PDA

View Full Version : Black bass & panfish are good all winter in ........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2005, 09:06 AM
.................................Florida.

Mexico & Cuba too.

Actually, this is the big bass/panfish season in Florida. All winter.

I am headed there today to romp with my grandkids on the central east coast below Cape Canveral on the Indian River Lagoon.

It is also the American shad run right now too on the St. Johns River.

The Snow Birds fish black bass and play golf all winter down there.

They get Refish down there in the winter and Snook.

Will report with pictures soon.

Hairstacker
02-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Good for you Bill! Looking forward to the pictures. :D

Hairstacker
02-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Which reminds me, ah, the St. John's River. I remember in the very early 70's, there would be an ad in the back of every issue of Sports Afield magazine touting it to be THE bass capital of the world, complete with pictures of HUGE bass. My fishing partner of the time and I used to drool over that ad, and we made a pact that, when we grew up, that's where we were heading to live, ha. Never did happen, of course, and I understand the glory days for bass are over on the St. John's. Nevertheless, central Florida in general still has the reputation of being one of the great bass centers of the world, along with certain lakes in Texas, California, and a few others. We, of course, are fortunate indeed to live next door to the California Delta, one of the premier bass fisheries of the entire country. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi HS,

The black bass/panfish fisheries in FL are so beautiful and exotic.

I can't wait to explore more this trip.

I fished the famous"Stick Marsh" (20 min from my place in Sebastian, FL)and looked at "Blue Cypress Lake" last November.

Look them up with Google or Yahoo.

Have a friend, Bjorn Straube below, who lives in Melbounre, FL who knows lots of places to fish.

http://www.kienesflyshop.com/images/bjorntarpon.jpg

Hairstacker
02-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Well Bill, I did as you suggested and did a search on "Stick Marsh Florida." I have concluded you shouldn't waste time to "explore more this trip." You should head directly to the Stick Marsh from the airport and stay there until it's time to fly back. You can call your grandkids on your cell phone and have them meet you there, ha. AMAZING number of HUGE bass that have come out of that place. How's this for a description of a 10 lb bass:

"The bass came out of a bush about twenty five feet to the left of the anglers lure and made a submarine like wave all the way to the lure."

You might just land one of these Stick Marsh bass on a topwater hairbug:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/StickMarshbass1.jpg

You lucky dog!!! 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Notice the white belly on that big bass............

Just like the ones in the Dave Whitlock bass video in FL at Crystal Springs.