PDA

View Full Version : Only one Steelhead fly ??!?

David Lee
02-16-2005, 11:44 PM
If you only had ONE .... what would it be ??

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-17-2005, 12:50 AM
David,

Pretty cool...............thanks

David Lee
02-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Sheesh , Boss ... Gotta start somewhere !! Nice board ya have , by the way .... D.J.L.

Darian
02-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Hey David,.... I chose the Wooly Bugger on the poll for fishing as I caught more Steelhead/Silvers on a Black/Brown/silver Wooly Worm in coastal estuaries, than any other fly used. 8) 8) Altho, I did use many different flies and some were as simple in design as the Wooly Worm.

For example, there was one fly that was used by many in the creeks below SF (San Gregorio, Pescadaro, Waddell, etc.). This fly was tied on a stout hook, size 8 thru 2, tail was black or flour orange craft fur (longer than the body), body was weighted and tapered with flour orange or black floss, a rib was Flour orange or black floss, hackle was Flour orange or black saddles. Black tying thread. Variations were whatever worked but always versions of the two basic colors..... Deadly fly in tidewater. 8) 8)

Oddly enough, the fly that I've caught more steelhead in the AR is the Howard Norton Special..... Who knows why :roll: :roll:

Rick J
02-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Gotta go with a bunny or marabou leech - I don't think htere is a more effective steelhead fly out there but on my main river I fish for summer fish , the Klamath, it would have to be a bead head moss back

Langenbeck
02-17-2005, 08:53 AM
At least on the Rogue it would be a nymph. Over the last 3+ seasons have caught & released 184 adult steelhead, both summer & winter run, on a single pattern-a bead head nymph.
:lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/BeadHeadNymphTwo.jpg

egabele
02-17-2005, 09:59 AM
I have caught more steelhead with this fly than any other. I don't fish it on the Deschutes but I'm sure it would work there too.

Now on the North Umpqua I would have to consider other options.

# 2 Black Gordon swung.
#4 Purple Muddler waked.

Hairstacker
02-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Fascinating. Over a 150 views on this thread but only 12 votes. . . . :? Fly fishers without an opinion? :shock: Is that possible? :lol:

David Lee
02-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Day in and day out , I would stick with the Black Leech(#6 to #2) . Only because I fish on the swing , and Steelhead CRUSH that fly ..... no waiting for a rise or pause in the drift . D.J.L.

Adam Grace
02-18-2005, 11:49 PM
BLACK,hint hint -David, Leeches are great for steelies.

They get some great strong steelie grabs.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Lots of steelheaders like to tie classic stuff like a drab 'Lady Caroline'.

I like a fly called the 'Governor' which is just a peacock herl body, GP tippet tail, gold tag, brown wing (turkey) and brown hackle.

Al perry man use to tie one called the Chiveeny?

I would probably pick a Silver Hilton too.

The Brindle Bug is a killer on the American in small sizes.

PS: only for swinging

Darian
02-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Chalk one up for Classic Steelhead patterns. 8) 8) I'm with you, Bill. Got a list of 'em too long for this thread. :D :D

Rick J
02-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Bill,
John Barrena hooked several steelhead on the Lady Caroline fishing the Grande Ronde when we were there a couple of years ago. Start tying!!

Best regards,
Rick J

Bruce Slightom
02-21-2005, 10:59 AM
For winter fish I would have to go with a popsicle/tube fly

k.hanley
02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Winter... Alevins and Skunks
Summer... low water Spawning Purple
Fall... Spawining Purple, Brindle Bugs

Guess I couldn't stand for just one pick? Heck I carry about a dozen choices on most days. But... if I was r-e-a-l-l-y pushed to make a commitment to one pattern I guess it would be a Spawning Purple in various sizes. I think???? :D
Cheers, Ken

David Lee
02-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Ken , Spawning Purple's sure are pretty flies .

By the way , Congrats on your hard-earned place in history !! David

k.hanley
02-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Many, many, thanks David.
Cheers, Ken

jmccandless
02-22-2005, 06:31 PM
~60 steelies a season?!! :shock: You lucky dog, you've got my respect, I am totally jealous. Love your pics as well.

I just started fishing for steelhead this season (two hookups followed by :P two LDR's) both on nymphs. Need more on the river experience before I can give a decent answer...

Jason

stevie steelhead
03-01-2005, 02:16 PM
The best fly by seasons for me are:
Summer-bead headed silver hilton
Fall- bead headed Assassin
Winter-dead drifted golden stone, swung-greenbutt skunk