PDA

View Full Version : A Heavy Load of Questions For the South Fork Eel River

Ryan
02-09-2005, 12:07 AM
First of all... this is the second time I have typed this up :x because my computer crapped out on me...

To start this question out, I would like to thank all the people who have responded to all my questions in the past, each time I have posted, I have had great responses. And I use/will use any info which is given to me.

I have been lucky enough to get invited to a guided trip on the Eel this comming weekend. I will ditch school and leave Fri. Fish (w/o guide) on Sat. and be guided on Sun. I have never been guided before, so do you think the guide will supply all the right flies, rods, and line?

In case the guide expects us to have all the stuff before hand, then what stuff should I have. Please if you can, hit me with as much info as possible... Rod, line, tippit, flies, anyting else? Also, I fish with indicators about 99.999% of the time, and have never had luck swinging flies. I know swinging flies for costal steelhead is the way to go, so what type of shooting head should I use. Or do I even use a shooting head? And are indicator tactics effective here?

Here are all the things I have...

-Three eight weights
-All the nymphs I will ever need for any situation
-All the egg patterns I will ever need for any situation
-An eight weight floating line
-An eight weight shooting head type 6
-1x 2x 3x 4x 5x in flouro
-0x in mono
-8 and 4 pound mono leader material

Are tapered leaders the way to go for swinging? (I never use them for nymphing)

And what size leader/tippit can I get away with for swinging your standard streamers... and what size for standard steelhead nymphs.

Other than every varriation of any wholly bugger possible, I have no flies for swinging for steelhead. What flies should I buy/tie before the trip?

I am looking foreward to fishing new water, and learning new tactics... And most of all, hooking into some CHROME STEELIES 8) :!:
I will report back how we did, and any pics I take, I will post. Thanks again for any info in advance.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Ryan,

Most people use an 8 weight rod with a shooting head, type 3 and type 6, with a 7.5' 0x leader.

I would put your 1x FC on the end of it is clear at all.

I would use a #4/6 'Boss' sttelehad fly during "am/pm during low light and/or in slightly green water".

If it is clearing and sunny you can use a #6 Orange Flame or a Gold Comet.

Have dumbbell eyes on those flies so they will get down to the fish.

http://www.worldwaters.com/assets/product_images/large/TRGFL_TRGUS_106076.jpg

This is a Targus "Boss" steelhead fly from the World Waters web site.

http://www.kiene.com/images/eel.jpg

Erik Gabele on SF Eel River last winter

Darian
02-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Ryan,..... Sounds like a good trip. It looks like you might have scheduled it right for the weather (Rain predicted for Sunday). :D If it doesn't start raining Saturday night, the river won't be blown out. 8)

Getting to your other questions, Bill's note conatins some good advice. The piece of advice I can offer is to contact the guide. He/she'll be able to tell you if equipment is provided (maybe for a fee :?: ) and, if not, what to bring with you/how to set it up. If unable to contact the guide, go to Bill's shop or call Eureka Fly Shop for some addt'l info. Make sure to tell them whether you'll be in a drift boat or wading.

Be sure to dress dry/warm..... 8) 8) Wish I was going with you....

Rick J
02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi Ryan,
I posted earlier but it somehow got lost. Your 8 wts should be fine. Nymphs and egg patterns should work well. Your shooting head should also work for swinging but would also recommend a fast sink tip line. Many of the runs are narrow slots and a sink tip works better for swinging/mending than a long shooting head which works well in more wide open runs. A teeny type line might los be a good bet.

As for flies traditional steelhead patterns as Bill suggested such as a Boss. Your buggers in various colors should also work well and I would not be without some bunny leeches in black and purple or maybe bright tails of red, orange or charteuse with the balalnce black or purple. Weight flies with cone heads or chanin eyes.

When swinging tips or heads I do not use tapered leaders. I will tie on a piece of 20 to 25# Maxima with a loop (12" to 18") then loop a tippet using a spider hitch to that. Total length anywhere from 2 to 5 feet depending on water clarity and water speed. I usually use Maxima green tippet in 10 or 12#. Can go lighter for nymphing or maybe better use a non-slip loop for smaller flies and stay with the heavier tippet.

Have fun and hope you hook a chromer!!

Best regards,
Rick J

Cal
02-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Ryan,

I fish the So Fork occasionally and agree with most of what has been suggested already. When you drift with the guide you might want to have 2 of your 8 wts set up: one with a floating line and indicator rig (egg and stonelfy nymph) and the other set up with a shooting head for swinging flies. That way you can fish the indicator set up when drifting the pools and get out of the boat and swing flies in the long riffles that the South Fork is known for. I have had my best luck fishing the long riffles swinging hot butt bunny leeches (black/flame orange butt) or blood red bunnies on a type 3 or 6 shooting head.

Should be a good weekend for fly fishing the Eel, not too much pressure from the roe draggers yet. Called up to Mad River Outfitters and they said that roe drifters were picking up 3-4 fish per boat per day.

Looking forward to your report next week!

Ryan
02-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will have to buy some of the flies mentioned above somewhere. I already have plenty of eggs and stoneflies. Don't think I will be able to make it to Kiene's tomorrow, so I hope there's somewhere I can get some bugs on the way up there. I'm sure there is. I can't wait!!! Thanks again... Bill, that pic of the chromer steelhead and the sweet looking river got me even more excited than I already am.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Send me a picture and I can get it up on my site.

I think we all love pictures.

egabele
02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
I prefer fishing water with more color than most fly fishers. I like about 2-3 feet of visibility max in which I like to swing large, heavily weighted leech patterns. My favorite is a leech pattern from Joe Howell on the N. Umpqua which I used when it used to be legal on that river. Black and purple with heavy dumbell eyes. Forget worrying about tapered leaders with these big flies. 2 feet of 15 lb test with another 2 feet of 12 pound Maxima do fine. Fish areas with submerged boulders and pe prepared to lose some flies.

These flies are very similar to the jigs which are used in BC when fished with a bobber and convential tackle. The locals swear by them.

Rick J
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Egabele - You may have hope on the N Umpqua - I understand they may reopen it to weighted flies after October 1 each year - nice time to be on the river!!

David Lee
02-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Ryan , I hope you have a safe , productive trip ! Can't wait for your report - David