PDA

View Full Version : Spring run wild Steelhead and spring Halfpounders

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-06-2005, 01:21 AM
There are two biologists doing a study on the wild spring run steelhead in the lower American River. You might seen them out there checking the reds from Sailor Bar down stream for a few miles. I think these are fish that are 4 to 8 pounds. I think they are in the river in March, April, May?

We get a spring run of small chrome Halfpounder Steelhead in March/April/May that will be from Sailor Bar down to Goethe Park. These fish will get going on those afternoon caddis hatches in the riffles. We get them on #14 caddis emergers and caddis dries.

Funny, you can catch steelhead/Rainbow trout in the lower American River almost all year now.

SullyTM
02-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Bill, I guess Spring is just around the corner? You mentioned #14 caddis emergers and caddis dries. Do you have any specific "names" for these patterns used on the American, or are these flies open for tying interpretation? I'll tie some regardless. Thank you.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-06-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi Bill, I guess Spring is just around the corner? You mentioned #14 caddis emergers and caddis dries. Do you have any specific "names" for these patterns used on the American, or are these flies open for tying interpretation? I'll tie some regardless. Thank you.

We use the LaFontane emergers in green when the caddis are emerging mid-stream in the afternoon in the spring in the riffles. #12/14 on 3x/4x tippet.

We use Elk Hair Caddis, tan or green belly, but other caddis dries should work too. #12/14 on 4x/5x tippet.

Twitching the caddis dry as it floats does trigger strikes.

SullyTM
02-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Hi Bill, Thanks for the tips. I'll tie a supple of them soon. One last question: Do you recommend a 6 wt. or 8 wt outfit. I have both but does one work better than the other> Thank you.

Adam Grace
02-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Sully your six weight will be perfect. The steelhead are not huge, and the flies are easy to cast. You do not need the weight or power of an eight weight.

Half Pounders are tons of fun.

They are like powerful turbo trout! :D

SullyTM
02-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Adam, Since I broke 6 inches off of my new Sage Launch my 6 wt St. Croix will have to do. (Sage is replacing the rod)...This is my first season of steelheading...And on Super Bowl Sunday I experienced my first strike! I fly a local creek, Walnut Creek which has a very good Chinook run in the Fall. For the first time this season I saw a school of about 12 steelhead. They weren't Sacramento Suckers and after watching their movements(water clarity was good) I went through 4 flies trying to coax a strike. My last fly was a stacked(3) glue egg I made and I got off a good cast into the wind and about 15 feet in front of the steelies. One took it and for about 10 seconds I prepared myself for a battle...and then it was gone. These steelhead probably won't hang around long. A diversion damn prevents any fish from venturing to far upstream...Probably headed for the American...

David Lee
02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
SullyTM , Steelhead can't read very well , so they won't mind you using the St. Croix :P .
The Spring run fish are the toughest Steelies I've hooked - your 6 wt. will do , but NO LIGHTER than 8 lb. tippets , shoot an Email when you have a chance , there is a different way to catch them .
Also , whatever you do , check the flows this week BEFORE you come up(www.northbayweather.com) . The American is going to rise big time (8000 CFS) and will be un-fishable unless you are 15 feet tall and 2000 lbs. .
Job well done on your local fish - don't tell anyone where they are , David

egabele
02-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I learned the hard way that not all the half pounders are half pounders several years ago. I broke off 2 very nice fish which jumped, were chrome, and ate some form of caddis (I can't remember). I recall almost all the March April fish being wild and very aggressive until they've been fished over hard for several weeks. Unfortunately last year the flows were quite high in Mar/April to flush the Delta making fishing tough.