PDA

View Full Version : Klamath

Rick J
02-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Heard some rumblings of some fish in the Klamath so Bruce and I are going to break out the old jet boat and go play with the spey rods for two days - will let you know how things go.

Rick J
02-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Spent Friday and Sat on the lower Klamath - very big water - around 11,000 cfs+ but really clear! Few boats out so it was great to get on teh river with few folks. Went with Bruce Slightom and John Barrena, both accomplished spey casters. Good to break out teh sled from storage. Few fish though Bruce was high rod(what's new!) with a number of half pounders - very fat and good sized fish plus one small adult. John had two nice adults - the biggest around 23 inches. Due to high water it was tough finding good holding water - most of the summer runs were just pushing too much water. Mettah was probably the best run with the most fish.

Good tune up with the spey rods for an upcoming trip to northwest Oregeon where Bruce and I are fsihing with Scott Odonnell for two days next week!

stevie steelhead
02-28-2005, 09:08 AM
The Trinity River flow caused most of the high water where you fished. The South Fork of the Trinity had a slide and colored the water. However, the Klamath above Weitchpec was aqua-green/blue. Big adults crashing through probably going to the Salmon River or the Scott River. I caught 5 adults just above the confluence. Word on the street from metal/bait fisherman, is that Hoopa Valley has a run happenning too, but too cloudy for flyfisherman.
The water is high and fast, so it's dangerous, falling into the cold water is not a good thing.
PT flashback and rubber legged 3D nymph were the best flies, dead drifted, nymphing. :P