PDA

View Full Version : Does it count?

SullyTM
03-01-2005, 09:41 AM
To all who have been successful...If a steelhead rookie battles a juvenile steelie for 5+ minutes and is cupping his hand under its belly(left the net at home) BUT, there is just enough slack in the line for the steelie to use when it gives that last burst of torque and breaks off...does it count? If not, well, that's why they call it fishing...not catching! Thom

Darian
03-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey Thom,..... It sounds like an involuntary release to me.... :P :P Seems to me that if you're fortunate enough to be out there and get a strike (FISH ONNNNN :!: :shock: ), it counts if you want it to..... 8) 8)

Besides, if you're not fishin' with anyone else, who's gonna know :?: :P :P (Can't make up the striked, tho :P )

SullyTM
03-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Darian...Kind of like if a tree falls in the forest does it make a crashing noise...Well, I won't count it as landed until I'm smilin' for the camera. But, it was a rush! The young buck was caught at a local creek using a black leech/wormtailred eye pattern I tied, 6 wt. rod with a sinking line...There aren't that many steelhead in this body of water, but it's a good sign that they are visiting. Even more encouraging is the other aquatic wildlife showing up...turtles, frogs, muskrats, blue herons etc..

Covelo
03-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Well if you are not going to keep a fish, then IMO once you are in control of the fish near the bank then it counts. At that point I usually give them some slack and hope they throw the hook. And of course it is much better for the fish if you do not net it or touch it. Simply reach down with the pliers and turn the hook out. Not that I am against a picture every now and then. I think Oregon has a law that says wild fish are not to be taken out of the water. Don't know about California.

Jeff Edwards
03-01-2005, 05:21 PM
You got all the fight you wanted out of it. You had it in your hands. That is a caught fish. That one counts.

Its good to hear that it had enough energy to run from your hands. That tells me it wasn't fought to death. That one should survive. :D

Good Job!

Jeff Edwards

SullyTM
03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
OK!! I'm on the map. It'll go down on the Report Card as a caught steelhead, and it was wild. Prediposed[sic] fin was in place. Time to tie a couple more red-eyed black leeches...Thom

David Lee
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Thom - GREAT JOB !!! Of course it counts .... David

Hairstacker
03-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Hand under the belly? Hell yeah that counts! Good for you Thom! :D

Adam Grace
03-02-2005, 12:42 AM
I agree with Jeff and the other guys. You got your hand on it and with some left over energy for the steelie.

Good catch :!:

Bryan
03-16-2005, 05:35 PM
I like to get a picture like the next guy. As long as you know you had it. That is all that matters. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2005, 09:02 PM
I am excited with the grab and maybe a good run and jump.............

You don't have to land them.

steve sullivan
03-31-2005, 11:26 PM
To all who have been successful...If a steelhead rookie battles a juvenile steelie for 5+ minutes and is cupping his hand under its belly(left the net at home) BUT, there is just enough slack in the line for the steelie to use when it gives that last burst of torque and breaks off...does it count? If not, well, that's why they call it fishing...not catching! Thom

Usually, most people consider it a "catch" if the leader/fly line junction makes it to the tip top of your pole. If you wanted to keep it and had your hands on it, I wouldnt count it as caught. If you were going to release it anyways, you definitely caught it. If you want to report it on your steelhead card, and you had your hand on it AND could tell if it was wild or hatchery, if you want it to count on you certainly can. It is all up to you

PS: if you are fishing a valley stream, fox's poopah is a very hot pattern. I have caught about 80 to 90 percent of my fish on it. Just today on the feather I caught a 26 inch hatchery CHROMER on it. Pure silver, when I got it home the red lateral line was not even red. The second most successfull fly on the feather has been a prince nymph in size 16-18. A couple of additions to the fox poopah are
1) instead of tinsel use flashabou
2) instead of duck flank for legs use rubber legs (especially usefull on prince nymphs).
3) between the flashabou/tinsel and vernile/chenille add a small ammount of z wing, just a little bit so the flashabou/tinsel still shows, and have it trail off the end of the vernille/chenille.