PDA

View Full Version : MARCH FLYSWAP, SIGN UP NOW!!!

Jgoding
03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey guys,

Well, the Feb Swap is officially almost over...good job everyone. For the next swap I will be the gracious host and try to get everything organized.

It is a sculpin or crawdad swap. Pick one and have at it! Let us know what you plan on tying when you sign up if you can, but don't sweat it if you can't decide right this minute.

Deadline for signing up, will be the end of next week, March 11th and flies will be due by April 5th.

Hope to see your responses!

Jeff

David Lee
03-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Jeff - put me down for March ..... fly to be sorted out after everyone else has put down their choice . David

Hairstacker
03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi Jeff! Please put me down as well. It'll basically be a muddler sculpin variant of some kind, still sorting it out, ha. Thanks!!!

Darian
03-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi Jeff,..... I'm in for the March Swap. I'll be tying Whitlock's, Near Nuff Sculpin.

PatrickM
03-04-2005, 01:39 PM
I'm in. I'll let you guys know when I figure out what the hell I'm going to tie. Any suggestions?

Hairstacker
03-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Patrick! Suggestions for a pattern? Fortunately, I have had some field experience in this matter, as I once hooked AND landed a 2 1/2-inch sculpin while fishing for steelhead on the Russian River many years ago. :oops: :lol: (Didn't catch any steelhead by the way.) I recall the sculpin was kind of a mottled olive and brown color with a blunt, rounded, relatively large head that tapered straight back to the tail. Ugly little fish actually. So I think basically any 2" or so fly that incorporates these kinds of features would do. Course, it's entirely possible that the color varies from water to water just like other species of fish. I'm not sure color matters too much, though, as I've seen sculpin patterns range all the way from white to black with every color variation (such as gray, brown or olive) in between.

To come up with pattern ideas, I just did a yahoo search on "sculpin," "sculpin pattern," etc., and found all kinds of ideas. Mostly saw variants on the muddler/marabou muddler minnow theme, so that's what I'm going to try. I assume a search on "crawdad fly pattern" or something like that would also produce a lot of ideas, although my impression has been that crawdad patterns tend to be more complicated, typically require materials I don't have, and many appear to be a real challenge to tie without detailed instructions. . . . Having said that, I would LOVE to see some crawdad patterns from my fellow swappers. Anyway, hope this helps.

PatrickM
03-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'll do a search and see what I can come up with.

Gregg Machel
03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I want in on this one, but I've only done trout flies up until now. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good fly? I'll get whatever materials I need, this sound like a lot of fun.

Darian
03-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi GC,..... How about tying a Zoo Cougar :?: :?: Involves tying a spun deer hair head but otherwise relately easy to tie. :roll: :roll: It represents a modern version of the sculpin. Designer is Kelly Galloup, who is the author of Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout. In that volume are pictures and a recipe for the pattern along with the intended use. 8)

In that same book is a good crawdad pattern, as well. Galloup's Craw. It's an impressionistic tye but looks very easy to tie; involving only one material; rabbit strips (....aside from the thread/hook :wink: ).

If you don't want to acquire the book (I'd recommend this book to anyone wanting to catch large trout on stramers), I'd bet you could "google" it and come up with either pattern. 8) If unable to get the info on the search and still want to tie one of these flies, let me know and I'll send you the receipe you need. 8)

Hope this helps..... :D :D

Darian
03-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Hello everyone,..... OK,.... que the dummy :P :P I Just committed a major faux paux.... I gave credit for a book to one author/designer when more than one contributed :oops: :oops: :roll: Bob Linsenman, if you're reading this, I apologize. :( :(

to correct the record, The book is titled, Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout. The co-authors of this book are Bob Linsenman and Kelly Galloup. The same individuals are responsible for the pattern designs included in the text.

Again, if the authors are reading this, please accept my apologies for making this error. 8) 8)

Gregg Machel
03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I found a bunch of stuff on the Zoo Cougar. I'll do this one, looks like fun!

Jgoding
03-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Ok guys, just a quick update on who has signed up already.

Gregg M(Gcmachel) --- Zoo cougar maybe

Patrick(PM) ---

Mike S. (Hairstacker) ---

David Lee (twisted: ) ---

Darian ---

Jeff(jgoding) --- Crawdad of some sort... so many to choose from...

So we're about half way there.... If you know any other tiers let em know now is the time to get in on the action!! Beginners are more than welcome!!

Jeff

PatrickM
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey Jeff, put me down for tying an N2 sculpin. It's kind of like a cross between a matuka and a woolhead.
Hope to see some of you guys on Friday.

Adam Grace
03-08-2005, 08:34 PM
I would like to but I am going to be very busy this next month.

