PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Yuba Report

Adam Grace
02-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Gregg and I fished the Yuba today. I landed two decent sized trout while Gregg hooked into a couple but did not bring any to hand.

I wanted to fish upstream of the bridge but we never made it that far. We arrived at the river around 1pm and fished until dark but stayed right around the bridge area.

Skwalla were flying around, more than I observed yesterday. Gregg rose four fish with a skwalla pattern. I also saw way more MB adults tonight. The MBs are active but it doesn't seem like the trout are keying in on the adults so much right now. We hardly saw a rise after the adults started the swarm the river, right before dark.

Below are some picture from our half day on the Yuba.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/greggyubafishing.jpg
Here's Gregg fishing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/marchbrownadult.jpg
A March Brown Adult

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/yubatrout226.jpg
Caught on a March Brown dry fly

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/yubatrout2.jpg
Caught on my Skwalla Adult dry fly.

I caught both of these fish in the side channel by the bridge. I was totally surprised to catch trout this size out of that channel. Gregg and I were simply playing around fishing to a little rise we saw in the channel.

Nice weather today, cloudy but not cold, no rain until we left the river at approximately 5pm.

Bring March Brown and Skwalla patterns with you if go soon.

Has anyone else caught fish in that side channel?

Jasonh
02-28-2005, 06:05 AM
Adam last summer i had just finished up fishing some zonkers in the tailout on teh other side of that channel with nno luck. I hten decided to go down through there and throw a few casts and landed a large fish that i would guess was about 19-20". I then landed two more stripping zonkers extremely fast down where the channel meets the main flow near one of the pillings under the bridge. They were both around 15-16". I have seen some nice trout caught out of there though. Sounds and looks like a nice weekend of fishing you had. When we both have time lets take the spey rods up there!

Jason

jmircetich
02-28-2005, 07:36 AM
Adam,
I too was on the Yuba from 10-4. Walked up river, saw few bugs in the air despite the perfect conditions. I rose two to a skwalla, landed one and that was it. Granted I stayed dry all day. Not much was comming off except a few midges here and there.
Jon

andanb
02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Adam, I saw you and Mike working your way up the river on Saturday. I was the guy fishing the zonker. You were using the March brown. I saw Mike catch the nice fish that you helped net. What I was wondering was did you catch any fish on the march brown? I hooked on down stream on a size 14 MB. What sizes were you using?

02-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Years ago that side channel held a lot of fish.When the water is up, it still will.
Nice pictures
Sturm

Adam Grace
02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Andanb, We caught most of the fish on a MB nymph. Mike used a black AP and I used my own pattern. Sizes #14 & 12. A couple fish were caught on a Golden Stone pattern. Right now is a good time to fish MB patterns.

CW
03-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Fished the Yuber on Saturday with Ray Rivera. Started on slow glassy water, hoping for some fish up on top, gave up after getting my ass handed to me after about 3 hours. The fish would come up ultra sporadically, but as soon as the wind picked up, putting the tiniest bit of chop up on top, the fish would go down. Tried about 20 different styles and sizes of emergers of that "pinkish"/'creamish" mayfly, got very few rises. Saw a small mottled caddis (size 16), throughout the whole day. Started nymphing and we did really well. Nothing on any stonefly nymphs at all .... but smaller mayflies and caddis.

Saw BIAS and Dr. Grace, what was that new style of mending?

Adam Grace
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
CW, That was my limp wristed super mend.

I will teach you someday if you behave and not abuse Somba.

rrivera
03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
C'mon Adam.... How can it be limp wristed, and super... :!: :?:

It's either limp wristed or super..... :lol:

See ya at the shop.... :wink: Ray

mikebias
03-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Adam, Thank you for posting those great pictures and giving such a great report. I had a blast 'guiding' you, even got to teach you how to properly net some fish. Thanks again. Sunday was even better. Pulled the boat up stream again and didn't get back to the bridge until 3pm. We'll have to get RR and CW out next time.

mike

Hairstacker
03-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Adam, you're starting to make me wonder whether you give lessons. :lol: