PDA

View Full Version : Tying Vises

Adam Grace
02-07-2005, 11:13 PM
I started out fly tying with an antique Thompson steel molded vise. Then I moved up to a newer Thompson model "A" vise ($50). After a a couple of years of fly tying I spent some big bucks and purchased a Regal rotary vise ($130). I tied on that sucker for quite a while. I think the Regal rotary vise is great but after I used Jeff Putnam's Dyna King Barracuda I had to have one. The Barracuda ($330) is a great vise. I love the "true" rotary function and the knobs and adjustments are easy to use.

Here's a picture of my vise.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/myvise.jpg

I have also found another great fly tying aid. A daylight lamp($80). This light is just like an ott-light ($130), they both emit a day light spectrum of lighting. The artificial daylight light up materials and my tying desk very well. The light is bright but not too bright, the bulb barely gets warm. A halogen bulb gets very hot and is usually a little too bright.

Check out the area lighted up on my desk from my daylight lamp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/mytyingtable4.jpg

Do you have a favorite light or any other type of fly tying aid?

What vises do you guys like and tie on?

Jgoding
02-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey Adam,

I thought about getting that exact lamp but decided to wait a little bit for some reason.

That barracuda is a nice vise. You have to love Dyna Kings jaw set up, one of the better designs IMOP. I thought about getting one but went with the Nor-vise instead with the micro jaws. I like it, it's fairly compact etc... and can spin like a mother which comes in pretty handy doing certain things and the 90 degree stops are a nice feature too. It's a little tricky to get used to though, but I also like the non-attached thread post and stuff as well....

Oh, my favorite gadget....the automatic bobbin!! It's such a spoiler....If anyone wants details etc... pm me as I don't really feel right pimpin stuff out on the forum....

SullyTM
02-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi Adam...Clean up that tying table! Actually, it shows a committed tier.
I use the kitchen table...after the dishes have been cleared! A friend of mine at ESPN gifted me an AK Best vise about a year ago and I've been tying ever since. For additional light I use a circular magnifying light on a rectractable arm. With my declining close-up eyesight I can use all the help I get get.

Darian
02-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey Sully,.... I hear you.... use the same type magnifier/light you describe. 8) 8)

Digger
02-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I use a Renzetti, mainly because it was a decent vise for the $$$
I recently tried using the GE Reveal light bulbs in a directed lamp that does a pretty good job. I'm all about the budget.

I don't mean to go off in another direction, but what about tying stations/desks etc. Any good recommendations for a minimalist?

Darian
02-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Digger, Digger, Digger,..... You're obviously going in the wrong direction. Minimalist, indeed :P :P

Most of the fly tyers I know are like me,..... SINGLE,..... as a result of fly tying at home; taking over pieces of furniture and whole rooms....
:twisted: OK, a little too much time "hanging" with fish, also.... 8)

Actually, I'm not sure what a minimalist (in fly tying) is..... Sorry, not much help here.

David Lee
02-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I am using a Griffin Patriot Cam vise ($142.00 + tax) . I like it , but the jaw settings have to be changed when you change hook sizes (no big deal ...) . I used to have the bottom of the line Thompson , the black one .... Never any problems with it after THOUSANDS of flies .
The only advice I will offer (other than not spending $300.00 on a friggin' vise !!!!) is to keep your tying stuff set up AT ALL TIMES - try to get into the habit of tying one fly every morning before work , or before ya go to bed . It makes tying a lot more pleasant in the long run and it's a nice way to start the day (or end it) .
I want to add .... Before I even had a vise , I would tye glo-bugs (down to size #10) by hand , without a vise(Go ahead ... TRY to flare the yarn that way ...) . If you don't have the best gear , use what ya got ! David

Darian
02-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Hello everyone,..... Guess I'm like most tyer's.... Started on a Ned Gray fly tying Kit my Dad gave me (approx. 1953). :D The vice wouldn't hold many hooks after the flies I tied from the kit were done but I didn't care. My Dad gave it to me..... 8)

Didn't tie enough to buy a new vice until 1968 when I moved to the Bay Area and needed to tie Steelhead flies..... Bought a Crest vice that served very well until the cam lever/jaws wore out. Bought a Thompson, model "A" vice; then a THompson adjustable/rotary vice with a pedastal base. Didn't feel that was a very good vice (serviceable only for small/medium hooks) for large hooks. The jaws were too smooth.

My latest vice is a Regal/pedastal base, rotary vice. Relatively low purchase price; good versatility. I'm very satisfied with this vice.....

Over the course of time, I've tied, as David has, holding the works in my hand; using a vice grip and a Croydon hand held vice (not mine).

David Lee
02-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Darian , I mean NO vise , Visegrips , or other stuff .... Hook held between fingers (it's worse than most think !) .
You've been tying since 1953 ??! Over 50 years puts some perspective on things , don't it ?? It's hard for 10 year tyers (like myself ...) to picture life without Flashabou , Krystalflash , Foam , fake hair , good nylon and polyester thread , lead eyes , 150 colors of man-made dubbing ,Silicone , epoxy , tape eyes , etc ......
Most of the bugs a person can come up with using fur , feathers , and steel still work pretty good . David

Terry Thomas
02-09-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm just a tying junkie. Started many years ago with a Thompson A and went to the HMH. Bought a Regal for traveling and am currently using a Dyna-King. Really like the Dyna-King.
Terry

Jay Murakoshi
02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
I would probably say, I've had just about every vise on the market since my early days except for the new models. I started with a pair of vise grips welded to a post, I've tied flies by holding the hook with the fingers, just like Lee Wulff. Had the Thompson's, Regal, Sunrise and finally went through almost all the dyna-king models, had one of the first rotary models they came out with. Finally, I'vd had the Barracuda for the past gawd knows how many years. I've had it overhauled 3 times already.
But then again, I tie at least 1800 to 2000 dozen flies a year. Enough to make some heads spin. But I love it

So all in all my vote is for the dyan-king barracuda

Jay

Adam Grace
02-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Right on Jay! Barracuda Power :D

For a nice mid priced $150 vise the regal Rotary is great. My buddy Gregg was lucky enough to recieve the Regal rotary vise for Christmas. He really likes his vise. Hopefull he can post a reply and tell us himself.

Thanks for all the posts guys.

You make this board fun and interesting.

Bob Scheidt
02-09-2005, 09:23 PM
I like my Regal. It's an older one and has the crown burnt into the wood that holds the jaws. Rainey Riding said to call her if I ever want to get rid of it. She said it is pretty rare. I really like it.
Also have an HMH, Danvise, and a Dynaking Traveler.

Bob Scheidt

Jay Murakoshi
02-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey Bob,

Is your Regal one of the first to hit the market? I was given one of the first protype where the head portion was made of wood and the jaws had so much tension that it use to crush the old mustad hooks. This was before any other fly hook was on the market.
I sure there are alot of us out there that could start a fly tyers antique museum.

Hey Bill, want to lease another section of the building for a museum :-)

Jay

Bob Scheidt
02-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Hi Jay:
I don't think my regal vise is one of those that could damage a hook. The one I have has the crown burnt into the wood and a slit that you actually slide the hook point in. I clean it and put a little oil on things now and then. Most of all, I gotta stay lucky and hope it never breaks.

Bob Scheidt

Gregg Machel
02-11-2005, 12:51 AM
I started tying last year with a Sunrise Vise (India) that I bought off of eBay for about $12.00. Don't laugh too hard now. :)

I recently picked up the Regal vise (C-Clamp version) after going through Jeff's tying class and I can't believe the difference!

I will admit after reading through this thread that I have a long way to go to catch up with all of you, but so far I'm loving every minute of it!

Hairstacker
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM
gcmachel, laugh you say? Not from me... I'm STILL using the Mastax vise (India) that I got off of eBay for $12.50, ha. I think I might replace it someday but I've used it on hooks from 2 down to 22 with no problems and it does have rotary capability (although not "true" rotary). It also came with (3) sets of jaws.

DonCooksey
02-14-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm using a new Peak rotary vice now that I got for Christmas, thanks to my lovely, and surprisingly understanding, wife! The photo below does not show the new vice, but I wanted to show off my fly-tying bench that I put together by refinishing an old oak table and very old microscope slide cabinet that holds many of my materials. The desk is covered by a plexiglass cover that I had cut to size, which makes a nice surface to work on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/P8140005.jpg

Adam Grace
02-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Very nice. Thats fly tying luxury. Good digs.

Moose
02-14-2005, 10:23 PM
I have an A.K.'s vise designed by AK Best. These were produced with so much fanfare and money spent on huge advertising campaigns that the company went bust and, I believe, the vise is now made by Mckenzie out of Oregon. Too bad, if they'd just marketed them in a more financially cautious manner they'd probably still be around today. Really a great vise, I've had it for about 8 years now and it works very well.

I will likely be looking for a good tube vise in the near future.

Hairstacker
02-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Very nice setup Don! Looks like you have room for a computer monitor in the right corner so you can tie flies you find online. A little book stand on the left, a few framed flies and pictures of fish caught, perhaps a couple rods on the wall on pegs, maybe your favorite fishing hat hanging off a peg... looks like fly tying heaven. :)

Jay Murakoshi
02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Moose,

It wasn't the advertising that put AK out of business. That might be the stories you hear but we've talked to him extensively regarding the failure
I really don't want to get into the depths of the subject. I know it still makes AK feel bad. His wife tried to make him forget about it when it first happened.

I still have the vise and super hair stackers that he made.

Jay

DonCooksey
02-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Mike:

You must have been looking in through my window! I do have two fishing hats hanging from pegs on the opposite wall in the room, framed fishing pictures on another wall, and I frequently use my notebook computer in the open spot on my tying bench. I'm also planning some day to hang up my grandfather's old split-bamboo rod that I inherited. It is a Paul Young rod from Michigan, built in the 1940s. Unfortunately, I don't have an old reel to put on.

Adam Grace
02-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Mike, are you a fly tying voyeur? :lol:

Don, again, nice room :!:

Hairstacker
02-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Don, that is too funny! When I saw your setup, I started fantasizing about what I would do with it if it was mine, ha. As it is, my fly tying is relegated to the kitchen table. :cry: Maybe someday....

Adam, that is sick! Sick I tell you! Uh, you know any other fine benches? :lol:

Adam Grace
02-15-2005, 10:57 PM
I have seen one in the Redding Fly Shop's catalog. That is a nice catalog. Anyway, they sell a nice special tying desk. You do pay for it though. It is nice but fairly expensive.

For a low budget tying desk I would suggest a card table. Buy one of the Oasis pedestal bases, wooden platform with holes for tools, pegs for threads and cupped sections in the wood for hooks and beads.

Get organized and keep the small tying desk/card table in the corner of the a room.

Get some type of cool tying light. Maybe like the light in the picture below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Fly%20Shop/mytyingtable4.jpg

Buy a hook book like the one below. The bottom of the compartments are scooped for easy hook removal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Fly%20Shop/hookbox.jpg

Maybe even buy a cool new box for your beads and cones, like the
picture below. The individual boxes are like smaller tic tac boxes. The lids come off to make dumping in beads easy and the little flip up spout dispenses beads in a controlled manner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/Fly%20Shop/beadbox.jpg

P.S. I use the items I took a picture of and I love them.

Hairstacker
02-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Adam, that wouldn't be lime floss on your fly tying bench in the photo, would it? If so, curious what you tie with it....

Darian
02-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Hello everyone,...... After reading all of the posts on this, I realize why I'm still single :P :P (one of several reasons why; many beyond my control :P :P ). I have absolutely no problem taking up a large portion of my living room with fly tying furniture, storage and tools, not to mention work space... 8)

Not sure whether Adam is single, but if he is, he may be able to appreciate it, already..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Darian

David Lee
02-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Adam -your desk is WAY too clean .....Drink more Beer .

Mike -why don't you use some of that Lime Floss (like , tye those Trudes and send them up here) ????

Darian - Leave poor ol' Adam alone ... There's still hope for him without you (or I ...) adopting him ( :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) .

D.J.L.

Adam Grace
02-16-2005, 01:13 AM
:lol: HAHAHA :lol:

Yes, I am single. I'm only 25. Not looking for a ball or a chain just yet. I like to be able to keep a messy desk and not be nagged 8) AND I didn't have to spend any mony on flowers and chocolate on Valentines Day.

More money for tying materials and beer. :P

The "limefloss" is flat waxed chartreuse tying thread for striper flies. But we do carry a fluorescent green floss at our shop that should do the trick for you.

You guys crack me up.

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Adam, oh yeah, you're single now, but that could be over in a HEARTBEAT and you'll never see it coming, ha. Words of widom -- get all your toys before that fateful day. :shock:

Flat waxed chartreuse tying thread? I suspected as such, a very popular choice for striper flies. I only know of one fly shop within an 80 mile radius that carries lime floss, thought maybe you had acquired some for a special tie.

Jay Murakoshi
02-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I use the Chartreuse Flat Wax Nylon by the boxes not by the spools. I tie all my flies with the Chartreuse and the Hot Orange. And the other thread I'm using is Nymo.