David Lee
03-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Still room for 6 tyers in the March swap - get in while you can , the last one was a blast !! David

SullyTM
03-14-2005, 04:58 PM
OK...put me down for a Sully crawdad/crawfish pattern. It'll be ugly, but if the fish are stupi they'll eat it! Sorry Hairstacker, my deer hair heads are still a work in progress...PM your address and I'll send you one for a critique...Hey David, did Adam shave Friday night! Thank you. Thom

David Lee
03-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Thom - Adam looked WONDERFUL (he was VERY good company , we've never hung out before ...) :P !!
It's Steelhead time here , get your Smolts and sinking lines together ! Lemmy know when you're coming up - David

Hairstacker
03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Thom, regardless, I'm really glad you decided to participate in the March swap! Fish lOVE ugly flies, so that's good enough for me. By the way, I appreciate your implication that I'm even worthy to look at your deer hair heads but, really, I TRULY can't imagine them not being up to par. You should see some of the deer hair heads I've caught fish with. Come to think of it, maybe I should be sending YOU some flies to examine, ha. :lol: You've doubtless set a very high standard for yourself. Do you think you're having trouble with the stacking/spinning part or the trimming part? I do know it helps to use EXTREMELY sharp scissors for the trimming part. I use surgical scissors for this -- they're practically like razor blades. Well, I will PM my address to you if you like, as I'm always willing to help, although I don't know if I could tell anything without having watched you actually tie it. . . . but, on the other hand, it does sound like a good way to get a free fly in the mail. (Just kidding!!)

SullyTM
03-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Jeff and to anyone who can help...I started on a crawdad pattern last night and I will be starting over...I'm using rabbit strips for the pincers and need some tying help(I don't have a digital camera so I can't post a picture.)...The strips are to be tied in front of the chain beads I am using for eyes and the hook(size 4, straight shank) will be turned over so the point is off the bottom. Should the rabbit strips be tied on the side of the hook, at the bend? I tied 2 last night, one on the sides and one on top and neither looked good. Maybe I'm being to critical. The motion I'm looking for is an "up in the air" posture when the fly is pulled and stopped under water which represents a defensive pose of a crawfish. Does this make sense? Any tips? Maybe I should be tying a sculpin??? I can figure this out, but you crawfish guys/gals probably can help. Thanks. Thom

Jgoding
03-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Thom,

I've never tied a crawdad or sculpin either, LOL. Well, I did tie up some zoo cougars like 5 years ago or so.....

Maybe try using copper wire as a support for the claws, it should help hold them up. I would tie in on the top of the hook (well, whatever side rides up so in your case, the bottom...) and then use some bulk in front of them to splay them out and up would probably be the best way to do it.

If you tie them in front of the eyes this would be harder, it's probably why you are having trouble if I am picturing it correctly in my mind. I would use a pair of stiff base pieces for an attachment and overwrap each claw up a little ways. It doesn't have to be too long of an attachment, just enuff to set the angle and splay the claws out.

Let me experiment a little tonight with this method and I'll get back to you.

Jeff

SullyTM
03-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi Jeff...Thanks for the tip. After my second cup of coffee I figured out ONE problem I was having and that is I need to tie the claws "behind the eyes". I think this will work. Thom

David Lee
03-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Hey , Jeff - How long do you want to wait for more people ?? Since the turnout is down on this swap , do you just want to close it and do a "mini-swap" ?? If we only have 6 or 7 guys , I'll tye the "Bugskin Craw" .... the best one I have ever used - I'll only tye it if we have a small signup , as they take 45 minutes a fly .

Also ..... How many are going to Kienes on the 19th ?? Maybe we can do lunch across the street @ American River Brewerey ?? MMmmmmmm .... Garlic Fries :!:
Lemmy know , David

Darian
03-15-2005, 10:22 AM
I've been planning on being there since the date was announced. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Does the brewery have onion rings :?: :?: :?: How about Bushmills :?: :?: 8) Don't drink much nowadays but like good stuff when I can get it..... :wink: :wink:

Jgoding
03-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Thom, Check this link, it's a nice step by step and he ties in front of the eyes. So if you do wrap up the bend a little more, they might stick up, might look funky though.. maybe make a small loop then wrap up a little bit, might look better.... not sure on that though...LOL.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=article&article_id=42&category_id=8&article_author=B.C.TroutHunter

David, I think I will close the swap now. I think we have 8 with Adam if he ties but so 7 people without. I will post and update I guess to let people know. Maybe it's a good thing for this selection of flies.

That's this Saturday... Well if it's raining might as well go hang out. Lunch sounds good. What time did you want to go? Eat first and then go... or hang out first, eat lunch, and then hang out more??

Jeff

David Lee
03-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Jeff - email Adam and SullyTM , I don't think Adam has the spare time for this one and SullyTM had an emergency back-east . I'm hoping to fish at the butt-crack of dawn Sat. , if one of you guys wants to join me ....

Darian -No Bush at ARB , but great Beers and nice food ...likely onion rings , as well .

Thom - I hope everything turns out O.K. on your trip .... Please keep us up to date .

David