PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon boats and trolling motors

Jonas
03-01-2005, 11:15 AM
I currently have an Outcast PAC 800 and plan on adding a trolling motor. Does anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts on motors or recommendations would be welcomed. It would seem that steering with the motor would be difficult given it would be mounted right behind me. Is the trolling motor worth the expense?

Michael Baker
06-01-2005, 08:24 PM
My Son-in-law and I have been talking about Honda 2 horse motors and a thought came up. If you put a motor on a pontoon does it need to be licensed? What about a canoe? Someone told me that a boat over 8 feet with a motor has to be licensed. That would be a ridiculas pain in the ___!

Mike - roadking

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes, Any boat with a motor has to be licensed.

It is not a big deal.

Eugene just licensed my 15' Coleman Canoe because we are running a Minn Kota 12 volt, 55# thrust tiller electric motor on it, which works very well by the way.

The top tank 2 hp Honda 4 stroke outboard is a good idea because the outboard weighs (27#)........ less than a large 12 volt deep cycle battery.

Eugene Graham
06-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I have not run a motor on a pontoon boat, but I am currently using a MinnKota 55lb Electric on a canoe. It does make it a lot easier to handle while fishing, and runs very quick getting from spot to spot. I always make sure to put the battery towards the front of the Canoe, and a little off to the reverse side of where the motor is. This will help keep your canoe balanced better.

California DMV requires any motorized boat to be registered regardless of size http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

If your canoe does not have a square back "flat back", they you will need to get a motor mount. I ended up buying mine from Wolf's Marine Ebay Store http://stores.ebay.com/Wolfs-Marine_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm for $30 plus shipping. It mounts to the gunnels and securly holds the motor. Below is a photo of my mount on the canoe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/computrout/canoemotormount.jpg

Feel free to email me if you have any more questions regarding Canoes and Motor Mounts. eugene@kiene.com

Eugene Graham
06-01-2005, 09:25 PM
When mounting a motor on a canoe, you should always put it on the opposite side of your casting hand, so you can handle your rod and the boat at the same time. Don't get to overboard though. Last time I was moving the boat, talking on a cell phone, and casting at the same time. Then I missed a strike. STAY OFF THE PHONE!!! :oops:

thedryflyguy
02-18-2006, 01:53 AM
If you want to put a trolling motor on your pontoon boat make sure you buy an extra long shaft. This will enable you to reach above your head to manuever. I have seen this method used and it looks quite easy to handle.

Chuck Hintlian
02-18-2006, 09:54 AM
...It would seem that steering with the motor would be difficult given it would be mounted right behind me...

I use one on my 9ft. Colorado pontoon.

You are right, it is hard to reach, but the biggest drawback is the weight of the battery which sits right behind the seat. I am trying to figure out some way to carry the battery at a more forward position to better balance the boat.

With the motor, the boat needs to be registered. I have my numbers and tags on plastic "license plates" that I hang from the frame.

rossbo
02-24-2006, 10:33 AM
I use a wheel chair battery which is about half the size of a regular one and weighs about half the weight - 25 lbs? It's a sealed battery so can tip over without dripping acid. It probably only has half the run time but I haven't run out of battery yet. The problem is those batts are expensive.
For steering, I made a kind of U-shaped contraption out of PVC pipe with a "loose handle" like a sail boat tiller. I screwed the motor side shaft into a 3 way connector, which I sliced down the middle and attached with radiator hose clamps to the shaft of the motor about waist high. Post here if you need more info.

kbbgood
07-11-2019, 01:14 PM
I have wondered if a lawnmore battery would work long enough all day.

JayDubP
07-11-2019, 03:14 PM
I use one on my 9ft. Colorado pontoon.

You are right, it is hard to reach, but the biggest drawback is the weight of the battery which sits right behind the seat. I am trying to figure out some way to carry the battery at a more forward position to better balance the boat.

With the motor, the boat needs to be registered. I have my numbers and tags on plastic "license plates" that I hang from the frame.

I had a U boat pontoon with a Minnkota electric mounted at the rear. Bought it used and it came with a 24" extension that screwed over the factory control arm. I could reach it easily to my left and it was out of the way. I have seen several similar extensions at Cabela's.

Jim

kbbgood
07-11-2019, 10:03 PM
You guys using the Minnkota short shaft, I think it is 30 inchs? Have been wondering if on the ColoradoXT the rack is enough to carry a small cooler, a small tent and a sleeping bag, or would it be too much weight along with mo 300 lb big butt. I live close to Blue Ribbon water and need to float it and that is the Pontoon I can afford.

JayDubP
07-12-2019, 05:35 PM
You guys using the Minnkota short shaft, I think it is 30 inchs? Have been wondering if on the ColoradoXT the rack is enough to carry a small cooler, a small tent and a sleeping bag, or would it be too much weight along with mo 300 lb big butt. I live close to Blue Ribbon water and need to float it and that is the Pontoon I can afford.

If you weigh 300lbs and you want to float rivers, you need a different pontoon since capacity of Colorado XT is only 400lbs. MinnKota motor plus a battery will be 80- 100lbs. Even without the motor and battery, you could easily have 150+lbs of gear for a multi-day trip. Day trips on stillwater with motor, battery and only fishing gear should be okay.

For multi day trips on rivers and the capacity you need, I would find a used 10ft Scadden Skykomish Sunrise (1,000lb capacity) or a used Watermaster Kodiak (750lb capacity). Remember the capacity figures are from the manufacturer-- I'd stay under 80% of their capacity figure for any Class II river. I am 6'2", 200lbs and use a Watermaster Kodiak for multi-day trips.

The Skykomish Sunrise has been around for awhile so fairly often you can find one for sale around $500- $600 which is less than the price of a new Colorado XT... but 2-3 times the boat. (you could post here saying you are looking to buy one). To get it to/from the water easily, you should get the detachable wheel or you can build a dolly.

If you find a used Watermaster Kodiak for $1,000 or less, grab it immediately.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Jim

avidangler
07-12-2019, 06:25 PM
I weight 250 and have used a minn kota 30 thrust regular shaft trolling motor and a 27 series deep cycle battery with no problems,been doing it for years. Pontoon is a creek company 8 footer. I use this on lakes and rivers with little current. My transom mount is custom with the motor on my left shoulder and the battery on the other side. That way I can steer the boat easy. Set the pontoons a bit forward so the boat sits level . This is an old video of us tossing lures at Oneill Forebay. It will give you an idea anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR6NJQrlYDg