PDA

View Full Version : Clear lake Crappies ....

David Lee
02-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi guys , I've heard thru the grapevine (when have I ever spread rumors :roll: ) that the Crappie in Clear lake are going great guns !! Any first hand reports ?? Anyone keen to go get 'em ???? :idea:

Well , it's a thought - David

Darian
02-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Hi David,..... Have heard the same information from my gear fishin' friend. He says the Crappie that're being caught are in the 3lb. range :shock: He didn't say where, in the lake, they were being caught but when he and I fished up there last, we fished out of Clear Lake Oaks at Rattle Snake Island. 8) Lotsa overhanging brush/trees, reeds/stuff, rocky shoreline. Shoreline at the island is relatively deep..... 8) 8)

Wonder if an Olive Beadhead Wooly Bugger'd work :?: :?: :P :P

Only one problem for me, Clear Lake is not one of my favorite places to fish... :roll:

Hairstacker
02-24-2005, 12:03 AM
One thing I learned catching tons of crappie as a kid in Texas is that if you can find wood under water, you will find the crappie. So, if I was to target crappie in season at Clear Lake or anywhere else, I would do my best to locate under water tree branches, brush, stumps, etc. I believe they love this stuff as much or more than bass. Just thought I'd throw that in. :D

David Lee
02-24-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm thinkin' under/around docks at night with the lights on .

A raid in the dark , perhaps ???? David

Adam Grace
02-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Crappie relate to Structure!

But they still give up after 10 seconds of fighting :!:

Most come in on their sides.

They are only good if you like to eat them in my opinion.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Just my opinion!

David Lee
02-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Grease up the drag on your Abel , Adam .... You're gonna need every inch of that 250 yards of backing when you stick that 11-inch Crappie !!! David

Darian
02-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Adam,..... In my misspent youth (when was that :?: :?: ), spent many an afternoon/evening using a 12' Calcutta Bamboo rod with a 10' length of line, 5' leader with float (....wait a minute, isn't that spey casting :?: :P :P ) and a "minner" catchin' Crappies. I agree that they're very good eating. Wasn't much interested in the fight. Of course, on a 1wt Spey rod..... :?: :?: :P :P

Now we're gettin' into my kinda fishin'.... 8) 8)

Hairstacker
02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Ah David, you bring back some fond memories of warm nights fishin' a dock under a bright light. . . . Docks were always good for crappies and the light would also bring in a lot of bluegill. . . .