PDA

View Full Version : Lamprey??

Darian
02-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Hello everyone,.... After all these years wading, I've seen a lot of Lamprey in the AR..... :shock: I'm wondering if any of you Striper guys have used a Lamprey pattern for Stripers :?: :?: I've seen a pattern developed by someone from the now defunct Bob's Fly Shack in Yuba City for use on the Feather River and was supposedly effective there. 8) The only other Eel pattern I've seen is Dan Balnton's, Bay/delta Eelette.

If you have a pattern that you use and don't mind sharing, please describe it and some results.....

Thanks 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2005, 01:24 AM
The 'old bunch' tied a fly that was merely about 6 or more long thin black saddle hackles on the back of a #2/0 hook. Then bead chain or dumbbell eyes up front and a black chenille body and then wraped around the eyes for a head.

Andy Guibord has some really cool pictures of a small Lamprey out of the lower American River. We will have to see if we can get them on the board.

Darian
02-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi Bill,..... Thanks for the info. The description of that fly sounds like a variation of the Blanton pattern. The pictures of that Lamprey that Andy has would really help. :D

Darian
02-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Hello everyone,..... Noticed Lamprey individually vacuum packed in a local bait shop. The price was astronomical. :shock: I was thinking of buying one to get an idea of color/size but don't think it's worth it. :roll:
The small lamprey was about 8" in length and shaped a lot like an elongated candlefish/eulachon. :wink:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2005, 12:21 AM
We say a guy catching lamreys in the American river to sell to a bait shop. He said they were good for more than one fish.

David Lee
02-12-2005, 12:23 AM
On one of our first trips together , Rich Owings(eagle eyes !!) and I were walking from point A to B .... Rich looks at the mud plume my feet are kickin' up and says "STOP" - Lo and behold , a little lamprey (4 1/2 inches) , how he saw that thing in the muck , I'll never know . Little sucker was a medium brown color and swam like your flies never do . If you take a collander down to Paradise beach and sift the mud/sand/leaf pack , there should be some in it (lemmy know when you wanna go , I'll do the sifting :mrgreen: ) . David

Jgoding
02-12-2005, 08:15 PM
My brother caught some awhile ago and put it in my fish tank.... never saw it again, just buried itself........It was maybe 3 inches or so, but it would be cool to go sift the mud for them....

Jeff

David Lee
02-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Darian , here is my old Lamprey Siliclone . David
http://members.sparedollar.com/fadoe/IM001972.JPG

Hairstacker
02-14-2005, 09:49 AM
David, very nice! I'd bet it'd be a killer for largemouths too. :)

Darian
02-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Hi David,..... That pattern looks good. Think I might try some in brown/olive. Good on Black Bass, too, I bet. 8) 8)

The condition of your fly tying area makes me feel right at home :P :P