PDA

View Full Version : Multi-day group float / fish-out

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I have been looking at this stretch of water from Star Bend on the lower Feather River downstream for ~20 miles to the mouth of the Feather River where it flows into the Sacramento River near Verona.

This stretch has lots of sand bars in the summer and could make a great overnighter for a bunch of us to float in almost anything from pontoons, kayaks, canoes, prams, Jon boats or any thing that is flat bottom and up to 16' long.

In the summer it would be good fishing early and late for Smallmouth bass.

http://www.kiene.com/images/andyboat.jpg

Darian
02-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi Bill,.... Great idea. That stretch of water has a wide variety of depths to it but appears easily navigated. As you've pointed out, should be good for Smallies. 8) If you can get enough interest, count me in..... :D We can even try to catch some catfish and carp :twisted: :twisted:

Hairstacker
02-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Uh oh, there he goes with the catfish again. :lol:

David Lee
02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Fellas , I've been dreaming of that float for several years now . I've heard Jeff P. did it a while back , mabee he could relate the story ?? How long is the float , around 3 days ??
Just the 8 foot pram , a sleeping bag , small ice chest , one Border Collie , two rods , no phone , no computer ..... Let's do it twice !! David

LostInTheFog
02-14-2005, 06:34 PM
You can probably count me in too, Bill... and a buddy, with our drift boat. Boy, it'd be something to find a quality smallmouth fishery that close.

Keep us posted!

Dan

Rob
02-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a blast !!

Rob.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Yes, Jeff Putnam and 3 friends from The Fly Shop in Redding, CA did this float one spring about 3 years ago. They said they saw thousands of small juvenile fish of all types so the food was thick for the game fish.

The flow was shut down to like 1,200cfs just before they left so it took them 3 days and 2 night camping on the river. They were in two drift boats.

I have ben told that the Smallmouth fishing realy gets best in August after the flows are down. I guess they get hungry then too.

You can swim in the river mid-day and fish early and late for bass and what ever else might be in there.

We might get a large 'gang' together for this.

Jeff Putnam
02-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Ah, yes... a float down our local feather river... If I were going I would go sometime from late April to mid - late June, watch those flows, should be around 2200-3000 cfs. Just before our float the water dropped almost 1000 cfs and most of the big stripers we were hoping for (must have gotton word we were on they way, yeah right) moved out of the stretch from Shang-hi to Verona. Schoolies were all over and we did see some fish over 10-15 lbs and a few 20+. Smaller fish kept us busy as we cast streamers to them while they were chasing bait, and boy was there bait everywhere! No wonder why all those stripers are there. The few weeks before (flows were 2800cfs) we heard a lot of fish from 10-30 lbs that were ferociously blasting poppers and causing mild heart attacks to the anglers that were brave enough to hunt them. My kind of fishing! I have heard that July and August can also be great for topwater, especially evenings, might be a bit hot during the day.
During the time we fished, we hit the perfect weather, high 80's and great camping on sandbars under star-filled night skies, can't wait to go back! You can do this float in 2 days or take your time and fish 3. If you want shad along with stripers you might stop to fish longer and need all 3 days. Be prepared for some rowing from the 99 bridge to Verona, slow water. (small motor or a rowing partner is nice). One of the best parts of the trip was fishing at the take out - Verona. We saw a monster striper there, 40 feet away, easily 30 lbs+, push a school of 50 shad or so to the surface and proceeded to beat the crap out of them with its tail and come back through the defeated school like jaws at a hot dog eating contest! How quickly we went from catching shad on every cast to throwing down our rods and launching clousers and the big beast!
Lets set a date, I'm in.

David Lee
02-16-2005, 01:02 AM
Jeff - thanks for the report ... BUT , what about the Smallmouth ??? And the Skeeters ??? And the Redneck Locals ???? And the lack of ice for the Beer over three days ??!!????

Ohhhh , the horrors !! David

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Good question about the smallmouth, David, I was curious about that omission myself. I had forgotten about the cold beer part, that is a problem....

Darian
02-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmmmmm,..... Canoe Trip :D ,.... down a remote section of a river 8) ,.... several guys out to fish and camp, :) ..... beer/BBQ 8) ,..... banjo music :? :?: DELIVERANCE :shock: :shock: AAaaaaghh :!: :!: :!: :twisted: :twisted:

Adam Grace
02-16-2005, 08:49 PM
The Feather River drift sound like tons of fun. I will bring my pram.

All of us can combine and form a huge floatilla that fish will fear.

David Lee
02-16-2005, 09:29 PM
RIGHT !! Let's set a date - any ideas ?? David

Darian
02-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Hello everyone,..... Jeff liked the June timeframe for Stripers. Smallies my be more difficult to catch then (higher water you know) but will potentially be made up for by Shad. Downside, billions of SKEETERS :shock: :shock:

I think Bill suggested fall when the water is lower but no Shad and maybe Stripers. Downside, no cold beer :?: :?: fewer SKEETERS :shock: :shock:

I vote for the fall..... 8) 8)

David Lee
02-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Ain't no way we're gettin' away from the BLOODSUCKERS ....
I say late June - We can lather-up Adam w/ Rancid Bear Grease and keep his brews(he goes in YOUR boat , not mine .... I have a poochie w/ me ....). That will keep the nasty little buggers away .... Shad will be the breaker , Smallmouth , Shad , Stripers , and maybe Catfish will be better at that time of year .
Or maybe I'll run the river the week before , leaving caches of Meat , Beer , Dry ice , and sunblock at three points along the way :idea:

Don't forget Adam and the Rancid Bear Grease - we ALL have to sacrifice sometimes ...... D.J.L.

Darian
02-17-2005, 01:28 PM
David, great Idea :idea: ..... No :!: ..... wait,... :? placing three cache's along the Feather..... :? Hmmm, that probably means that all of the people from DELIVERANCE'll :shock: :shock: be scouring the bank to hunt up the cache's..... Especially, the beer :!: :!: :shock:

David Lee
02-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Never fear - I come from a LONG line of Rednecks , they won't hurt you too much .
The trip is going to be FUN !! By the way , you just broke 200 posts - good job ! David

LostInTheFog
02-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I've had a chance to talk to my friend, and he and I are definitely interested in this float, so please call on us for planning help if needed.

I don't want to appear too gung ho, but why not do two floats... one in May/June for Stripers and Shad, and one in July/August for smallies? Just a thought...

As far as dates go, I'm unfamiliar with this section of the Feather: do we need to go during the week to avoid weekend crowds?

Also, knowing the direction of the prevailing wind in August might not only help us deal with the mosquitos, but also tell us where to put lathered-up Adam and his boat in the flotilla. :D

Keep us posted!

Dan

Hairstacker
02-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Ah, where to put lathered-up Adam and his boat in the flotilla -- good thinking! :lol:

Darian
02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Speaking of "lathered up Adam,...... anyone planning on including beans during this trip :?: :shock: We may need to know that for establishing an order of procession..... 8) :P :P (you know, if you ain't the lead dog, etc. :lol: :lol: )

LostInTheFog
02-17-2005, 05:44 PM
How about a Memorial Day float?

Fri/Sat/Sun - leaves Monday for the families
Sat/Sun/Mon - not using vacation days from work
Mon/Tues/Wed - avoids weekend nitwits on the river

Also, I suggest making the trip BYOB:
Bring your own beans...
Bring your own beer...
Bring your own boat...
Bring your own bear grease...

David Lee
02-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Dan , two trips sounds like a clever idea .

The problem with memorial day/labor day is every nut w/ a boat will be on the water (BESIDES US) . But I'm open to just about ANYTHING !!

For those w/ a small Canoe/Pram , plan things tight . Three days of supplys will eat up a good chunk of your space , I will put up a list soon of manditory items to bring .

Also , in case we can't procure a group supply of Rancid Bear Grease , I'll bring some extra Swisher Sweets ... Handy for Mosquitos , the morning movement , and bartering w/ the natives . There will have to be some scouting for two campsites large enough for all , I'll work on that , too .

David

Gregg
02-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Oh man, this is sounding like too much fun. If it's multiple days, it means that I won't even need to shower, just wake up, float down the river and catch fish. My kind of trip. :lol:

David Lee
02-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Gregg - bathing is POINTLESS while you're smothered in Rancid Bear Grease (you don't want the Mosquitos to GET YA ...... do you ????) .

You WILL have certain responsibiltys ... Fetching drinks for the "old" guys , doing the dishes , reading bedtime storys for everyone , scraping barnacles off the boats , "bush patrol" (chasin' away big nasty things in the dark) , singing and dancing for the assembeled group , gathering firewood , holding Adam's hand when he's frightend , gutting Catfish , taking photos , picking-up dog dooley , basic stuff that WE ALL did at the age of 25 ..... Thank goodness you and Adam are coming with us , I hate being the youngest one in camp .

I have friends coming in from Australia in May .... so the 1st week of June sounds pretty good for the 1st trip down ... How's that for y'all ???

By the way , Gregg .... I'm just playin' - ya don't have to do all that , you can split all of that stuff w/ the next youngest dude !! :twisted: :twisted:
David (who's been there before ....)

Adam Grace
02-18-2005, 09:22 PM
:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Bear grease HUH! Thanks for great responsibility guys.

I just read this series of posts. You guys crack me up. You can use the bear grease as long as I get to keep my beer! :P

The float trip sound like fun. I am game for what ever date you guys choose.

Gregg
02-18-2005, 10:48 PM
How about we do it this way... who ever lands the most fish in the 1st hour is exempt from the duties! :lol: Due to my overinflated ego and supreme youthful confidence, I am sure that I shall not be picking up any "doggie-doodie", nor shall Adam (and just to add to the challenge, I'll bring my 130lb Great Dane, Orion, who leaves quite the mess...). We shall be consuming beer and sleeping a majority of the time, while the "elders" slowly make their way to the water with their walkers! :lol: :lol: :lol: On a serious note, this really sounds fun!

David Lee
02-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for being good sports , fellas ! I'm sure this will be a trip NO ONE forgets !! :D :D :D David (mercyless)Lee

Ed Wahl
07-14-2005, 06:21 AM
This topics been sitting dormant a long time boys, I think it's about time to re-visit.I've picked up a 14 foot canoe a couple months ago and am ready to use it.Let's start talking some dates. I've got last trip with grandson this weekend, thinking north fork at colfax, putting him on a plane next weekend, but free and clear after that. How 'bout you guys?

Adam Grace
07-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh yeah.

Bring out the Bear Grease :!:

Let's do it

David Lee
07-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Mr. Wahl -

I was planning on Tomales for the first week of August , but I will cancel in favor of the Feather float .

The 3rd , 4th , and 5th (Wensday-Friday) .... anyone keen for some adventure ????

Adam - there goes summer-school :P

David

Ed Wahl
07-15-2005, 05:36 AM
gotta work on tue, wed, and thurs, so i'm kind of stuck to weekends and mondays.august is right on top of us now and we need to start planning for this. i can smell the smallies from here, or is that bear grease?

Dug
07-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Since we're on the subject, I'm wondering what laws or guidelines there are about river camping, especially on the other valley rivers south of Sacramento. Are there any restrictions when river camping, especially when travelling through private property - stay within the high water mark, etc?
Thanks for any info.
dug.

David Lee
07-24-2005, 09:53 PM
I'll look into it , or , better yet , I'll have Darian look into it .

Are you keen on the trip , Dug ??

Just about time to set dates and get a list of people interested in going together .... :idea:

David

Dug
07-25-2005, 06:08 PM
David,
I'm definately interested... but having trouble planning anything in advance these days. I would be interested to know the details when they are finalized, however. I think it should be part of every fisherman's balanced "diet" (esp. the steelheaders!) to RELAX, pick a hot day, and go wet wading for a bunch of smallmouth - they're a blast. I've done it a few times in CA (never the Feather), but grew up wet wading rivers in the Northeast during the summer months.

As a side note, I did ending up floating a valley river over the weekend with a "nap" thrown in during the "darker" periods of the day. I couldn't find anything out about the legality of river camping, so I'm still interested in learning what the official word is on this if you hear anything.

thanks,
dug.