PDA

View Full Version : That Glimmer of Light Might be Spring

bajafly
02-12-2005, 10:23 AM
For additional information: bajafly@bajafly.com

USA toll-free (800) 919-2252 or 760/746-7260; Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373

East Cape

The wind is out of the east at about 10 knots and cloudy the last few days including scattered rain showers. The surf is large, but not choppy. The water is warming and clearing. Fishing is good for marlin and OK for dorado. Sierra are hard to find. A Buena Vista boat went out on Tues. (2/8) and caught one marlin, two dorado and two tuna. A “tin boat” angler went out yesterday, landed a dorado and hooked a marlin close to shore. Pink and purple seem to be the preferred colors. Shore fishing has been slow, but a few ladyfish were chasing bait yesterday off the beach here. First ladyfish I have seen in awhile.

Report by Baja on the Fly guide Tim Selzer.

Water temperature 70-74
Air temperature 66-69
Humidity 88%
Wind: West 4 mph
Conditions: Light Rain
Visibility 10 miles
Sunrise 6:52 a.m. MST
Sunset 6:13 p.m. MST

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

Wind and rain dominated the area this week. Whale watchers needed slickers to stay dry. No one seemed to mind as there are plenty of whales and even a few with calves already. The trip out to the entrada yielded small yellowtail, barracuda and a few leopard grouper. The trick is getting your fly down deep enough in the water column for the grouper. For the first time this year, Devil’s Curve produced a couple of decent snook – one 16-pounds and the other 12. Weather reports call for improving conditions during the week. Anyone want to get snookered? Up at Lopez Mateos the Whale Festival is in full swing and the town is packed with tourists who couldn’t resist the combination of whales and a party.

Water temperature 69-75
Air temperature 62-69
Humidity 25%
Wind: WNW 15 mph
Conditions: Clear
Visibility 3 miles
Sunrise 7:07 a.m. MST
Sunset 6:14 p.m. MST

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico

The blue water is only a mile off the beach and the sailfish fishing has been very good. Historically, Feb. is one of our very best months. But, the last three years has seen a 150 boat kill tournament at the end of Jan., and unseasonable cool water moving in about the second week, essentially shutting everything down. This year, we were able to eliminate the kill tournament (which is another story), and the current has cooperated.

Client Jim Rainey of Denver fished with Captain Cheva on the Dos Hermanos II earlier in the week, and released eight sailfish on conventional gear. The next day, Cheva went back out to the same spot and released 10. While guiding Tim Martin and Russ Coleman of Houston, with Cheva yesterday (Fri.), we raised one blue marlin and six sails. We were fly-fishing with only two hookless teasers out. Russ hooked two sailfish, and missed one. We backed the missed fish up with live bait, a circle hook, 30-pound gear, and shortly Tim had his first ever sailfish released. With nothing on the boat other than flyrods or 30 pound gear, we did not even try for the marlin.

Captain Santiago, on the panga Gitana, is averaging about five tagged and released sailfish a day, for this last seven days. And, for some interesting competition, his brother Adan, on the new Gitana II, is doing exactly the same.

The blue marlin are finally showing up in decent numbers. The 38-foot cruiser Yellowfin II has raised five marlin in three days and hooked one. The released fish was estimated at about 250-pounds.

(On a special note, I want to thank David Holts, of the NOAA in La Jolla, for sending me another 250 tags for tagging and releasing the billfish. I distribute them to all the captains. Please, when you come down here to Zihuatanejo, bring some of the Billfish Foundation or NOAA tags with you. E-mail me if you need instructions on how to get them.)

I may have to eat a few words I have written in the last couple of weekly fish reports. I thought the roosterfish, in catchable numbers, were out of here, at least for the time being until their appearance again in July. However, Adolpho, on the panga Dos Hermanos, fishing with a client from England, caught 18 jack crevalle and six roosters Thursday (2/10). They got the roosters on poppers and slow-trolled live bait near the antennas location, 26 miles south. Then yesterday, Martin on the panga Isamar, went 15 miles north and hooked four nice roosters on live bait. All the roosters were in the 30- to 40-pound class.

Inshore, several nice sierra to eight pounds have been taken.

Baja on the Fly report by Ed Kunze

Water temperature 80 - 84
Air temperature 77 - 87
Humidity 83%
Wind: West 11 mph
Conditions: Clear
Visibility 10 miles
Sunrise 7:14 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:46 p.m. CST

San Jose, Guatemala

Conditions in Guatemala have been unusual with the fleet putting the teasers out just a few miles from the marina. I only have stats from Thurs. (2/10), where boats on the conventional side released 156 of 217 hooked sails. On the fly-side, 13 of 31 hooked sails were released. There were also some stellar performances with one boat that had a 90% hookup ratio on 40 raised sails. No marlin to report this week, but the dorado made a strong showing. Inshore, there were several roosters released in one afternoon of fishing.

San Jose, Guatemala report by Brian Barragy and Lissa McFarlin

Water temperature 72 - 82
Air temperature 77 - 82
Humidity 94%
Wind: Calm
Conditions: Scattered Clouds
Visibility 6 miles
Sunrise 6:27 a.m. CST
Sunset 6:07 p.m. CST

For additional information: bajafly@bajafly.com
USA toll-free (800) 919-2252 or 760/746-7260; Mexico 011-52-624-14-10373