PDA

View Full Version : Leo Gutterres' twisted tropical salt water leader system

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-11-2005, 10:00 AM
One thing that is new for us in tropical salt water leaders is the 'twisted' leader system that our friend Leo Gutterres of Stockton has been working on for about 5 years now.

One big plus for me is that with the stiff mono core lines that we use for the tropics we have to put a braided mono loops on instead of a needle nail knot. The twisted leader has a loop at the top end with no knots making this a very smooth connection.

The leader also tuns over and has more stretch so it is good for big violent fish on a fly rod.

Much of our staff have been working with Leo on the twisted leader which we use mostly in the warm tropical fishing situations.

http://www.kiene.com/images/sailleocopy.jpg

Darian
02-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Hello everyone,..... I agree with what Bill has said about this leader. After getting a brief demo from Adam, I've been experimenting with constructing butt sections and found this to be a very promising system for tropical/warm climates. Not sure about cold climes, yet.

I've not yet casted a fly on it but anticipate good performance there. These butt sections do provide a lot of cushion/stretch and built in loops result from the construction process as well. 8) 8) 8) Each butt section may be easily made from a single strand of leader from a spool. The length of the strand depends entirely on how long the butt section to be made is. 8) 8) (....Hope I said that right :roll: )

They're definitely usable for big game fish. :D :D