PDA

View Full Version : Fly Casting Technique

SullyTM
02-22-2005, 01:33 PM
What is bad fly casting technique? Let's hear from the experts...I bring this up because I am rehabing a sore shoulder and bicep that I can trace to my fly casting...I'd like to hear from those of you not in pain. I'm thinking that an improper backstroke is probably at the root of the problem...but I could be wrong. I'd like to save the "old age" excuse for somethin important! Thank you.

Jgoding
02-22-2005, 04:06 PM
Hey Sully,

Bad casting technique, I invented it!!!! I will be putting on a demonstration soon on the American, what not to do and how to do it well.

Jeff

Darian
02-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi Sully,..... Have you confirmed, with a doctor, that fly casting is the cause of the pain that you've experienced :?: If so, following the recommended medical solution and some casting lessons will probably help. 8) 8) Also, It never hurts to use proper casting techniques.

If you're guessing as to the cause, then be careful not to jump to conclusions about the cure. For example, I've been a constant racquetball player since 1977 and, at times, have experienced tendonitis in both my elbow and shoulder. :cry: Each time I had to consult either an MD or a physical fitness instructor. All of them were relieved thru use of rest, minor medication, proper exercise and stretching techniques, and weights to strengthen myself. 8) If you have access to a physical fitness intructor, the advice you would receive may solve the problem.

Good luck :D :D

Darian
02-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi Sully,..... Have you confirmed, with a doctor, that fly casting is the cause of the pain that you've experienced :?: If so, following the recommended medical solution and some casting lessons will probably help. 8) 8) Also, It never hurts to use proper casting techniques.

If you're guessing as to the cause, then be careful not to jump to conclusions about the cure. For example, I've been a constant racquetball player since 1977 and, at times, have experienced tendonitis in both my elbow and shoulder. :cry: Each time I had to consult either an MD or a physical fitness instructor. All of them were relieved thru use of rest, minor medication, proper exercise and stretching techniques, and weights to strengthen myself. 8) If you have access to a physical fitness intructor, the advice you would receive may solve the problem.

Good luck :D :D

SullyTM
02-22-2005, 04:50 PM
Darian and Jeff...No I haven't consulted a doctor. I'm relunctant to spend $$ on an injury that I can control. I'm pretty in tune with my ailments and as long as I can tip a cold one then I'm happy...The casting is probably just a supplement to some of my job(videographer) which does causes some shoulder/arm discomfort...Ice, heat, massage has alwyas been the ticket to healing.
Jeff, bad casting technique! I'm happy if I can get 2-3 good ones in a row! I think technique is a personnal preference. What's good for you may not be good for me. I'm learning more and more as I spend additional time on the water...See, you can teach a old dog new tricks!
Tight Lines.

Terry Thomas
02-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi Sulley,
Good question. I just picked up the latest issue of Fly Fishing in Salt Water and there is a good article written by Lefty Krey. The title of the article is "Defeating Joint Problems." Give it a read...just might be what the Dr. ordered. (Jan/Feb. 2005)
Terry

SullyTM
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi Terry, My first reply didn't go through? I'll check out the article. Like a bad golf(like mine) a bad shoulder rotation when casting could contribute to a problem. I'm doing the home therapy and hopefully that will correct the problem...Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I think if the fly goes where you want it to go and you don't hurt yourself or anyone else while doing it, then I guess it is just fine.

