PDA

View Full Version : spey reel advice?

slimfishin's
02-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Greetings. Was looking for some advice on a potential spey reel. I'm hoping to kill a few birds with minimal stones..... so I was looking for a 9wt saltwater reel to use on bonefish that will work for my 8wt spey rod (ARC scott).

I was thinking of the Galvan torque, but wasn't sure if I could get away with a T-8 or had to drop the extra $50 to go to the T-10.

Any thought about a Bauer M-Z4 or M-Z5, given they are about the same price?

Slimfishin's

Darian
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Slimfishin,..... Not an expert in Spey Casting but it sounds like you need cross-over advice anyway.... So, here goes..... Since you're going to fish in saltwater, your choice probably should be made with that requirement as primary. Either the Galvan or the Bauer, in saltwater models, would be a good choice. I'd go for the larger capacity reel as I'm always for getting more capacity, if given a choice.

Have you considered the Redington, "Brakewater" :?: Large cork drag, good capacity, saltwater ready, price competitive..... 8) 8) All of these brands will be usable in brackish/salt or freshwater.

Rick J
03-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Depends a bit on what type of spey line you plan to use. I really like the Ross BG series - great reels. If you plan on using a long belly type line such as the xlt you will likely need largest model - BG8. But if mid bellies or short bellies you could get by with smaller sizes - maybe as small as the BG 6.

Adam Grace
03-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Slim, nice choice with the 8wt ARC, great rod.

Rick made a very good point. You need to first decide which line you will use with that line. I would suggest a Rio Windcutter 8/9/10 or Airflo Delta 8/9 for a short belly line(55'.) A mid belly line like the 8/9 Rio Midspey or Airflo Long Delta 8/9 would be nice foe a longer bellied line.

You also need to choose which rod will this reel be used the most on. If your answer is the nine weight you can use some gelspun backing to use behind your spey line.

A good recomendation for a spey reel size is to buy a reel that can hold two line sizes larger than the spey line. For example for a 8/9 Delta you should buy a Torque 10. A Torque 10 hold enough line foe a 10wt and maybe an 11wt.

For a line I would choose a 55' short bellied line. They take up the least amount of reel space.

I recomend a Galvan Torque 10, Ross Big Game Canyon 6 or the Waterworks Litespeed 4. These reels may be a little large for your 9wt single-handed line.

Lots of choices, good luck.

Adam Grace
03-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Does anyone else have a good recommendation?

I want to hear what others think is a good reel for this situation :!:

steve sullivan
03-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Greetings. Was looking for some advice on a potential spey reel. I'm hoping to kill a few birds with minimal stones..... so I was looking for a 9wt saltwater reel to use on bonefish that will work for my 8wt spey rod (ARC scott).

Slimfishin's

Dude, you really have to look at loop. From the guides I know that use them and reviews on speypages, they are a F(*#@(**(#@(* badass reel. Loop reels are made by danielson, and now danielson is selling them direct at almost half off. Read a review of the loops reels (now danielson) at http://www.speypages.com/evoteclw.htm then look at the prices at http://danielsson-flyreels.com/en/start_us.php