PDA

View Full Version : Upper Rogue - Shady Cove area information

Joseph
02-03-2005, 10:19 PM
I'm headed up to Shady Cove in a couple of weeks to give the Rogue my first attempt. Having never been there I was wondering if any of you could give me an idea of what to expect. I'll be towing my home built Don Hill drift boat up to cover as much water as possible in the 1 day that I have to fish. I was planing on hitting the "Fishin Hole" to setup a shuttle service so that I could fish from the hatchery down to the ????. What is a standard drift? Recommended flies for this time of year? Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance..

Joseph

jmircetich
02-04-2005, 09:04 AM
I would float from the hatchery down to shady cove, that is a good days drift without being too taxing. Red copper johns, red butt skunks, black rubber legs all work well.
I would also make sure I have some BWO's and stimulators, Adams for the trout as well. If you hit it right, they can be much fun.
Good Luck
Jon

Joseph
02-04-2005, 09:53 AM
I appreciate the info - thanks. Its always good to have a little info on a new area especially when you are too cheap to hire a guide! :D I'm looking forward to this trip - been about 20 years since my last trip into Oregon.

Thanks again!!!

Campbell
02-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I have fished from the hatchery down to shady but I found that when I was the one rowing I did not get a lot of fishing done. I changed and fished from the hatchery down to Rogue Elk Park. This is a good distance and allows for a lot of stopping and wade fishing. I always stay at the Obstinate J Ranch. Find out from the locals where it is and make sure you spend a lot of time fishing the holes all along that property. Some really great holding water that the guides always hit! The Fishin Hole will set you up on what patterns are working. Also go to Pat's Hand Tied Flies and get there info as well. Good Luck I love this section of the river.
Campbell

Joseph
02-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Did you mean that you now fish from Shady Cove to Rogue Ely Park or from the hatchery to the park? Is the park below Shady Cove? Sorry for all the questions but its new territory for me and the maps that I've found online haven't shown much detail.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

Terry Thomas
02-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Joseph,
From the hatchery you first come to Casey Park, a short drift. The next take out point is Rogue Elk, a nice drift from the hatchery. The next take out point is Shady Cove. There is another shuttle person that we use that is very dependable and I will try to find her number...cheaper than Fishin Hole.
Terry

Joseph
02-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the info Terry. I"ll keep an eye out for your post.

Tight lines...

Terry Thomas
02-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Joseph,
The woman's name is Tony. Her number is 541-826-2526. Many of the local guides use her and she is about half the price! I think it was $10. the last time. If the shuttle is longer such as Dodge to Tou Velle, the cost might be a little more.
Terry

Joseph
02-05-2005, 11:33 PM
I will give her a call and get it setup. I appreciate the info.

Joseph

Campbell
02-07-2005, 03:10 PM
I float from the hatchery down to Rogue Elk Park. Very Nice Float. Stay left for the first two islands and stay right at the third. The OBJ property starts right after the second island comes together with a bit of whitewater. Park the boat on the left on some flats and fish the cut banks. Good luck.
Campbell

Adam Grace
02-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Off the subject,

Joseph, I think you need to post more often :D

I really enjoy your profile picture (avitar) 8)

Very Nice :twisted:

Nip Hadlock
02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
I'd rather he didn't post with that avatar...
As a son, husband and father of girls I would hope for about
fly fishing and more respectful. Let's set a good example for the young men that enjoy this board.

Joseph
02-12-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't understand why my picture bothers you. For one thing, I am a female not a "he" and that is a picture of me during a picture shoot for the calendar. I have to admit that I didn't catch that fish as it was handed to me for the picture. Maybe they should have tossed it to me and I could then say I caught it.

Sorry if I offended you but I'll post my picture as I see fit.

Joseph (my lastname by the way)