Great threads

Jay

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Well, here is a picture of my very sophisticated fly tying digs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/TyingStation.jpg

And at my feet next to me as I tie, my fly tying technical advisor:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/techadvisor.jpg

David Lee
02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Looks like a lifetime supply of dubbing there on the hoof (paw??) .
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
My cats PRAY I never run out of Hare's masks !!! David

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Here's a fly holder a friend made for me that I have found very handy. Basically particle board with holes drilled in it to accomodate these electrical test clips you can buy at Radio Shack. When you're done tying a fly, you just clip it and stick it in one of the holes while the head cement dries, etc. Underneath, it has little squares of rubber glued at each corner to keep it from marring any surface. I like it a lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/flyholder2.jpg

MSP
02-16-2005, 09:50 PM
This is the place my family's begin!

http://www.flyfishnorcal.org/php-nuke/photopost45/data/500/285DSC00122.JPG

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 09:56 PM
Mike, Very nice! I especially like your wooden box. 8)

Adam Grace
02-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Nice setup Mike. Did you clean it up for the picture? :lol:

MSP
02-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey Adam,

No, it's not always this clean. I'm trying to sell my house. :D Cleanup a must after each session, NOT! I was bored this morning waiting for the repairman to leave so I could hit the "A".

BTW, the wife got me the box for Xmas last year. I think she got it at COSCO at a fairly reasonable price. I haven't seen any there since. I think Cabelas has something similar for about $60.00.

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Mike, I looked at the one at Cabelas. Hope I'm not offending anyone but I don't believe it's nearly as nice as yours. Xmas, eh? Lucky dog! :D

David Lee
02-16-2005, 10:18 PM
I've NO IDEA how you guys can tye under those conditions ....
http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/0589813-R1-007-2.jpg

This is where I do my work - everything layed out all nice and handy , just waitin' for me to fish-thru and whip up a MASTERPIECE !!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
David

Adam Grace
02-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Well Mike, you already tied your swap flies so it's okay to have a clean desk. Mine is still messy.

Bye the way I'm going to go make it a little more messy and tie up some more march brown nymphs for the swap.

Talk to you guys later.

MSP
02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Hairstacker,

I agree, but it's the only other one I've come across that looks similar. The one I have comes with a lock and a handle on the lid so I can take it on road trips. You have to have a lock on these things up in case a buddy is trying to see whats inside. It is a nice size, I can get all the materials I normally use in it. The oddball stuff has to go in tupperware in the garage or under the table. Now if only my flys looked as good as the box!

MSP
02-16-2005, 10:30 PM
David, that looks great. Everything you need at your fingertips. I need to get a larger table :lol:

David Lee
02-16-2005, 10:34 PM
MSP - if your flies looked any better , I'd have a SHRINE w/ your picture on it in my closet .

Like I said , the Swappers have out-done themselves ! David

Jay Murakoshi
02-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I would take a picture of my desk. but it's worse than the one posted earlier. But I know where every thing's at.
Just come to San Rafael and you will see a sample of my tying desk. Just give me 5 minutes

Jay

MSP
02-16-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks David, you're too kind. I'm looking forward to seeing all the results. This swap thing is kinda fun! Wish I could make your BBQ. It is on the 11th isn't it?

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 10:49 PM
David, your table looks a little different than when I visited -- you must be running low on materials, better get to the shop and stock up. :lol: :lol:

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 11:09 PM
David, speaking of dubbing, we do own 3 rabbits, a chinchilla, a guinea pig, and two rats. I brought up the idea but . . . my wife won't let me go near ANY of 'em. (Yeah, like they're going to miss just a little itty bitty bit of fur....) :lol:

David Lee
02-16-2005, 11:25 PM
You know , Mike ... that little bit of fine hair on the back of your Missus neck ?

When she goes to sleep , poke at her back .... She'll turn away from you , thus setting up a PERFECT chance to collect a rare and usefull material . Works especially good in a dubbing loop .

After she throws ya out , you can come and live with us ! By the way , do the kids tye yet ??
:roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :P

Sorry , I've been into the "special" fly tying fluid :!:
David

Darian
02-16-2005, 11:30 PM
David,..... Don't let 'em get to ya. You know what they say about a clean desk :?: :?: "A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind" :P :P :twisted: :twisted:

Hairstacker
02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
David, "rare and useful material"? Yeah right, next thing I know she'll be using my fly rods to stake her tomatoes. I don't think so. . . . By the way, your technique is very specific -- I have a feeling you've done this before. :lol:

Yep, both the boys have their own vises, tools and materials. Caught bluegills last summer on flies they tied themselves. 8) 8) 8)

David Lee
02-16-2005, 11:50 PM
All the better to stake her Tomatos rather than your Liver (or WORSE) .

Sorry , Bud ... I had to do it (it's :twisted: DARIAN'S :twisted: FAULT !!!!!)

