PDA

View Full Version : Conservation

SteelieD
02-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Check out this thread from the Northwest Fishing Board website regarding harvesting wild Steelhead and Salmon for sale in restaurants. It is a bit disturbing and perhaps with our support in the form of email protests from here we can help preserve the rivers and streams in the NW...

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=020745;p=

Believe me when I say, I am no activist/protester, etc... but this one just bugs me! :x

Derek

Darian
02-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi Derek,..... Happy to hear you're bugged by the info in your post. Interesting reading for me as well. It seems that nowhere in this country are fisheries not endangered (...not necessarily by legal definition but endangered anyway) :cry: . Loss of habitat, bad/illegal fishing practices (sports/commercial), etc., the list goes on..... :roll: :roll:

I guess the point of this note is to say that it's OK to be an activist or protestor. 8) 8) It's in a long tradition in this country and a hallmark of free speech. Doesn't mean you have to be violent, etc. I consider myself an activist and am completely unashamed to say it. :wink: :wink: Vigilance is needed to protect against perpetuation of practices such as that you've brought to our attention. Getting/staying involved, as you have done, at whatever level is important. Keep up the good work :!: :D

(I'm gonna go now...... Sorry, kinda sounds like I'm lecturing. :roll: )

SteelieD
02-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks Darian.

As guy who typically open the sports page WAY before the "world news" section, I guess when I say I'm no activist, I mean I am not the type to burn things to make my point.

As realtively new fly fisherman (and father of young children), I have found this to be a wonderfully friendly and kind community and I believe it is something should definately be preserved for future generations. Not only for the fishing, but for the commraderie.

You certainly weren't lecturing, and I appreciate your points. For now, I'll get off my soapbox... but not before reintroducing myself... Hi, I'm Derek and I AM an activist!
:wink:
Ahh, heck, I'm going to get another Sierra Nevada... good night! :wink: :lol:

Darian
02-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Derek,..... Here, Here :!: :!: Well said

Darian

Digger
02-26-2005, 09:52 AM
I've seen similar events on the Klamath. It can be disturbing to witness.
I guess I'm a little confused, or perhaps naive.
My understanding was that native american netting was for subsistence and not commercial puposes, other than their own limited sale to the public.
Perhaps Washington state is more liberal (imagine that) with their native american policies.

I too, am no real activist, conservative republicans usually aren't. However, this is where I break ranks with my political party members. Over the last several years I've become more and more savvy with issues over the environment, especially the rivers and fisheries. I find myself looking for these inequities on a regular basis. The Klamath in Sept 02, really left an impression on me, especially after hearing all the various responses from all sides.

Then again, to be truthful, wild salmon or steelhead is hard for me to pass up when I see it for sale at the market.

Digger
03-09-2005, 03:49 PM
I hope it's ok that I post this. Perhaps I'm naive in thinking that we actually might get some consession from a utility company. I don't know what gets me more, the fact that they feel they can ignore the requests, or that it's a foreign corporation.

http://capwiz.com/friendsoftheriver/issues/alert/?alertid=5432071&type=SW

LostInTheFog
03-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Locally, Bel Air Markets is advertising "wild steelhead trout", and Alberstson's is advertising "fresh steelhead fillets."

Does anybody know from where these fish were harvested, and how, and by whom?

Digger
03-09-2005, 04:49 PM
I've wondered the same myself. The color usually gives it away and when I question the counter people, it ends up that they are farm raised.

Darian
03-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I was under the impression that Salmon were a commercial fish in the ocean but not in protected (estuaries, etc.) water. Steelhead were supposedly a game fish and not subject to commercial take unless it was incidental...... (Of course, that was prior to designation as threatened under EPA). I'm not sure what the protections are, now :? :?

If my understanding is correct, wild Steelhead could not be sold in a restaurant in CA. (not sure about other States..... :?: ) To be legally sold, Steelhead could only be pen or farm raised. Maybe the best way to find out what's actually being sold is to ask the vendors :?: :?: Of course, we all know that advertising statements are always accurate.... :wink: :wink: