version : Reject Flies

Hairstacker
03-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Thom and I were having a brief discourse in the fly swap update thread about "reject" flies -- you know, the ones we feel aren't up to standard. I usually toss mine into "the bluegill box." Yet, I'm always reminded (and I'm sure others have had this experience) of the number of times when I've fished a dry fly until it was a lop-sided, chewed-up, fluffed-up ball of feathered trout spit and continued to catch trout. Or other times, when I've fished the same deerhair Tap's Bug all day for bass and found no reason to change to a new one, despite the one I'm using starting to look pretty darn ragged-looking, because it continued to get hits unabated. Now, you've probably detected, I worry as much (or more) about what other people think of my flies as the next guy, ha. But, in the end, sometimes I think we give fish more credit than they deserve. Just thought I'd throw that out there. . . . Anyone else experience good catching with "reject" flies?

SullyTM
03-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Hairstacker...I tied a couple of Prince Nymph's a couple of weeks ago on David's suggestion and they didn't turn out well...my opinion. But, I kept them and caught a Sacramento Sucker on one of them. Out posts remind me of this quote by Gladys Taber: "The curious thing about fishing is you never want to go home. If you catch anything, you can't stop. If you don't catch anything, you hate to leave in case something might bite." So keep those reject flies! You never know...

Darian
03-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Mike,..... I suspect that the reason that most fly boxes are loaded with neatly tied flies is because we haven't yet figured out how to tie a fly like the one that was completely destroyed by fish. :lol: :lol:

My personal methopd of honoring a fish getter is to retire it, maybe on a tree at the location or in a special bopx I have at home. 8) 8) 8)

Jgoding
03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I usually fish them until the flies is completely destroyed and nothing will hit it anymore but more often then not, I plant it in a tree before that happens and have to change anyways. On the slim chance that any fly survives, it either goes into the box to be fished another day or I give it away to someone not catching fish as I leave.

I keep all my flies and will fish the "best" ones first but I find they all catch fish as I lose the good ones.

Jeff

Hairstacker
03-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Darian, whether it's about red fox dubbing or material for testing barbless hooks, I KNOW I can alway count on you to provide a refreshing view that never occurred to me. :lol:

David Lee
03-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Just about all of mine are lost on rocks , trees , or given away to people I meet . Working flies , that is ..... I still have LOADS sitting around that I don't use anymore (a bunch of different reasons ...) .
I think out of every 10 I tye , I keep 2 and dump the rest on people on the river/lake/stream .
Guess I'm funny that way :roll: .... David

Hairstacker
03-04-2005, 05:23 PM
David, I can attest to you giving flies away. . . . I'll never forget when we first met, you sent me a box of GORGEOUS flies you had tied for bass and stripers, knowing I was keenly interested in these fish. . . . And these were beautiful, advanced ties that I KNOW took a LOT of time to tie. Just the way you are I guess. :wink: :D You know, I look at those from time to time and am always humbled by the state of your art -- you should be giving lessons on a regular basis. Anyone want to know how to tie a fly with material you haven't used before? -- check with David first, he has likely mastered it.

Hairstacker
03-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Thom, that is SOOO true regarding "the curious thing about fishing." I almost always feel that way, ha. I mean, how many of us have fished for 6 hours straight, through gale force winds and rain, without so much as a nibble 'cause, you never know, "the bite just might turn on and I don't want to miss it!" :D Or, likewise, you're catching fish so you CAN'T quit, ha.

Jay Murakoshi
03-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I think this is a field that fits me. Usually every year, I can fill a gallon size mayonise jar with reject flies or flies that I've tied and never used.
I use to throw away all the flies in the garbage but with the price of high quality hooks, I now look for someone who is in need of flies. I just sent out two shoe boxes full of different flies from saltwater, striper and bass flies to a youngster in Texas. At least I think he was a youngster. His dad emailed me in regards to purchasing some of my rejects for his son to use. So I found a resource that can hopefully use them. Hope I don't see them on Ebay.

If anyone is interested in rejects, I'll start saving them

Jay

David Lee
03-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Me ME ME !!! I'm first in line , WOO-HOO !!!
I'll take ALL of your rejects , Jay ..... David

k.hanley
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
.. how do I get rid of this post???????

k.hanley
03-04-2005, 05:46 PM
..and this post too???????????

k.hanley
03-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Say Hey Partner I'm interested in all those rejects you tie! Nahhhhh, keep spreading the good cheer with the future... the kids of our sport.

Does David qualify as one of the kids? He sure has fun like a kid! Yeah maybe he should get a couple just for posting first... gotta love the "me, ME, ME!" :D

Cheers, K

David Lee
03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Mr. Hanley , arrested development is the phrase you're looking for here ..... If I had more than one Jayfly , I'd fish 'em more often !!!
Stripe is in now .... want to come up and play ??? David

MSP
03-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Well I hate to say it but almost all my flys come out as rejects! I can say I'm happy I don't make a living off of them. The great thing about tying your own flies is you're not try to sell them to anyone, just the fish. I will say that there have been a few fish that have liked them, but if they were in a fly shop the bin would still be full. Isn't funny that sometimes you're catching fish after fish on one fly and when you decide it's mutilated you change to an unused one exactly like the one you started with and the fish start ignoring it! It's happened more than once I guarantee! What should we do with the ones that are just hanging around house, never to be put in a fly box again? Well cheapo me uses a razor blade and cut off the old stuff and try again. Way too much time on my hands!

Hairstacker
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Mike, I was thinking about that very thing today about how you tie on a new one and IT'S OVER, ha. Maybe the secret ingredient is fish spit? Or maybe the fish were keying in on DEAD, mutilated naturals? It is a mystery. . . .

Adam Grace
03-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Mike, you have way too much time on your hands to be cutting materials off of your hooks. :lol: :lol:

I liked the carpet skwalla, not clean but effective. I'm glad to hear that you caught some of those Yuba fish today. I hope Jason and his Dad caught some with Keith today. I hope that he will post about his trip today once he gets back to his parents house.

Good to see you the other day.

MSP
03-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey Adam, I saw Jason, his Dad and Keith launching just below the bridge while I was fishing my last spot before heading home. Jason said things were slow so far, so I hope they got a few during the last couple of hours. I did show them there were a few still in there!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-05-2005, 06:07 AM
I go through my fly boxes and take out anything that is used up or looks bad and give them to my brother Dick.

He still has my old fiberglass fly rods and old fly reels.

He usually outfishes me with all that rejected stuff.