Hehehehehehehe - David

Hairstacker
02-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Yep, I thought it was Darian's fault. :lol:

David Lee
02-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Came down to Darian or Adam .... I knew you wouldn't believe one of them .
"Rare and usefull" .... I thought that was a nice touch .
Next subject ?? :P David

Hairstacker
02-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Well, speaking of materials, I was rummaging around in the dollar bin at Wal Mart today and found some size 4 hooks with a very unusual bend -- a little ways behind the eye, the hook bends to the right, then bends back so the rest of the shank is straight. The net effect is that the eye is offset to the left. I bought the only 2 packages of 10 I could find for a buck each. I'm going to tie some Tap's Bugs on them so that the eye of the hook ends up in the left corner of the bug's face. I'm hoping when I fish them, that a good pop will send the bug sideways with the tail flying through the air. I noticed last fall, I invariably got a strike whenever my leader was fouled on the hook and the bug popped sideways, practically turning over. Something about the erratic action must really serve as a trigger -- I REALLY hope this works! 8) 8) 8) When I get done with these swap flies :roll:, I'll try to tie one and post a picture. :D

Darian
02-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Hi Mike,..... It really wasn't me :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyway, those hooks sound interesting. I think they may've been something used to produce commercial, foam bodied poppers at one time. At least that's what remained after I destroyed 'em (If I understand your descritpion correctly :?: ) :twisted: :twisted: Or should I say the fish destroyed 'em :?: :?: :lol:

Ya know, you might be able to accomplish the same thing by tying your leader to the fly using a knot used by Steelhead/Salmon fly fisherman to cause a fly to skate on the surface. (I forget the name of this type of presentation :? :? Guess I'll have to get out my old Atlantic Salmon Books :roll: ) This is for the bugs you've already tied. 8) 8)

David Lee
02-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Riffle Hitch . D.J.L.

Hairstacker
02-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Thanks Darian! A little while ago, I finished another one and was looking it over when I noticed a dubbing hair sticking out at an odd angle. Went to clip it off with the scissors and accidentally cut one of the fly's legs clean off. Doh. I HATE when I do that. :oops:

Adam Grace
02-17-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm finished :!:

Here is a picture of my contribution to the swap. March brown nymphs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/marchbrownswap.jpg

Here's a close up, too hard to get everything in focus but you get the idea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/flies/marchbrownswap2.jpg

David please PM with your address. I don't feel like rumaging through the 4 pages of posts.

It's late, I'm tired and lazy.

David Lee
02-17-2005, 02:06 AM
You're tired ?!? Just you wait 'till you're covered in Rancid Bear Grease and missin' 2 quarts of blood .....

By the way - that bug is SOOOO scruffy , I'll bet you tye a KILLER Birdnest !!! I love it ! D.J.L.

Jgoding
02-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Hey David,

I didn't see the primary material that is a must on your desk? Where were the beer bottles man?? And I mean empty beer bottles.....

Jeff

MSP
02-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Adam those are beauties! How are you going to get me one before I leave for the "Y" today? Actually, I think a dozen might do! :D

Hairstacker
02-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Adam, very nice flies! Definitely very buggy looking.... :D

Darian -- here's two pictures of the offset hooks I was talking about. The first picture shows the offset. The second picture, taken of the side of the hook, shows the bend is perfectly horizontal. I sure hope I'm onto something here -- a Brain-Crippled Tap's Bug, ha. Do wish the wire was heavier, though, it's kind of fine for bass bugging....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/offsethook1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/offsethook2.jpg

David Lee
02-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi Mike - that would be a Tru-Turn hook , french in origin , and a pretty good hook for plastic worms despite its birthplace .

I used them for years before switching to fly gear . Make sure to hone those points , they are as dull as marbles out of the box . David

Darian
02-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Hello everyone,.....

Adam,..... great looking flies. :D I gotta get a digital cam. :!:

Mike,.... that hook is not the one I recall but will present an interesting problem for trimming the deer hair. :lol:

David,.... Please PM me with your mailing address. I put my E-mail note away in a place where I'm assured of never finding it again.... :oops: (it's HELL to get old :P ). Thanks

k.hanley
02-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Moose and b-community members,
Sorry I got to this forum a bit late. Anyway, just a quick note about the AK Vise situation. Jay and I were on the National Pro Demo Team for AK. An absolute great experience. The comment posted about the advertising budget wasn't accurate (though I'm sure in some "small" part it did have an affect). There was a much larger picture going on, which was taken care of in court. As Jay mentioned... we spent a great deal of time speaking to AK about the situation. The vises are fine designs, and in fact, AK has recently been asked to upgrade the design. Talks are in the works. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
With respect, Ken