PDA

View Full Version : streamers

steve iwasko
02-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi bill, I talked to you a couple of weeks ago in the shop about streamer fishing. The video I was telling you about is called "Streamer Fishing for Trophy Trout with Kelly Galloup" I think I got it form flyfishTV.com If you want to check out the Bull Trout I caught that i was telling you about, you can go to highplainsdrifter.com. By the way we didn't have any luck the next day on the American, but it was fum anyway.
thanks steve

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up on that streamer video Steve.

I took a look at the picture on the High Plans Drifter's web site.

http://highplainsdrifter.com/hpd-images/big-fish-2003-2.jpg

Here is their web address if anyone wants to visit their web site for more information.

http://www.highplainsdrifter.com/

What fly did you use to catch that monster?

Adam Grace
02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Streamer fishing is fun :!:

Not usually the most amount of fish but more quality in size and fight. The grab on a streamers is worth while.

I hope to fish only streamers a couple times this next trout season.

Very Fun :!:

Hairstacker
02-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Adam, I agree! I've had some bass absolutely slam Clousers, especially on the drop. With a woolly bugger, they seem to usually hit it the very moment the fly touches the water, almost like they tracked it in the air. :shock:

Darian
02-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Hello everyone,..... Anyone have an interest in Classic Streamer Patterns (e.g. Carrie Stevens, etc.) :?: :?: I've always felt that there was a lot to learn from those patterns. Not only are they beautifully designed/crafted but they still catch fish 8) 8) . A few years ago, I met Mike Martinek, a tyer of classic streamer patterns from the east coast and was fortunate enough to watch him tie some flies and purchase one of his pattern indexes. From that instruction/material I've learned to appreciate these streamers as much as classic Atlantic Salmon flies. :D

Hooks for these patterns can be 10X long :shock: and only usable in a trolling application. Trying to cast one of these long patterns on a standard rod could be a real problem :shock: ; yet may work quite well on a spey rod 8) . being constructed of feathers, for the most part, these flies are typically used in slow or standing water.

Perhaps the most famous of all of these patterns is the Supervisor. I caught my first Largemouth Bass on a fly by using a Black Ghost, size 6, 6X long :D :D .

Adam Grace
02-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I am now trying to stay away fom long shanked hooks. The leverage involved with a long shank can torque the hook out of a fishes mouth.

The old patterns are beautiful and still productive but the long shank keeps me away from them.

I like the articulated style a little better. Now a couple buddies and myself are starting to tie tube fly streamers so that we can fish them with a short shank style hook. An octpous style hook is pretty common when using tube flies.

I'll keep you guys up to date with our progress.

Hairstacker
02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Darian, I agree, they are pretty flies. I think it would be fun to do a streamer swap one of these days. The cool thing about streamers is that many of them are pretty easy to tie. If you can tie a Mickey Finn, you can tie at least a couple dozen other patterns. :)

Darian
02-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Hello everyone,....... Just completed reading the new book, Tying Classic Freshwater Streamers; an Illustrated Step by Step Guide. Author is David Klausmeyer. 8) 8)

The Patterns include the standard single hook and double hook trolling Streamers designed by Carrie Stevens, Mike Martinek, Jr., Ian Cameron and others. Many of the classic designs are prepared/tied by modern tyers whose art/skills are outstanding. These Streamers are as beautiful as classic Atlantic Salmon flies. :D :D

You won't find any of the type of modern streamers tied by designer/Tyer, Kelly Galloup, in this book but he's not known for tying classic streamers. The interesting part of these patterns, is that they're suitable for framing but are functional as well.

Can't wait to tie up a few 8) 8)