PDA

View Full Version : Rain and the River "Y" = BWO Hatch?

oonchie
02-15-2005, 03:00 AM
So..

will the drizzles the next week produce some good BWO hatches? Or is it too late for this kind of thing.. in February..
-O

rrivera
02-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Hey oonchie....

BWO's have been comming off around between 12 and 2 pm, size 16 is the most common I've seen. But remember to bring some skwala stone flies. There have been some march browns comming off as well, but not consistant enough to report a good hatch time window.

oonchie
02-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Well weathered the rains and headed out - it was actually quite a nice day. Moments of sun breaking through, overcast skies..

No hatches of BWO at all. Occasional Skwalla flying around. Absolutely no BWO. I think they are done for the year...

-O

CW
03-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Oonchie -

Was lucky enough to be invited to fish the lower Yuba below Daguerre on a jet boat a few weeks ago - motored up from the Feather. We motored up high, rested the water and then fished our way down. The fishing up on top was absolutely incredible on ultra slow, glassy, slick water about 3 to 4 feet deep. BWOs came off around 12:30 p.m., a pinkish/creamish mayfly around 2:30 p.m., and then caddis around 3:30.
While this BWO hatch came off, the fish went stupid for them. We used a very long leader to 5x (almost 15 feet), and a Stalcup Sprout BWO foam-top, and the fish averaged 16 inches or better the whole day - even a few in the 19"/20" inch range. We went up with spey rods, hoping to get into a few hot steelhead, got small rainbows on the swing, but as soon as the fish came up on top, it was downhill..... Was on the Yuba two days ago, and the fishing was great, I know there are BWOs (can't say that they are coming off at the same time anymore), but as you walk upstream and you have your fly in the water, I have seen fingerlings (less then 3 inches long) just smacking at my fly, they couldn't fit their mouths over the fly ...... this time of year, best when a bit drizzly, cloudy, and/or foggy ......