PDA

View Full Version : Striper Hooks

SullyTM
03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Good morning...I've never fished for or tied flies for stripers. I have a couple of patterns(gurgler and a minnow-like pattern) I'd like to try and could use some hook guideance. Striper hooks come in all sizes so if anyone have some tips, bring them on! Thanks.

Hairstacker
03-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't use them myself but I know a lot of folks seem to like the Eagle Claw EC413 hook in sizes 1/0 to 3/0 for stripers. Check out the following link of pictures of flies tied with this hook (many of them are striper flies):

http://www.midcurrent.com/spinster.aspx

One of the main arguments for using this hook seems to be that it assists in causing the hook point to ride on top (versus below the shank).

David Lee
03-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi Thom ..... sizes ?? I tye for Stripes on #6 to #4/0 hooks .
Eagle Claw 254 seagaurd in #1/0 , Eagle Claw 413 jig #3/0 and 1/0 , Eagle Claw keel hooks in# 2/0 ,# 4 , and #6 .
Mustad 34007 in #2 , Mustad C705DH in #2/0 , 1/0 , and #1 .
Gamakatsu hooks as well , I can't remember the numbers right now :oops:
There's a start - David

Jay Murakoshi
03-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Here's my personal choice for hooks. Gamakatsu & Dai Ichi. I really tend to shy away from the EC 413. Not a sturdy wire hook, not sharp. If I use any jig hook, it will be an Gamakatsu style.
Right now, I'm using the gama jig hook for tying bass flies, like my jig worms, etc. and Dai Ichi for my Deer hair cranker flies.

The line of bass flies will soon be out for viewing

Jay

David Lee
03-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Jay - we're DYIN' to see 'em !!
Have you been out ? I have the photos of the 17+ Delta fish .... IT'S BIG !!!!! Take care , David
PS - I agree about the 413 ....but if the barb is flat , and the point honed , it should hold ok .

Adam Grace
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM
I like the Gamakatsu 60 degree jig hook in size #2 and #1/0 for clouser style flies.

My rainbow clouser below is tied on the Gamakatsu jig hook.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/rainbowclouser.jpg

Nice hook sharp and strong.

Only bad thing is that it is not stainless steel for saltwater fishing.

Jay Murakoshi
03-03-2005, 10:18 PM
David,

I just got home this morning from the Ontario show and even threw in a couple of fishing days. Did a slide presentation for the KRFF last night in Bakersfield. A great attendance. The shows are finished for the year and now it's back to filling orders.
I'm getting geared up for the March 19th tying day at Kiene's. Since the rainbow flies are coming out, I think the sea habit rainbow might be on the ticket.
If the river holds and stripers start to take position, I might stay a day or two and try them

Jay

SullyTM
03-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks gentlemen for the striper hook recommendations. I like Gamakatsu hooks for some odd reason...must be the packaging. In any event I'm taking everyone's suggestions and will be doing some shopping! I just bought a 24 compartment plastic box at a garage sale(25 cents) that will hold my hooks. I'm slowly getting more organized. THom