PDA

View Full Version : Hi and Advise

Strawberry
02-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Greetings,
I am new to this area and would like to introduce myself. Comming from a background in the Rockies this California stuff is eclectic. I have met a few of you in the shop and am always looking for new and wild haunts. Though I like to fish by myself I do enjoy tieing flies.
I would like any information you have on where to fish in this area. Especially palces that are open now.
Peace to you

Strawberry
02-17-2005, 11:00 AM
The Universe begins in your heart and leads to a river where your fly rod points toward the heavens as you drift through the healing places.
Strawberry

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Here is a link to a story I wrote for "FlyFishNorCal" web site:

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

It talks about the timing of the runs of fish on the river from my perspective being in the fishing tackle business near it for 40 years now.

Darian
02-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Hmmmm,..... "California stuff is eclectic." :?: named Strawberry.... :? Philosophical, too. 8) 8) Does the Rockies influence do this to fisherpersons :?: :P :P

Anyway, there's a whole bunch of fishing in this area as the topics on this BB indicate. Plus, there's the information Bill posted for your reading. You're in good hands :)

I'd recommend picking a place (lake/river/delta), get a map and explore. Stop at local towns, etc., and ask questions; then fish. 8)

Be open to more than trout fishin' ("not that there's anything wrong with that", e.g. Seinfeld) and you'll find that this place can be a whole lotta fun (while being eclectic) :D :D

Good exploring to you :D :D

Darian
02-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Strawberry,.... just a quick follow-up on my prior post..... Join in on the fly swap thru this BB and you'll gain some usefull, very good flies, for free. 8) Yet, another good way to learn an area 8) 8)

Hairstacker
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi Strawberry and welcome! You want information on where to fish in this area? Gosh, don't we all, ha! So many types of water and so many different species of fish. . . . What are you interested in? What kind of equipment do you have? How far are you willing to drive? Do you own any watercraft?

Having said that, I think you'll find many folks reticent about posting fishing locations on a public Board read by MILLIONS everyday. I doubt very seriously that anyone is going to share their "secret" fishing holes in such a forum. But as folks post their fishing reports, you will get some clues as to what's biting where, when and on what.

I would suggest you get one of those Northern California map books that breaks Northern California into mapped grids and start researching possibilities. If you're interested in lakes, there's a pretty good listing at fishsniffer.com, along with maps and articles (it's geared towards conventional fishing but there's still a wealth of information). Also, if you focus on researching a specific piece of water, you can often find a lot of information online through the use of a search engine. Other recommendations include joining a local fly fishing club and becoming a regular patron at Kiene's Fly Shop -- Bill and the staff there are extremely knowledgeable and carry the gear necessary to succeed anywhere. Like Darian said, get involved in fly swaps, as well as fishouts. Become a regular on this and other boards. I know you said you like to fish alone but, in the long run, you will find this to be a limiting factor.

mike N
02-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Read bills article, it pretty mcuh sums it up.

Right now you should hit the american river for steelhead, it is open. Use trout tactics and bigger gear. Sacto has plenty of fishing all year.

Mike

BigBuddha
02-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Not too far from now will be shad fishing in the American and the Feather. It's something a little different than you are probably used to, but it is tons of fun!

Ed Wahl
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Welcom to Ca. Strawberry.I think I've got an idea of what your looking for. Wild places and solitude can be found in the hundreds of canyons to the east of here.Most are well within an hour and a half's drive from Sac. They pretty much all have rainbows and browns, although from what I hear about the Rockies the average size here is considerably smaller.The best of the wild places in these canyons require quite a bit of hiking to get to the water but that really weeds out a lot of people. You should pick up a Delorme map book and some county road maps and just start looking around.The Delorme book covers all of northern ca. and you'll find it to be invaluable for exploring.If you need more help than this you can e-mail me come trout season and I'll show you a couple of spots. Ed