PDA

View Full Version : Where are you going this year?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Tell us where you are headed this year.

I am headed to Florida in late February for a month of grankids and fishing.

Joe Shirshac and 3 friends are headed to New Zealand in a week or so for a month trip. They have rented a van and will be driving around the South Island. This is an annual trip for thes retired fly fishers.

I am going on a 4 day float down the Grande Ronde River in mid-October with Rick Jorgenson and Don Rotsma. I just got a new Anderson Light Spey rod for this trip so I better be learning how to use it.

Scott O'Donnell's web site:

http://www.piscator.homestead.com/home.html

http://www.piscator.homestead.com/files/JoByhp.jpg

Darian
02-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Hello Everyone,..... I'm planning on taking a trip to East Cape in Late September or Early October (hoping to miss the hurricanes :lol: ). Went there in June, last year but it was too early for all out fishin'.... Still very good, tho. 8) East Cape has been described as the mexican Riviera and it's well deserved. Last year was a general vacation. This time I intend to devote more time to hardcore p...... fly fishin' :twisted: :twisted:

Los Barriles is a great little town with several good places to eat/stay. In-shore/surf fishin' is really interesting around there. There are panga fleets at La Ribera and Los Barriles. Lotsa cruisers available, as well. 8)

Think I might try a different part of East Cape this year (further down towards San Jose Del Cabo. Still researching..... 8) 8)

MSP
02-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Well I will be heading to the East Cape also. Going down in May for a week. 6 days of fishing and mucho Pacifico's. Hate to say it but I don't just use the flyrod when I go down there. Also a good chance of heading to Argentina around November. Found a pretty good deal at the Sac ISE. Actually the wife was the one who wanted to stop.

mike

Darian
02-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Have a hankering to go to somewhere on the east coast to fly fish for stripers. 8) 8) Probably not more than 5 days fishing duration. With the exception of Chesapeake Bay, I don't have much knowledge about the timing or type (surf or boat) for that area..... :? :? Don't necessarily want to freeze my tocus off :twisted:

Anybody got any information/suggestions :?: :?: :?:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Well I will be heading to the East Cape also. Going down in May for a week. 6 days of fishing and mucho Pacifico's. Hate to say it but I don't just use the flyrod when I go down there. Also a good chance of heading to Argentina around November. Found a pretty good deal at the Sac ISE. Actually the wife was the one who wanted to stop.

mike

Hi Mike,

I went to New Zealand once in November and that was a little early like early spring with cold weather and rain.

Maybe Dec- Feb for Argentina?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Have a hankering to go to somewhere on the east coast to fly fish for stripers. 8) 8) Probably not more than 5 days fishing duration. With the exception of Chesapeake Bay, I don't have much knowledge about the timing or type (surf or boat) for that area..... :? :? Don't necessarily want to freeze my tocus off :twisted:

Anybody got any information/suggestions :?: :?: :?:

Darian, I was fortunate to fish with these top east coast skiff guides. They are part of the Sage Pro Staff.

http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/index.cfm

You would just email them and get some advise after reading all their web info.

They are very busy so you have to get lucky to find any open days.

MSP
02-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey Bill,

Nice finally meeting you and Adam yesterday at the shop. Thanks for the heads up about when to go to Argentina. I'll start checking the location and weather down there. Will be going with the family so nice weather would definately be a plus.

mike

Langenbeck
02-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Bill: Off to the North Island of New Zealand in the dark of the moon in June to fish the lakes in the Rotorua area. This is night wade fishing in lakes with a floating line and a lumo smelt fly. Typical fish will be 4-6 pounds but always the possibility of an 8-10 pound fish. This will be my 18th trip to the North Island. United/Air New Zealand now have non-stop flights out of SFO.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/TongariroRainbowGordon.jpg

bhorsley
02-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Darian,
not much good new here on the striper front. 30 days of 25 kt winds has pretty much shut our fishery down. Here on the northern outer banks of north Carolina our good fly fishing for stripers starts in mid December as a rule and runs through January and if the weather is fair into Febuary.
This year off the charts until the 13th of Jan, the winds came.
ours is a sinking line fishery best from a boat big flies for the most part and nice bass. Average fish this year was around 32 to 38 inches. The big fish showed up just as the weather turned sour :cry: :cry:

Darian
02-05-2005, 10:17 PM
OK,.... I give up. :? What's a Lumo Smelt Fly :?: :?: I'm guessing something with a bit of luminescence in it.... But is the basic fly like Mrs. Simpson, Red Setter or some other NZ Pattern :?: :?:

I've long been interested in the NZ patterns for night/lake fishing 8) 8)

Langenbeck
02-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Darian: Attached is a picture of a lumo smelt fly. Body and tail have luminescent materials in them and use a flash light to charge them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/gordonl/Smeltfly.jpg

Darian
02-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Mr. Horsley,.... Thanks for the info on your area. Looks like I missed it for that place, this year..... How is spring fly fishing around Nags Head :?: :?: What type of fish are available :?: Is there any surf fly fishing there :?:

I appreciate your responses on this 8) 8)

Jay Murakoshi
02-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Let's see,

February - Seattle, Wa. Fly Fishing show
San Rafael. Fly fishing show
Ontario - Fly Fishing show and a week of Southern Cal fishing

March - Punta Gorda..... To a new lodge located south of punta gorda.
for some exploratory fishing

Kiene's for some fly tying and maybe
some striper fishing on the American
April - Baja

Kiene's Fly Fishing Fair

May - Baja

June - Baja
BC...New lodge ( not baja california)

July - Monterey Bay perch fish'n

August/Sept - Australia, Cape York

Oct - Baja

November - ?????

December - Peacock bass - Brazil

It's great to be retired

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2005, 01:30 AM
You lucky dog..............

Need a caddy?

Jay Murakoshi
02-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Hey Bill,

I would like to fit one of your Belize trips in my schedule. I'll talk to Keith or you when I come up

Jay

SullyTM
02-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Probably visit the Water, Winter, Wonderland (Michigan)...Drop a few flies on the Au Sable and Red Cedar Rivers and maybe look for a few Northern Pike in Escanaba. That and some games of cribbage with my 90 year old father.

Darian
02-09-2005, 01:55 PM
Hello everyone,..... I know, I posted earlier for a trip to Baja in late summer/fall. Now, looks like I might be able to get in a trip for Stripers in the surf/inshore at Cape Cod/Nantucket Sound/Martha's Vineyard this summer..... 8) Found some very interesting info on the subject from Kiene's and some sites they recommended. In addition, found a non-profit site, www.msba.net (Striped Bass Assoc.) for information about that area. Maybe 5 days of fishing, 2 travel. Accommodations don't sound too bad and received a response to an inquiry form a charter service about fly fishing bay/in-shore this summer. So far, I haven't found any "show stoppers". :D :D

Imagine, Stripers, Bluefish, Albies..... All on flies..... (Food, fishin', food, drink, sleep, food, fishin', ad nauseum..... :twisted: :twisted: Terrible thing but someone's gotta do it :!: :wink: :wink: )

Jay Murakoshi
02-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Darian,

A couple friends of mine fished Nantucket this year. They had a great time. I've have a trip planned for September to fish the Maine area. Then I thought about renting a car and driving south and following the fish.
That kind of fishing looks fantastic, with fish blitzing around your feet

jay

Gregg Machel
02-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Where I work, every seven years we get a sabatical (2 months paid vacation), and mine is due this summer ... Whooo Hooo!!!!! I fell in love with Montana last summer, so I plan on going back up there for most of this time during (June & July). I plan on fishing in the West Yellowstone area. I may also bring my little guy (10 years old) to the fly fishing camp for kids up in Redding, and fish up there myself for a while too.

If anyone knows any good places to go or stay in the West Yellowstone area, please let me know!

Rob
02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Trinity Alps the first week of September for a week of bowhunting and flyfishing .:D Local waters this summer like the Truckee,E.and W.forks Carson. North and Middle forks of the American river. Local lakes for Bass.

Unless I change jobs . The company I work for might be moving. :cry:

God Bless.
Rob

David Lee
02-23-2005, 04:53 PM
I should make it down to Santa Cruz (south) , Milton (east) , Drake's Estero (west) , and maybe up to the Pit (north) this year .

It's hard to be this dull ...... David

Adam Grace
02-24-2005, 02:30 AM
I think that I will take an exiting trip to exotic Rancho Seco this year :!: :lol:

Yeah BABY :!:

Darian
02-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Adam,..... "Rancho" has osme very good BB/Bluegill/Crappie fishin'.... Of course, they all glow in the dark :roll: (....and so will you if you're tubin' it :!: :P :P :twisted: )

Hairstacker
02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Rancho Seco? I fished there a couple weeks ago with my daughter. Stripped all manner of woolly worms/buggers through there and couldn't buy a bite. A guy trolling out of a boat did catch a nice trout, though. While standing on a dock, noticed a school of 3 largemouth bass swim by. . . . The place had submerged weed beds everywhere I looked, and I'm thinking there should be some good weed mats in the heat of summer. Might return then for some topwater bass bugging. :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Jay,

The best thing I know of is baby tarpon at Tarpon Cayo Lodge northwest of Cancun.

May, June, July and August.

We have a bunch of groups going there this summer.

http://www.kiene.com/TarponCayoLodgeYucatanMexico.htm

http://www.kiene.com/images/leotarpon.jpg