PDA

View Full Version : Dry fly dubbing?

Jasonh
02-24-2005, 08:17 AM
I would like to purchase a large variety of colors of dry fly dubbing. What dubbings do you prefer and are they only available in single packs or a combination of colors. Mainly going to use this dubbing for tying flies for places around northern california and southern oregon. Thanks.

BTW, how awesome is this board now! I am having so much fun with it.

Jason

Hairstacker
02-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Personally, I like to go with natural dubbing when the pattern or color calls for it, if it's readily available, like muskrat for the Parachute Adams, etc. But when I'm tying Light Cahills and can't find good urine-stained belly fur from a red fox vixen, I go with Superfine Dry Fly Dubbing. Very clean, very fine, easy to dub with. You can buy it in a couple versions of various boxed colors or in individual packets.

Darian
02-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey Mike,..... I have a source for urine stained belly fur from a Red Haired Fox Vixen about 5' 8" and ......oh, nevermind..... :roll: :roll: :lol:

Terry Thomas
02-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Jason,
The best norther Cal pack that I have found is by Buggy Nymph. It is called the Mike Mercer Selection. Mercer has created many super flies for fly fishing in the West. This box has 12 colors in it. How's the g-game? E.P. has a big job ahead of him with me.
Terry

Jasonh
02-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Terry, the golf game is pretty good. Just getting ready for a few tournaments here coming up in two weeks. I am actually coming back to Sacramento next week for a few days to work with Eric for a couple of days and to fish the yuba with Keith on friday the 4th. Really looking forward to that! Eric is a great teacher and you are in good hands. We just need to get him into some fish now! Thanks for the buggy nymph recomendation. Take care.

Jason

Hairstacker
02-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Darian, I CAN'T WAIT to get a peek into your fly boxes. . . . :lol:

JD
02-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Not wanting to sound critical, but it is called Buggy NYMPH for a reason. Absolutely great stuff but a bit too coarse for dries, especially small stuff.

Superfine is wonderful stuff to work with and you can get it preloaded in boxes of 12 colors (2 difference assortments available) or individual packets. Dubs nice, tight bodies and can be used on any size dry fly, and even some wets (e.g. Mercer's Micro Mayfly).

Natural fur is another good alternative. Beaver is a great fur to dub dries with, and you can find preloaded boxes of various colors, or individual packets with just a little looking around.

Adam Grace
02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
It is funny that you guys are talking about dubbing assortments. I have just been working on bringing in different dubbing assortments. We will soon stock a super fine(dry fly) dubbing, Mercer's Buggy Nymph custom colors, Randall Kaufmanns' SLF custom colors, Rabbit dubbing and Ice Dubbing in a trout color selection.

The two assortments I am most excited about are the Ice Dub and Mercer dubbings.

They should be in the shop before the next weekend.

SullyTM
02-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Adam...Ice dubbing is an interesting material. I've used a Caddis Green Ice dubbing for a Sully Beadhead creation. It doesn't spin on the thread like a fine dubbing, but that could just be me. I don't use a dubbing loop(learning how to do it) but the material has a nice sheen to it. The finished fly looks good. Stock away! Thanks. Thom

Adam Grace
02-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Sully, with Ice Dub you have to use a little amount at a time. Ice Dub is actually one of the nicest synthetic dubbings out there for simply spinning onto thread.

Ice Dub is one of my favorite dubbings. I use it to add flash when I blend diferent types and colors of dubbings.

Bob Scheidt
02-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey tiers! When you get a chance, take a look at the Ice dubbing color, peacock black. They hit this one right on with the peacock black sheen being an irridescent color like a beetle may have.

Bob Scheidt

Jasonh
02-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Your right on with the peacock black ice dub. I think i might use thta specific color of dubbing more than any other. It is great to use as the head on any caddis pattern and also looks good when dubbed on the body of egg sucking leeches. It has great flash and appeal to it.

Jason