PDA

View Full Version : San Rafael FF Show and new rods

Rick J
02-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Got to spend a rainy day at the SRFF Show. They have a lake that allows playing with spey rods and give the Simms jacket a work out. Saw Steve R cast his 17' tournnamant rod into the next county!!!

Brought a number of reels loaded with xlt's and deltas. Got to try out several new rods including the new Scotts - very sweet casting - tried the 1307 and 1408. Did not have the 1509 to try. Also tried the new Loomis dredger. Took awhile to get used to it loading way into the blank but it was set up with a skandinavian head and heavy cone head fly and the system really works!!

Really impressed with Gary Anderson's rods - he has a series of 13'3" from 6 wt through 9 wt. The 8 cast most of the 7/8 xlt like a dream!! Really cool is a 12' 3 wt and 4 wt!! The 4 casts a 9 wt steelhead taper. Very fast but a trout fisherman's dream and great for the Klamath half pounders. Not sure if it was the same series but he has a 4 wt and 6 wt 9 foot rod that takes an insert to make a 12 ' spey rod - very cool!!!

Adam Grace
02-22-2005, 12:07 AM
The New Scott LS@ rods felt unbelievable! Very light and powerfully smooth. Gregg and I spent quite a bit of time casting the new LS2s.

The Anderson 4wt was also very nice. Great small spey rod.

The rain was coming down, look at the picture below. We're studs!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/srgreggwetspey.jpg

Gregg is picking up spey casting very quickly. I am jealous!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/fishing/srspeycasting.jpg

Check out the look on my face, I'm the goofy one casting :D

We had fun, even got to hang out with old employee Matt Johnson.

Good Times.

Jasonh
02-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Adam, do you think that the Gary Anderson 4 wt spey might be a good trout rod in the future. I would like to get something light for the trout we have in a local river down here in texas. Any more thoughts?

Jason

Adam Grace
02-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Jason, Hell YES! That little 4wt felt great. Only downside is that line companies do not make spey lines that small. You have to modify some existing lines for them to work wiwth the rod. Gary and his guys know which one feel the best. I remember that the 300 gr version felt the best to me on the rod.

I'll try to get some more info for you later.