PDA

View Full Version : "Y" NOT!

MSP
02-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Well a few hours were spent on the Yuba today. Not a whole lot of insect activity on the surface. Did manage this nice fish on a PMD. A couple of refusals on a Skwalla dry. Nice day, a few fish taking insects in the film but I couldn't figure them out. Oh well tomorrow is another day!

BTW: I did see a couple of March Browns, one in the air and another on my waders. Didn't see any floating down the river.

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285DSC00114.JPG

rrivera
02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Great looking bow..!! What size were the PMD's..? If the rain does not blow the day, I'll be there in the am on Wed.

Was there on Fri... One in hand off of a 3 fly rig, took a big black stone. Go figure :? ...

If the Y is as tricky as it has been for dries and nymphs, I'll swing low to get them high :wink: Or at least I hope so. Ya don't know if ya don't go... You hit the nail on the head MSP. Tight lines chief..!!

MSP
02-14-2005, 06:38 PM
The PMD's and the BWO's were about a size 14. There weren't many though where I was. Did here of a nice fish caught on a San Juan Worm. Heard that last week too. I'm too lazy to nymph, have seen quite a few tooners and drifters getting fish on nymphs right in front of me. Most of the surface action has been around 1:00ish. There have been some fish taking Skwallas right along the bank after the mayflies start to dwindle.

Adam Grace
02-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Nice fish Mike.

Those Yuba fish are healthy and have great markings.

Very healthy.

Beautiful Yuba trout.

Mike how did your new line feel?

MSP
02-14-2005, 08:43 PM
I was replacing a 4wt line with the 5wt. The rod I was using is about 20yrs old and was rated for a 4/5wt. I decided to try the 5 wt and see how much of a difference it made. Quite a bit. It loads up with very little line out which isn't a bad thing. I just have to be a bit slower when throwing those 100' cast. :wink: The rod I'm using has a slow/moderate action. I also use this reel on a 4wt fast action rod. Should be fine. Hey I got a fish today so I'd have to say I like it. Wish I could blame only getting the one fish on the line, but! No way it couldn't have been me! Hope we can get out with Jason in a couple weeks.

Adam Grace
02-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Sound good Mike. Glad you liked the line.