PDA

View Full Version : San Rafael Wrap Up

Jay Murakoshi
02-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey Gang,

Just got home from the San Rafael show. Another 3 great show days. We had crowds everyday, even though we had some heavy rains, but the rains kept people off the rivers and in the show building. The casting clinics and demos went off without a hitch. I must hand it to those who participated. Most came back in looking like a drowned rats but they got a look at reality fishing. It's not always go to be sunny and warm.
The inside programs were also well attended. Most people who went and watch Joe Humphreys do his thing, probably saw Joe for the last time. This is his last year on the show circuit. Both Ken and I had breakfast with Joe, AK & Bob Jacklin everyday, actually for the last 3 years now. Three of the nicest gentlemen you will ever meet.

On Saturday night, my partner Ken Hanley was inducted into the NCFFF
Hall of Fame. It was a great event. A sellout crowd with alot of friends in attendance. It was great to see Andre Puyans and his wife there.
There were alot of big raffle prizes auctioned off in the live raffle. Two trips to Argentina (for 2) were sold for $7,000.00 ea., a trip to Baranoff Lodge in Alaska was also auctioned off. If I would of found someone who wanted to go to Argentina with me, I would of bid on that item. No one at the table wanted to go. I asked Ken but didn't want to go. I did end up getting one auction item. I bought a new Sage rod, Tibor Reel and a Airflow depth finder line in the auction. All I wanted was the Tibor reel, the Sage rod might go up on Ebay next week.
I'm also trying out a new vise or should I say new for me. Norm Norlander gave me one of his vises to tryout and see how I like it. It took me two days to figure out the bobbin, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great bobbin. I love the way it retracts.

Enough rambling, See you on March 19th.

Jay

PS. I did see Adam and his friend late this afternoon. Sorry but I forget what you friends name. Gotta redownload my brain for this upcoming weekend in Ontario

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Great report Jay.

I know we are very lucky because we enjoy seeing all the old friends when we go to the shows.

It is a fact that we are all getting older too.

I just read somewhere that Lefty just turned 80.

Jgoding
02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Hey Jay!

I purchased a nor-vise about 6 months ago or so. I love it. I use the micro jaws though and not the in-lines. Once you get used to that bobbin, it's hard to go back to a regular one..... but in my opinion, it's one of the best designed bobbins out there as far as functionality.... Norm is a great guy too.

Jeff

Gregg
02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Adam and I attended the show Saturday and Sunday and were absolutley blown away with the whole experience. I was especially in awe of all the "big wigs" I was able to meet, like Andy Burke, Mike Mercer, Ken Hanley and Jay Murakoshi among others. The reps were incredibly friendly and seemed genuinely interested in what we were into and what we (especially Adam) thought about the new product. We were able to cast a variety of rods (I spent most of my time at the Scott booth, drooling over the G Series 4 wt). I'd certainly say some of the standouts were the Scott E2 5 wt, Anderson Custom 4 wt spey, and the Scott LS2 7 wt Spey, and of course, the Scott G 4 wt. I don't know the first thing about spey casting, but Adam gave me some pointers and both the Anderson 4 and the LS2 7 stood out to me. I was surprised as well by the number of people trying spey rods, it seemed to be a majority of casters on the pond. We were fortunate enough to meet several great people as well. The Rio reps, The Reno Fly Shop guys, the guys from Outcast (check out the Trinity tube, it is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen), Jason from Scott, and the Lees Ferry Guides were all a blast to meet and hang out with. Good company for sure. We caught a slide show on Patagonia/Chile and it looks like absolute paradise. Enough to make you consider packing up and moving South, way South. We got to check out Ray Rivera's new Hyde boat as well, which was an absolute beauty. Overall, the show was a great experience and I learned so much. If you didn't go this year, you missed out. Definitley take the time next year to drive out and see everything if you can.