PDA

View Full Version : Pedestal or Clamp?

Hairstacker
02-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Ok, we've covered vises. So, just to keep the discussion going, do you prefer a clamp for securing your vise to the table or a pedestal mount? I started with the clamp until I bought a pedestal on eBay. Cannot think of a reason to go back to the clamp. I spin/stack deerhair as much as anything and have had NO problems with stability. I've also found a pedestal allows me to pick up the vise and examine a fly-in-progress from ALL angles. Finally, there's the portability part, which is nice if you don't have a permanent tying station. Thoughts?

Adam Grace
02-12-2005, 12:23 PM
I use a clamp at my tying desk. I like having my bobbin hang a little lower than a pedestal allows. When the bobbin hangs lower it is more out of the way of my hands.

I do own a pedestal for my vise but I only use it if I demonstrate fly tying at a show or when traveling.

Bob Scheidt
02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
I only have clamp vises. I guess I am real picky about the heigth of the jaws. I think I have more control with a clamp. But you're sure right about the inconvenience of a clamp. I have been at many motel rooms while working-traveling and it never fails. The vise can't be mounted to the desk, I don't even bother taking it anymore when working.

It's gettin close to bluegill time :D
Bob Scheidt

Adam Grace
02-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Bob you can buy a fairly inexpensive pedestal base for those times when you travel.

Much Easier.

Bob Scheidt
02-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks Adam. I didn't know that.
Bob