PDA

View Full Version : White Sea Bass

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I know that the WSB has made a comeback in past years. Whne I was younger I read about their decline on the Pacific Coast.

Now they are coming back.

I hear they get them near the Capitola pier in July?

I also read where they get them to near 80# with conventional tackle off Southern Cal.

I saw two 20# beauties at the Monterey Aquarium.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/images/articles/white_sea_bass_02a.jpg

Jay Murakoshi
02-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Bill,

The WSB can start showing up around late July and could go though September. This past couple of years have been pretty dismall. Four years ago, on opening day of salmon season, they were right off the Aquarium in Monterey. They were big ones, some went 40 to 60lbs. I hooked one on a fly that was 18lbs. When they do come it, the Capitola area is probably the best location. One year we found them 50 yards from the boat launch and had a hayday. I have 37 and my fishing partner had 17. He was keeping count. After 5, I don't keep count. I hope we see them this year.
You can rent a boat right there at Capitola wharf and only have to motor a short distance.

Jay

Darian
02-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Jay..... What type of fly do you for use for WSB :?: Squid or Sea Habits :?: When I was growing up in SoCal, we used squid above all other bait for WSB 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
02-22-2005, 08:26 AM
I will use a variety of flies. I have some llama hair squid flies tied on 5/0 Gamakatsu spinner bait hooks. They are only 4-5" long. I also use the white knight sea habit, since one of their main foods are the anchovies inhabit the santa cruz area at this time of year. Another fly is the hollow fly tied olive and white
Most flies are tied from #1 up to 3/0 with 2/0 being the standard hook size.

Jay