PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Report

Adam Grace
02-27-2005, 12:19 AM
I fished the Yuba with local guide Mike Bias. We both had a great day of fishing :!: Today was the best day of fishing on the Yuba that I have ever experienced :!:

March Browns are emerging in good numbers and there are still Skallas out and about.

Here are a couple of the near eighty pictures taken from todays trip. I will post more later after a good nights sleep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/ytrout22605.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/ytrout2bias22605.jpg

Thanks again Mike.

oonchie
02-27-2005, 02:28 AM
What time were the browns hatching? Were the fish keying in on them yet?

Rob
02-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Hey Adam.

Nice fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob.

Jasonh
02-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Nice looking fish Adam! What were the opoulare patterns. Anythign i should tie up before i go up there next friday. Thanks.

Jason

Adam Grace
02-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Sorry about the breif post last night yesterday kicked my butt, I was very tired last night.

I caught enough fish to actually make me stop fishing for about ten to twenty minutes to rest my aching wrist. Those large Yuba trout gave me all they had. I'll tell you what the made my 6wt SAGE XP bend like a 4wt.

Jason, the march Browns came off around 12-1:00. Nothing much as far as surface activity. The water is fairly off-colored. The trout were definately eating the emerger nymphs though. As soon as we saw a couple adults fly away from the surface Mike stuck four in a row. DIRTY ^&%$#%$ :!: :lol: He caught those on a #14 black A.P. Both he and I caught some on my march brown nymphs but I think that I need to tie them a tad bit thinner.

If the water clears up the dry fly fishing tiwh the MBs should be great. Mike told me that the day before our trip he guided the Y and his clients caught most of their fish on top. Hopefully you guys can experience more of that type of fishing. We also caught fish on top, not too many. The picture of Mike and the nice trout on my first post was caught using my skwalla pattern. Here's the fish below, he also liked my skwalla pattern :!:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/Imgp1174.jpg

Mike really liked it bye the way :D I hooked into roughyl 4-5 fish on top and landed probably one. I was not on my game as far as that goes, but I still enjoyed every rise.

We kicked up some rocks and noticed quite a bit of golden stoneflie nymphs. We also caught some fish on that style of nymph. Most fish were taken on nymphs. I am going back today with Gregg, I hope to find clearer water and more fish on top. If not it's back to the indo-nymphing.

Not too brag, we caught a bunch of large 16-18" fish yesterday. It blew me away. Very fun day. I was glad that Mike had the opportunity to actually fish for himself yesterday. He works very hard when he guides and doesn't get a lot of personal fishing time. He will actually get out of his drift boat and pull the boat up the shallow riffles and runs. Not very easy to do and it takes a lot of energy.

Below is a picture of Mike pulling his boat up-river.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/ymikepull.jpg

Mike did a great job guiding me into fish. The day was too fun. You should guys hire mike for a trip on the Yuba soon while the MBs are active.

If you would like to hire Mike call him at 916/216-1257.

Rob
02-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Hey Adam.

Did you put in up river from the bridge?
Some of the photo's look like it.
Glad you had a good day.
VERY nice fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob

Hairstacker
02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Adam, sounds like you had a GREAT day, good for you! Really enjoyed all your pictures, VERY nice!!! Even better, you caught a fish on a new pattern of your own design -- definitely icing on the cake. :D

rrivera
02-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Outstanding :!: :!: Adam,

Good to have seen you and Mike on the Y on Sat. Glad you had a banner day.. :D

Chuck and I stayed under the bridge till late. Pulled a couple fin pigs from that area as yell. It was a great day for nymphing..!! See ya soon

:wink: -RR

rrivera
02-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Outstanding :!: :!: Adam,

Good to have seen you and Mike on the Y on Sat. Glad you had a banner day.. :D

Chuck and I stayed under the bridge till late. Pulled a couple fin pigs from that area as yell. It was a great day for nymphing..!! See ya soon

:wink: -RR