PDA

View Full Version : boat plans

Ed Wahl
02-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Hello ya'll, since I've started taking the American river a little more seriously the past couple of years,thanks mainly to Joe at the shop, it's becoming apparant to me that I really do have to get a boat.A small pram would be perfect.Being a do it yourselfer and a cheapskate I'm considering building one.Have any of you ever done it?I see a few web sites with plans but I'm not really convinced of the sturdiness of these boats.I can see getting in and out of one on rocky banks almost all the time and I wonder if plywood and glass taped seams can take it.Weight is also an issue as I normally fish by myself.Any insights at all would be greatly appreciated. Ed

Darian
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Ed,..... If you're not considering buying a pram, I've seen one that might interest you called the Toro. 8) 8)

Haven't built one myself but knew a group of fly guys who built their own and fished on the coastal river estuaries. This pram looked a lot like a small driftboat. Length about 7' (maybe less). Most of the places where they launched were loose/rocky. Sometimes sand. Room for one sitting or standing and easily fitted in the bed of a standard pickup truck or cartopped. This pram was sold in kit form and was constructed out of wood with glass seams. All of the owners I talked to loved 'em. :D

There is an add that runs in the California Fly Fisher mag for Springcreek Prams, also. Maybe not the same, but looks a lot like the Toro....

Good luck..... :D :D

Ryan
02-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Ed,
If you make a pram, and expect to use it for one man, then before you begin this huge project, you should probabley look into a pontoon boat. I have never done this before, but I could immagine that if you don't have the tools or anything to begin with, then you might be spending much more than you expected. You can get a decent pontoon boat for like $300 and a sweet one for like $600. You can also get one that you could stand up on. I don't think you would spend too much more. But building a boat does sound like a really cool project. If you want to look into low priced pontoon boats go to www.creekcompany.com I have heard they are sort of lower quality... but I have a two man one ($1000 compared to other brands $2000+), some better brands are outcast www.outcastboats.com or Dave Scadden's www.norhtforkoutdoors.com Whatever you do, I'm sure your boat will be great, drifting rivers is alot of fun, I am brand new to it, and I am amazed at all things I can do now which I couldn't do before.

Here is what I think looks like the best type of single man boat you could get for the money...

http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=7&Department=Pontoon+Boats

If you look at the pictures below, you can lift the seat up... put a standing platform/leaning bar... and a trolling motror. That's the ultimate one man set up in my opinion!

randy
02-28-2005, 07:22 PM
hav'nt done it--checked into a little. cost ave 6$/ lbs. ave wieght 80 to 100 for 8 footer. maintenance can be issue--keep out of weather,sand & touch up/repaint etc every couple years. devlins boat building good intro book to "stitch & glue"--I'll send you my copy if you want it. they glass over outside typ. to improve durability. can be patched if really damage but patch typ. shows. downside low resale if decide to get rid of . like rod building maybe have to enjoy it for it to make much sense?