PDA

View Full Version : Steelie trip to Lagoons/Eel

Tracy Chimenti
02-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Went up to Big Lagoon last week and fished for three days. Only caught fish in the estuary. Friend was using crappie jigs. I used black, brown and pink/lime streamers. All steelhead from 12-to 15-inches-- probably never tasted salt water. Did some wading on the lagoon-- nothing. Trolled with streamers-- nothing. Tried verticle jigging, but not long enough-- nothing. Graphed some large fish along the spit and highway. Do they bite? Who knows. Scouted shallows looking for cruisers-- nothing. Would have liked to have spent some time just wading the spit, casting. Saw one guy doing this. No luck for him. Some large fish possible, but I think I'll go back when the spit opens or in March for down-streamers. County camp has one space with hook-ups. The rest primitive, but attractive. Nice place. Host knows lake well. Never fished Stone, but heard it was slow. Plenty of theft going on in the area along the highway. Be careful where you park. Used type-3 head.

Eel was in prime shape-- a little high, but good color. Fished with streamers at Holmes and caught half-pounders. Buddy used roe and did as well. Hated to leave. I know I would have connected with some "teeth" if I could have had a whole :wink: day there. Used type-3 head-- a "four" would have been better. Go now. Fish are in. Might blow-out with this rain.

Tracy :wink: BEATS WORKIN

David Lee
02-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Tracy - about time you showed up here !!

My father used to fish B.L. in the 1950s and took a good number of Steelhead out of there up to 11 lbs.

All on a F7 Flatfish .... I've also heard about Starry Flounder in there , I need to fish it sometime . Sounds like you had fun :D . David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-17-2005, 12:52 AM
A good friend fished it in the '80s in April when they get a little hungry.

I went there once in August....too late.

Darian
02-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Tracy,..... Good report. Brings back some good memories.... :D :D Stone Lagoon is supposed to have been used to re-establish sea run Cutthroat. 8) Have heard of some nice catches from there in recent years. These lagoons fish best (for Cuts/Steelhead) when there is a break in the spit. Of course, Freshwater Lagoon is used for stocked Rainbows. Not much happening but Bait, there. :( Too bad about the theft problem.

Gotta get up there this spring..... 8)

Bruce Slightom
02-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Stone lagoon a few years age was changed to no bait and a slot limit in hopes of helping the cutts and steelhead recover. There is no stocking now and a lot of work went into rehab on McDonnel Creek. I have beter fishing when the level is up and the fish are in the bays, shrimp and stickle backs are abundant in this bodt of water.

Darian
02-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi Bruce,..... Thanks for the updated info on Stone Lagoon. 8) What type of flies are you using in the lagoon :?: Do you have a stickleback pattern :?: If so, would you mind sharing it :?: :?:

I use to fish a Stickleback pattern of my own making in the lower Eel that caught some fish but was never quite right :roll: Always figured that a good Stickleback pattern would work in the Smith River estuary and it's sloughs..... 8) 8)

Bruce Slightom
02-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey Darian, the pattern that I have had luck with is a small bugger #8-10 in silver/gray fished slooooooow on an I line. Also a Clouser and a small gold comet work.

Darian
02-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks Bruce. :D Your silver/grey pattern sounds like it could be a good one :D :D

stevie steelhead
02-28-2005, 09:20 AM
A few weeks ago I went up to Big Lagoon because I heard that it had broken open from the ocean. I parked my car within site of Hwy 101 thinking that it was safe. :cry: A nice flyfishing dude in a kayak saw me fishing on the shore about an hour after I parked and told me that my car was broken into. Some tweaked out people busted out all of my windows and stole every thing in my car: clothes, all of my fly boxes full of flies, reels, etc. The car was not driveable because of all the glass, and it was a fiasco! The sheriff said that there are many break-ins along this stretch, and my insurance company concurred. Word to the wise, don't leave anything in your car, and park in a parking lot that is maybe safer. :idea:

Adam Grace
02-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Too bad Stevie. Sorry to hear about your break in.