PDA

View Full Version : Wading Boots

SullyTM
02-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Good morning...I'm researching wading boots and would like some imput. I'm risking my well-being using what I have now(don't ask) and since I'll be fly fishing in more and more new bodies of water I figure it's time to get a pair of good boots. Is there a happy medium on boots since there is a high-end and low-end...Thanks for the imput.

David Lee
02-08-2005, 10:42 AM
I LOVE cheap gear (rods , reels , etc ....) but your boots could save your life (my old cleated Danners did just that TWICE !!) . I'm using the new Chotas w/ the screws in the felt soles - feel pretty safe in them . David

darmocido
02-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Sully, The kind of fishing you do will dictate the type of shoe your should buy. Do you do a lot of hiking down into canyon's, Is there a lot of shale in along the streams you fish, The bottom of the stream, is it rocky or heavily covered with algae growth. Then you have personal considerations, the ankle support, width available, and soles. Some shoe's come with a variety of soles: felt, felt-studded, aqua stealth, aqua stealth-studded. Some manufacturer's offer inserts including all four types. Only you can answer these questions then the people at the fly shop can help you make the choice. Remember your feet need to be well taken care of. If you use a drift boat or hire a guide with one, no studs! David A.

SteelieD
02-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey Thom, I learned long ago that even if the rest of your gear is less than perfect, you can still have a good time as long as your feet are comfortable! This goes for all activities, not just fishing.

Check these out...

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?dir%5Fid=758&group%5Fid=777&cat%5Fid=5421&subcat%5Fid=6047&pf%5Fid=10CP&outfit=

Nice thing about them is you can change from felt to spiked felt to rubber and keep wearing the same boots (and not buy others!). They are also sturdy and comfortable enough to hike in. I bought some back up soles for mine. That way I should be covered for a couple of years. I am sure Bill can get these for you.

Good luck.

Derek

SullyTM
02-08-2005, 04:37 PM
So I guess my Birkenstocks won't cut it? Thanks everyone for the information. Since most of my wading has been in benign waters I haven't been motivated to buy a true wading boot. However, after my first trip last month to the American it isn't worth the risk...I appreciate the guidance.

Adam Grace
02-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Sully, there are many nice boots out there. David made a great point about what type of stream bottom you will be wading on.

Look at boots with studs if you plan on fishing the American River more. There are tons of clay bottom areas in the American River. Studs will grip much better than plain felt soles.

The best advice I can offer is try on a couple different boots that are within your price range that offer the features you prefer.

Hairstacker
02-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Yep, I have to second Adam's advice to go and try them on -- make sure you do so while wearing waders. You probably know this but I'll mention it anyway -- the neoprene feet on a pair of waders can really mess with shoe sizes. I normally wear a size 8.5 - 9; my current wading boots are size 11 and fit just right.

Adam Grace
02-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Hairstacker has a great point that I forgot to mention. Bring your most used socks and your waders when you try on new boots. You can make sure the fit will be great when you are wearing your normal fishing clothes.

SullyTM
02-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Adam etal...Well, I guess shoe(boot) shopping is in my future. No guarantees but I hope to have true wading boots by next week...Shopping for clothes isn't my style. Thanks to all who have tried to dress me. THom