Jeff Putnam
02-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Bad casting techniques can cause sever problems not only resulting in poor performance but also damage to the body such as long term muscle damage, tennis elbow, carpal-tunnel or just sore muscles and joints. A large percentage of my students show up for their first lesson using too much energy to cast or are positioned incorrectly, refering to the position of the casting arm in relation to the body, such as the height of elbow, angle of elbow, therefore, they are casting with a very poor technique, using more than enough energy to tire not only themselves but me as well, from just watching. Having someone diagnose your casting during a lesson is probably the best advice, (my students think so :lol: ). Also, consider another style of casting, Lefy has a techinque, longer stroke, Mel has more of the compact stroke and maybe something in between is better for you. A professional casting instructor can also help to identify which one you should use. Last but not least, you might try single hand spey casting...it eliminates about 60-80 percent of flase casting.... ahhh...... less effort, better presentations, longer presentation time, less chance for knots, cool to watch, bla, bla, bla... good luck, jp

SullyTM
02-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Jeff...Your comments have alot of merit. Thanks to you and the others for offering some insight. Thom

David Lee
02-24-2005, 01:22 AM
I think if the fly goes where you want it to go and you don't hurt yourself or anyone else while doing it, then I guess it is just fine.

There's a lot of truth in that .

BUT - what happens when you're "out" of it ?? I can (and do) bomb lead-core waaaaaay out there , also not half-bad in tight (I started flycasting on a Smallmouth stream you could spit across , goof up , and you're fishin' for birds) . But give me a floating 5 wt. line and tell me to hit 65 feet ...

It ain't gonna happen .

So ..... find a friend that has a FIRM grip on proper flycasting , or rent somebody that is FFF certified and learn the right way to do it . In the end , how many of us are REALLY happy w/ our casting ? Can you curve-cast a popper around and behind a brushpile ? Can you cast downstream and get 15 feet of slack before drag sets in ? When the Shad are at 90 feet , can you cover them ?? Are you "beat-up" after casting for 9 hours ??

None of this is pointed at anyone except myself , I know I'm drifting off-topic ... But why not stack the odds in YOUR favor ? I WILL work to learn the "right" way to do it , and maybe become a good caster someday . David

Adam Grace
02-24-2005, 02:14 AM
Hey guys I believe good casting technique is important :!:

Too many fly fishermen simply "get by" with their casting. I believe that casting is one of the most important aspects of fly fishing. If you cannot deliver the fly properly to the fish you will strugle to catch fish and maybe strugle to enjoy this sport. I fly fish to challenge myself, as well as many other fly fishermen that I have talked to.

In my mind casting is a great art :!: The better your casting the better you can present the fly to the fish and hook up more often.

Some fly fishermen don't care about casting and "get by" and still catch fish, mostly indo-nymhers(don't want to offend). But there is a whole other side to the art of fly fishing. I hope you all get to experience the technical side which offers more rewards of self accomplishment in this great sport.

Experienced and accomplished instructors like Jeff Putnam offer a relatively inexpensive means to improve fly fishermen's skills. Jeff has helped me more than I probably relize. I am lucky to work with an instructor like Jeff and recieve the free casting instruction that he has offered me over the years.

Proper casting takes time along with the breaking of a few bad tchniques.

I truely feel that good casting makes the sport more enjoyable :!:

SullyTM
02-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Boy Howdy! Hitting a spot 65 feet upstream with a 5 wt.?! Not in my lifetime. At the local creek I frequent you can literally spit across the width of the water, unless I get in the water. Then I can actually cast some fly line. The good thing about this Forum is you never know who will offer opinions...Adam makes an excellent point about "getting by". I try not to take things to seriously when it come to fly fishing, however, "understanding" how to get better makes for a better day on the water for me. I too like to challenge myself...just how do you tie that bimini knot? Gotta go. Time to practice my curve cast...David's testing me later. Thanks.

gryhackl
02-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Sully
I have a video format of Lefty's "Aids To Casting Instruction" on my
desktop which I'll be happy to email to you. It's like golf, in that once a few fundamentals are in place, it sort of just comes together for you.
Lefty's Aids illustrates a couple of these fundamentals and I'm sure
they'll help.
Tom

Stevie J
03-06-2005, 11:39 PM
A great exercise to help become more effecient and thus use less energy and motion is to practice casting with just enough energy to keep the flyline in the air. Casting slowly,while maintaining a good loop, will teach us to trust the rod more, get our stops right and use our muscles less. We all use WAYYYY to much energy.