PDA

View Full Version : Patterns on the Yuba

SteelieD
02-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi all. This board has been a great resource for information. I am glad to see it taking off!

I will be fishing the Yuba in a couple weeks on the UCD property with my club, the GB Flycasters. I am looking forward to getting a shot at some of those hard fighting Yuba fish! I have some suggestions on fly patterns and sizes but would like to know what anyone else out there has had success with.

Thanks for the help and I hope to meet some you at the shop during Bill Carnazzo's fly tying demo this Saturday.

Derek

andanb
02-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I have had luck with poxy biot yellow stones 8-10, fox's pupa 16 green, green emerging caddis 16, prince nymphs 16-18, phesant tail nymphs 16-18, micro mayfly nymphs 18, squalla nymphs. You have to play around with sizes and colors to see what is working. I have tried some blue wing olive nymphs and some march brown nymphs but no luck yet.

Rob
02-08-2005, 07:21 PM
We never leave home with out it. :wink:
The olive Zonker size 8.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/DSCN0010.jpg

This is a Photo of Cody fighting A fish he hooked on the Yuba with a Zonker. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/DSCN0007.jpg

Here he is with the fish. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/codysbigfish.jpg

Jason my oldest son with a fish he also hooked on the Yuba with a Zonker. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Dscn0017.jpg

SullyTM
02-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Hi Rob...On a personnal note I just want to say how proud you must be of your sons and their interest in flying fishing. The photos you posted show 2 very happy young men. I am introducing my teenage daughter to fly tying and to fly fishing...It's a tough sell, however, it's worth the effort.
P.S. Do you have any tying instructions on that Zonker? Thank you.

Hairstacker
02-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi Rob! Once again, GREAT pictures. Your sons are obviously doing great, those are some very nice fish! Very inspiring.

Rob
02-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Hey Mike and Thom.

Thanks for the compliments. I am very proud of my boys . I have had so much fun with then over the years . We have gone f.fishing so many times over the last 7 years that they are getting a little bored of flyfishing. So this last year we bought masks and Snorkels . Its a blast to snorkel the areas we fish. We only do it in areas that are safe and we always were a flotation vest. They enjoy feeding fish insects they catch. Your kids will injoy f.fishing as long as they keep catching fish. Make sure they can go places with a lot of small trout or bluegill.

Take care.
Rob.

These are photos of Jason and Cody Snokeling the noth fork of the American.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Dscn1440.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/DSCN1437.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/DSCN1438.jpg

Adam Grace
02-09-2005, 08:36 PM
SteelieD, Bring some of these flies with you.

PMD cripple #16
PMD parachute style dry fly #16
Pheasant tail nymph #16
Maybe even a CDC floating nymph in PMD color #16

Skwalla stonefly adult dry fly #8 or #10
Skwalla stonefly nymphs #8 or #10

BWO adult, Burks Silhoutte Dun #18
BWO nymph like a Micro Mayfly #16 in olive

Like Rob said bring some olive zonkers in #8

If the weather is warm and sunny look for the PMD looking mayflies and the Skwalla stonelfies.

I hoe this helps.

SteelieD
02-09-2005, 09:39 PM
All,
Thanks for the help! Rob your pix are fantastic... and I appreciate your help with suggestions on where to fish with my son.
Adam, I hope to see you in the shop this weekend. I plan to be there to see Bill C. tie some masterpieces. Hopefully you can show me those patterns.
Thanks again to everyone.
Derek

Adam Grace
02-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Steelie, I do not work on the weekends. I would love to stop by and watch Bill tie but I have plans for this weekend. I hope you enjoy the tying demonstration.

Jeff Putnam
02-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Picture of the Yuba at sunset... jp

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/images/sunsetboat_yuba.gif

Here's a picture of a nice Yuba trout.

http://www.jpflyfishing.com/images/yuba_bow.psd.gif

Adam Grace
02-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Jeff, Nice Picture. I can almost see the sunset in your text! :roll:

:lol: HA HA :lol:

I pasted the link onto the address bar, nice shot JERK! :twisted:

David Lee
02-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Now , now boys ..... Don't make me hand you both 5 wts. w/ floaters and stand you 120 feet apart .......

:P :P :twisted: :twisted:
D.J.L.

Adam Grace
02-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Oh, the JERK comment is only a fun jab at Jeff's expense performed at least five times a day when we work together at the shop.

I hate him because of his large amount of fly fishing experiences and his ability to teach and cast a tight sexy loop.

Because of all of that he is a JERK

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

"Spread the work, JEFF IS A JERK" :!:

This message is brought to you by JERK THWARTERS OF AMERICA, the coaliton against master fly fishermen like Jeff Putnam.

My name is Adam Grace, and I approved this message!

Darian
02-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Adam,...... By any chance, do you watch the TV program, "South Park" :?: :?: :P :P

Adam Grace
02-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Darian, I haven't watched SP in a while but that show cracks me up. :)

Do you watch SP? :P

Darian
02-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Adam,..... I watched a lot of it when my son (...who was hooked on it) had it on. 8) I thought maybe it was, in part, the inspriration for your note to Jeff. You know, "Jeff is a JERK!!! :P :P :twisted:

Jeff Putnam
02-23-2005, 12:37 AM
WOW I cant believe its actually catching on... :shock:

Adam Grace
02-23-2005, 01:10 AM
:!: JERK THWARTERS OF AMERICA will never stop :!:

:lol:

Adam Grace
02-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Here's my NEW Skwalla stonefly pattern.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/newskwalladry.jpg

I developed it tonight. I will hopefully give it a try on the Yuba during the upcoming weekend with local guide Mike Bias.

I will let you guys know if it actually catches some trout.

Jasonh
02-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Nice looking bug Adam. I cant wait to get up to the yuba next week when i come home. Let me know what your plans are for the weekend of the 6th and 7th. I ,ight be able to get out for a few hours early or late in the day. If that pattern produces on teh yuba, which i am pretty sure it will, post the recipe. As usual another great looking fly ties by Adam.

Jason

Strawberry
02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
It is good to see the patriarch share such immeasurable expieriences with his family. The universe of fly fishing has so much to offer, it is refreshing to see something other than the balkinization of the family. One cannot get fat unless one eats, it is good to see Rob getting fat on his family.\
Strawberry

Hairstacker
02-23-2005, 11:30 AM
balkanization -- break up into smaller, often hostile units. Whew, had to look that one up. Strawberrry, you speak in strange but curious ways. :D I agree, I'm sure Rob feels life is good. In fact, based on Rob's and David Lee's INSPIRING examples, I am going to go buy an empty photo album with the goal of filling it up with pictures of family and friends with fish. 8) :D

Adam -- Nice fly! I hope you clean up with it! Looking forward to hearing how it goes. . . .

David Lee
02-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Me ..... inspiring ?!? :shock: Maybe I inspire people to get haircuts , not to drink , or not to have kids lest they turn out like myself ..... :twisted:

Having photos of your family and friends doing whatever is the BEST - I hope to have Bill get a photo page on the board w/ all of the people that post here over the year fishing , hanging out at the shop , camping , .... whatever . I sure do like to see y'all having fun !!

One more thing .... Welcome to California , Strawberry ! Hairstacker and I will take ya out this spring hunting 3- inch Sunfish (trust me .... you'll LOVE it !!) .

SullyTM
02-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Well Adam it looks like your Skwalla pattern has peaked some interest. What kind of dubbing9color) did you use? Ribbing? Is that black foam rubber at the rear? Hook size? And you thought you could keep it a secret! Thanks...
P.S. David Lee...temp is 98.6!

Adam Grace
02-24-2005, 01:58 AM
Well Guys, here's the recipt:

Hook: 2312
Egg sack: Black closed dell foam
Body: Whatever color dry fly dubbing you may like, I need to revise my color selection, olive with a dash of light honey Nature's Spirit natural dry fly dubbing.
Wing: Moose body
Legs: Spirit River's Tarantula legs, Brown color

That's about it. Not too complicated.

Have fun out on the Yuba Guys :!:

I thought about adding tails and antenna in the form of more Tarantula legs

I will post a picture of the revised version later on. Have fun tying :!:

David Lee
02-24-2005, 02:02 AM
Howd'ja get Moose to stand still while you harvested the hair ?? I hear he's a pretty big dude .... :roll:

Sorry ..... Nice bug , by the way . David

SullyTM
02-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Adam, Thank you for the recipe. 2312? What size does that convert to? #12? I'm not up on my hook conversion numbers. Did you use a fine wire or thread for the ribbing? OK. That should do it! Yes, I will be tying my first Skawlla's this weekend I'll call them Adam's American River Assassin Skwallas! Tight Lines.

Bishop
02-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Rob --

Great shots of your sons! As stated, they sure are having a good time and you are all building great memories.

Question for you...can you pass along any locations for taking kids fishing? My son and I spent a long weeekend at the Silver Fork of the American and had a great time. Also, have been to the Yuba and of course the American. But, as you mentioned, easy catches are the key to kids having fun and I would like to add to our places to fish. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated...thanks!

Bishop

Rob
02-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey Bishop.

You can E- mail me and I can tell you some places I have taken my boys .
Take care,
Rob

Rob
02-24-2005, 06:39 PM
Hey Adam.

Here is Cody's first attempt at tying the Adam Skwalla !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20Tying/Codytying.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/Fly%20Tying/Cody1stAdamsSkwalla.jpg

Thanks for the Tying instructions.

Rob

David Lee
02-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Hi Rob . Not only are your adventures w/ the boys great reading , but your photos are some of the nicest I've seen - please keep them coming . David
PS - Cody's tye is very cool .... I can almost FEEL the critter crawlin' on my neck !

Rob
02-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks David for the kind words.

Rob.

SullyTM
02-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Rob...Your son has game! Did he add something yellow to the hook curve before tying in the black foam? What size hook did he use? I'm jeolous...no readers or magnifying light! Ahhh youth! Cody might be a Fly Swapper candidate? Tight lines.

Rob
02-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey Sully.

He tied yellow foam then used a black felt pen to make the egg sack black. He missed a spot on the tail.
He used a Size 8 tmc 2302 hook.
He just finished his 3rd one.

Rob.

SullyTM
02-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Rob...He missed a spot? Maybe Cody does need readers?! Just kidding. Actually, I like the little bit of yellow. I don't have the correct hook so I'm using what I have...I'm going to tie one like Cody and Adams and then I'll tie in antennae, probably using porcupine quills. #rd one already? Just 9 more to go and he's ready to host a swap! Thanks for the info. Thom

Rob
02-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Jeff Putam was saying that it might be a good idea to also tie a tail .
I just tied one and it was a total flop. :cry:

Rob.

Hairstacker
02-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Rob, Cody's tie is very nice! I agree with Thom, I think he's ready to start hosting swaps! :D

Adam Grace
02-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Rob, Cody's skwalla tie is clean. Good Job Cody! Very nice.

Sully, the 2312 is a Tiemco model number, nothing else. The size is sepreate from the model number. I am tying my skwalla patterns on a size #8 Tiemco model 2312 hook.

The dubbing is a fine natural dry fly dubbing from Nature's Spirit. I tie this skwalla pattern in a "light honey" and a "blue winged olive" color.

I modified my orignal pattern from a coupple nights ago. I have added some some tails and antenna, made out of the same barred rubber as the original legs. Jeff Putnam gave me the ideas for the tails and antenna, he ties some very nice flies of his own.

Here's a picture of the newest revision. This patterns is tied with the "BWO" color.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/rubberskwalla2.jpg

I hope to get a chance to catch fish on this fly this weekend while I go fishing on the Yuba with local guide Mike Bias.

I will report about our trip after I get back.

Happy tying!

SullyTM
02-25-2005, 07:42 AM
Adam...I found a Tiemco hook conversion sheet in my fly tying mess so I'm hip to code numbers now...Thanks. Nice revision. You and Cody have done a good job. I tied 2 last night. Not the best, but they'll do the job tomorrow. Thanks again for sharing the info. Thom

PatrickM
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Rob, I'm a Yuba rookie and was just wondering how you fish that zonker. Floating line or sink tip? Swinging or stripping? Any info greatly appreciated.

SteelieD
02-25-2005, 02:01 PM
pm - check with Adam Grace at the shop... he's got a cool set up with a floating line and sinking leader that he suggests swinging. I'm going to give a try on Sunday.

Derek

PatrickM
02-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks, SteelieD. I'll talk to Adam next time I'm in there. Good luck on Sunday. Let us know how you do.

Rob
02-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Hey PM.

We use a Poly -leader loop to loop to a floating line.
We swing and strip it. Some times just swinging it works. If not then we will strip it or twitch the rod tip as it swings.
I carry two poly-leaders one for 5wt and one for a 8 wt.
The 8 wt poly-leader will get you down deeper in faster water.
A Marabou leech and a woolhead sculpin in olive also work.

Take care
Rob

PatrickM
02-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks, Rob. I'm heading to the Y on Monday, so I'll give that a shot. I'm going to tie up a couple of Adam's creations too, so I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Adam Grace
02-25-2005, 08:46 PM
PM,

I reccomend the 10' extra super fast sinking leader from Airflo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/sinkleader.jpg

The leader has a monofilament core covered in a high density tungsten coating. The monofilament core has a 12lb breaking strength and has a pre-tied loop at the end. You can loop to loop a 3-6' section of 3x or 2x tippet to the end of the sinking leader.

It is much easier to cast and turn over when your regular floating line has a factory welded loop or custom braided loop attached to the end.
Check out the picture below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/sinktipends.jpg

This style of sinking leader can turn an ordinary floating line into a sink tip in the amount of time it takes to change a leader.

Great setup for streamer fishing.

Give it a try.

Hairstacker
02-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Wow, Rob and Adam, I didn't even know these Polyleader things existed, thanks!!! 8) Seems like these things would work really well for stripping nymphs and what-not in lakes too. Is there still any reason to get a sink-tip fly line if you have these? Seems like it would work just as well as a Type II full sinking line for fishing the shallows in the spring?

Rob
02-25-2005, 09:48 PM
I think the sink tips cast better but it sure is easy to change back and forth with the Poly-leader.
P.S.
I'm getting a Kayak Saturday A.M.
Rob :D :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rgkempton/2005_featherang_12.jpg .

PatrickM
02-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Adam, never heard of those leaders before, but they look pretty cool. Definately have to try one of those out.
Thanks for the scoop.

SteelieD
02-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey Rob,

That Kayak look awesome! I've always wanted one. Did you get it wet yet?

Derek

Rob
02-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Hey Derek.
I hope to use it next week.

I'll take it out to lake Natoma 4-5 times before I take it on any rivers.

Take care
Rob