PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a 3 Weight Rod

chemdoc
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I am looking to buy a 3 wt rod for use in the Sierras in smaller rivers and streams and am soliciting advice on which to buy. I like the new Sage Launch rods and they have a 2 pc 7 ft rod and and a 4 pc 8.5 ft rod.

What are the pros and cons of rod length for a 3 wt? Is the launch a good choice in the $200 range or are there others that are better?

Any advice and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Adam Grace
03-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I have recently had an oportunity to cast the new 8.5' 3wt 4pc SAGE launch, very nice. It is a quick 3wt but it is not necessary to overload that rod. There are way too many 3wt rods out there that require a 4wt line to FEEL the rod load(flex.)

These fast 3wt rods do not feel good with less than 30' of line outside the tip top. Most of the 3wt fishing is for small trout in small water. A 30' cast is very long in small streams and creeks.

Cast the rod before you purchase it. When you csat the rod do not try to cast the entire line like most people. Cast the amount of line that you will usually be fishing.

When I fish my three weight I rarely cast more than 20'. Most of the time I cast roughly 3-6' in smallstreams and creeks. There are too many micro currents caused by rocks in small water to lay tons of line on the water.

The SAGE Launch 3wt feels nice give it a try.

Gregg
03-01-2005, 11:41 PM
My generous fiance hooked me up with the Echo 7'6" 3wt, and I have been extremely satisfied with it. It's unbeatable for the price ($129.99), and casts great. Seeing as how I don't spend tons of time with the 3wt, the price and quality fit together perfectly. Definitley have a look at it before you spend $$$ on other rods.

Hairstacker
03-01-2005, 11:52 PM
First I read that David sends his wife down wearing goggles to assess what the fish are doing. And now I read that Gregg's fiance buys him flyrods. I am clearly doing something wrong in the training department. . . . :lol:

Gregg
03-01-2005, 11:52 PM
And they think they're training us! HAHAHA!!! :lol: