PDA

View Full Version : Microtube uses

SullyTM
02-14-2005, 08:49 AM
Does anyone have a good emerger pattern/instructions that uses microtubing? Since this entire week is going to be stormy I picked up some microtubing to keep me busy. Thank you.

Jgoding
02-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey Thom,

What kind of micro-tubing?? Is it the hollow stuff or vinyl rib... or d-rib?? I tied some nice patterns with that stuff.... makes for nice segmented bodies and you can do other things for them.....

Jeff

SullyTM
02-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Good morning Jeff. I have both, but I just purchased the hollow tubing. It's the smallest kind. Any patterns/instructions would be welcomed. Thank you.

JD
02-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Thom,

Have you seen Bob Quigley's latest video/DVD? He has a great emerging blood midge pattern on it what used red microtubing for the body. I would imagine microtubing would be good for any midge larva/pupa pattern but might be particularly useful for emerger patterns like Quigley's hacklestackers or the van Klinken's "Klinkhamer Special" (http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10029.htm).

-JD

Jgoding
02-14-2005, 11:57 AM
The small stuff is great. Medium is pretty big, and must be used with larger hooks or it will tear if you try to wrap it too tightly on smaller hooks.

Actually, the flies for the swap I'm tying have vinyl ribbing for bodies... I think you'll enjoy the pattern when you see it. Klinkhamer's, I tied a few using the stuff, they look really nice.

For a good taper, use tension control and for a smooth body, tie in the stuff at the ending point of the body and cover with thread to the starting point (i.e. where you start wrapping). Pull it tight as you do this to minimize bulk and the stuff will stretch quite a bit. One thing I did notice, one color I got in the size small was already pretty stretched out and noticeably so. Not a big deal, but you might want to watch for this as it will break easier. Anyway, when you start wrapping, keep it stretched to the max and ease up as you go and it should taper nicely. Another thing I do is to pre-stretch the stuff before using it. I cut maybe a 2 inch piece, and just stretch it a little bit to help loosen it up and it will elongate a little bit.

Another thing you can do is color the leading edge and you will get a nicer segmented look or even rib stuff in the gaps. I will try to post some pics of an example if I can. But say, ribbing between the wraps with midge flash or something might make a nice effect.... or if you tie in small hurl and rib with it.... oh yeah, overhand weave with a dark and light color....amazingly cool. Tie in the dark color on the far side, lighter color on the near side.... lighter color always comes over the darker color but of course the darker color loop goes over the hook... One thing I did notice, use white thread as any colors underneath the tubing will change the color appearance of the fly.

Thom, pm your address and I will send you some flies to check out. Or email me...

Jeff

SullyTM
02-14-2005, 12:11 PM
JD & Jgoding...Thanks for the tips. I like working with V-Rib and now, micro-tubing. I've been tying some Featherback Nymphs using V-Rib and they have turned out nice(for me anyways)...I'm thinking the steelies might like them! Tight Lines.

David Lee
02-14-2005, 12:13 PM
If you have the clear , small tubing , try fishing(w/ a bobbin threader) some holo-silver or pearl angel hair thru a 1 inch piece , leaving 1/8 inch hanging out of one end to make Mike Mercier's Sac-Fry - the best looking Alevin I've seen . D.J.L.